GLASS in place of copper scrubbers

  • midnighthorseman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2007
      i was wondering...i know it gets me in trouble at times..... if using
      crushed glass would work as well as copper scrubbers or raching rings
      within a cooper tower....i use both the arc tower and a reflux tower.
      an comments of advice or otherwise would be appreciated....would use a
      scrubber or two at each end to contain the glass particles in the
      tower. mr rdy
    • Home Distiller
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2007
        --- midnighthorseman <lbc471965@...> wrote:

        > i was wondering...i know it gets me in trouble at
        > times..... if using
        > crushed glass would work as well as copper scrubbers
        > or raching rings
        > within a cooper tower....

        The reason copper/ss wool is used is because it has
        lots of surface area, much more then marbles or
        raching rings.

      • Trid
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2007
          --- midnighthorseman <lbc471965@...> wrote:

          > i was wondering...i know it gets me in trouble at times..... if using
          > crushed glass would work as well as copper scrubbers or raching rings
          > within a cooper tower....i use both the arc tower and a reflux tower.
          > an comments of advice or otherwise would be appreciated....would use a
          > scrubber or two at each end to contain the glass particles in the
          > tower. mr rdy

          In short, yes it will work...as well? No.
          It's virtually impossible to achieve the surface area present in a scrubbie or
          structured mesh in any other material. The added bonus of the copper in the
          scrubbies (as opposed to stainless scrubbies) is the sulfur removing properties
          of the copper material.
          To get an idea of how the different packing materials affect how well your
          column works, check with this calculator:
          http://homedistiller.org/refluxdesign.htm#hetp
          It should help keep things in perspective how well the materials you are using
          work. It doesn't mean you *can't* use crushed glass, just that it's probably
          not the best. Also, if your crush is too fine, there's a chance the vapor
          won't make it up through the packing.

          Trid
        • midnighthorseman
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 2, 2007
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "midnighthorseman" <lbc471965@...>
            wrote:

            > i was wondering...i know it gets me in trouble at times..... if
            using
            > crushed glass would work as well as copper scrubbers or raching
            rings
            > within a cooper tower....i use both the arc tower and a reflux
            tower.
            > an comments of advice or otherwise would be appreciated....would use
            > scrubber or two at each end to contain the glass particles in the
            > tower. mr rdy

            thanx for the input guys wasnt sure if i was gaining or not thanx for
            the support and keeping me from less palatable product