Re: How critical do ya reckon it is to have American white oak? WAS RE: [Disti

    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2007
      Don't forget that in making barrels the oak planks are seasoned for a
      long time - many of the harsher compounds are lost. Using tree
      branches will give you a rougher product.
      wal

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "plumbondude" <plumbondude@...> wrote:

      > Cool I'll go and see if I can find it at homedistiller. I don't know
      > if the oak around here is american white oak but I know its not
      > native would be pretty awesome if it was the american white oak. I
      > do remember seeing some that had pretty much white bark but weather
      > white oak is named for the colour of its bark or not? I don't know.
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > Matt
      >

      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "cadence22003" <cadence22003@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > -listen to robert, matt ,, he is like the oracle very wise
      > >
      > > tasmanian oak is a form of myrtle and no aussie wood is suitable to
      > > the best of my knowledge for 2x main reasons,,,,,either too oily or
      > > too porous
      > >
      > > quercus alba is brought out from U.S. for several other reasons
      > > including the georgeous aromatics it gives up to the spirit
      > >
      > > stick to buying old bourbon barrels or chips / shavings from H.B.
      > shop
      > > [as mentioned] and follow roberts other good advice go to
      > > homedistiller.org and have a good look around , that site has a
      > > wonderful search facility
      > >
      > > happy hunting brian
      > >

      > > -- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert N" <dinks_c@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Given that you live in OZ, it is quite critical as those trees
      > could
      > > be any
      > > > sub-species. For flavouring of spirits you do need the correct
      > > variety as
      > > > some (red oak) give an awful flavour and Tasmanian oak is, I
      > believe
      > > to be a
      > > > eucalypt, which shouldn't be used at all. For a fuller answer
      > have
      > > a bit of
      > > > a search around the forums as this topic has been discussed many
      > times
      > > > previously.
      > > >

      > > > Yours in Spirit
      > > >

      > > > Robert

    • whynda
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2007
        wrote:

        > Snip

        How critical do ya reckon it is to have
        > american white oak?

        g'day,

        As has been already mentioned, American White Oak is very critical to
        flavour your product. Other wood varieties have been tried with
        varying success. Obviously some timbers can be eliminated right away
        as being unsuitable due to undesirable smells and/or differing
        aromatic compounds contained therein. I live on the South Coast of
        NSW and we have a timber merchant here that stocks imported timber
        for the craft furniture and cabinet makers in the area and he has
        American White Oak and often it is possible to get small pieces from
        him at very reasonable cost. I suggest that you have a look in the
        phone book and try to track down a timber merchant in your area that
        does a similar kind of business. ..

        hope this is of help to you ....regards
      • Tony Smith
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2007
          Check out this link as it may help you identify the tree

          Enjoy

        • plumbondude
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 2, 2007
            Yeah I was thinking about that. Hey whats the name of the place on
            the south coast I go back home down the coast every weekend.
            Thanks for that link too tony.