Hostetter's Bitters

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2007
      See msg 39807.
      There are 3 Bitters in 'Henley's Twentieth Century Book of Formulas,
      Processes and Trade Secrets', Hiscox G. D., 1912. One is a generic
      recipe, a Brandy Bitters and the other is called Hostetter's Bitters.
      I have scaled them down to 1 litre.
      There is a renewed interest in bitters among the cocktail crowd in the
      U.S.

      Bitters (1912, U.S.)

      35 g gentian root (sliced)
      30 g cinnamon
      30 g caraway seed
      6 g juniper berries
      3 g cloves
      1 litre alcohol (55%)

      Macerate for 10 days. Strain. Bottle.

      Brandy Bitters (1912, U.S.)

      30 g gentian root (sliced)
      20 g dried orange peel
      10 g cardamon seed
      5 g cinnamon
      1 g cochineal
      1 litre brandy (40%)

      Macerate for 10 days. Strain. Bottle.

      Hostetter's Bitters (1912, U.S.)

      40 g sweet flag (Acorus calamus)
      40 g orange peel
      40 g Peruvian bark (Cinchona calisaya)
      40 g gentian root
      40 g calumba root (Jateorhiza palmata)
      10 g rhubarb root (Rheum palmatum)
      5 g cinnamon
      2.5 g cloves
      1 litre alcohol (55%)
      40 g sugar

      Macerate for 10 days. Strain. Bottle.

      wal
    • moonshinebook
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2, 2007
        Hey Wal ~

        Hostetter's was such a commonly replicated bitters that recipes for
        emulating them abounded. This one comes from a Prohibition-era
        distiller's manuscript in my collection:

        Stomach Bitters equal to Hostetter's for one quarter cost

        European gentian root – 3/4 ounce
        Orange Peel – 1 1/4 ounces
        Cinnamon – 1/8 ounce
        Anise seed – 1/4 ounce
        Coriander seed – 1/4 ounce
        Unground Peruvian bark – 1/4 ounce
        Gum Kino – 1/8 ounce

        Bruise all these and put in half pint best alcohol. Let it stand for a
        week and pour off. Boil the dregs in one pint of water. Strain and
        press out all the strength. Dissolve 1/2 pound loaf sugar in the hot
        liquid adding 1 1/2 quarts cold water and mix with the tincture first
        poured off.

        ~ Matthew

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3, 2007
          Most bitters are that bitter(Peruvian bark & gentian in this case)
          that the flavoring ingredients do not matter too much!
          I gather that their use in this manner began in London as an
          ingredient to a bittered sling using gin as the base spirit. Pimm's
          cup is a survivor of that tradition. Sling is derived from the German
          'slingen'.
          Previously they were herbal elixirs. Gentian & Cinchona calisaya is
          used in a bitters in Majorca - originally it was for malaria that was
          common here. It tastes vile taken straight!

          wal

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "moonshinebook"