Re: thanks harry and answer to matt

  • whynda
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2007
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "plumbondude" <plumbondude@...>
      wrote:

      > Snip

      How critical do ya reckon it is to have
      > american white oak?

      g'day,

      As has been already mentioned, American White Oak is very critical to
      flavour your product. Other wood varieties have been tried with
      varying success. Obviously some timbers can be eliminated right away
      as being unsuitable due to undesirable smells and/or differing
      aromatic compounds contained therein. I live on the South Coast of
      NSW and we have a timber merchant here that stocks imported timber
      for the craft furniture and cabinet makers in the area and he has
      American White Oak and often it is possible to get small pieces from
      him at very reasonable cost. I suggest that you have a look in the
      phone book and try to track down a timber merchant in your area that
      does a similar kind of business. ..

      hope this is of help to you ....regards
    • Tony Smith
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2007
        Check out this link as it may help you identify the tree

        Enjoy

        waljaco <waljaco@...> wrote:

        Don't forget that in making barrels the oak planks are seasoned for a
        long time - many of the harsher compounds are lost. Using tree
        branches will give you a rougher product.
        wal

      • plumbondude
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 2, 2007
          Yeah I was thinking about that. Hey whats the name of the place on
          the south coast I go back home down the coast every weekend.
          Thanks for that link too tony.