Eucalypt Wood

  • Home Distiller
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1 4:04 PM
      People keep mentioning about Tasmanian White Oak being
      a eucalypt and how eucalypt oil is a poison and I have
      no idea if any eucalypt wood would be suitable for
      aging alcohol. However after a little light reading
      (http://www.fao.org/docrep/V5350E/V5350e07.htm), I
      found out it takes a ton of leaf material to produce 1
      litre of oil and the wood only contains trace amounts
      of eucalypt oil.

      "Yields of oil from leaf vary somewhat between species
      but on a commercial scale are of the order of 1
      percent on a "fresh" basis. (Note that "leaf" in this
      context includes the woody material of the branches
      which contains little or no oil.) Of more relevance to
      the economics of production is the yield of oil per
      hectare and this is dependent on the biomass
      production as well as the oil yield from the leaf.
      Production from E. smithii in Swaziland yields
      approximately 15 tonnes/ha of leaf, corresponding to
      about 150 litres/ha of oil."

      So if the wood isn't likely contain enough eucalpyt
      oil to be poisonous, is there anything else in the
      wood that is?

      now.
      http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/