Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

How critical do ya reckon it is to have American white oak? WAS RE: [Distiller

Expand Messages
  • cadence22003
    -listen to robert, matt ,, he is like the oracle very wise tasmanian oak is a form of myrtle and no aussie wood is suitable to the best of my knowledge for 2x
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2007
    • 0 Attachment
      -listen to robert, matt ,, he is like the oracle very wise

      tasmanian oak is a form of myrtle and no aussie wood is suitable to
      the best of my knowledge for 2x main reasons,,,,,either too oily or
      too porous

      quercus alba is brought out from U.S. for several other reasons
      including the georgeous aromatics it gives up to the spirit

      stick to buying old bourbon barrels or chips / shavings from H.B. shop
      [as mentioned] and follow roberts other good advice go to
      homedistiller.org and have a good look around , that site has a
      wonderful search facility

      happy hunting brian



      -- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert N" <dinks_c@...> wrote:
      >
      > Given that you live in OZ, it is quite critical as those trees could
      be any
      > sub-species. For flavouring of spirits you do need the correct
      variety as
      > some (red oak) give an awful flavour and Tasmanian oak is, I believe
      to be a
      > eucalypt, which shouldn't be used at all. For a fuller answer have
      a bit of
      > a search around the forums as this topic has been discussed many times
      > previously.
      >
      >
      >
      > Yours in Spirit
      >
      >
      >
      > Robert
      >
      >
      >
      > From: Distillers@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Distillers@yahoogroups.com] On
      > Behalf Of plumbondude
      > Sent: Sunday, 1 July 2007 10:08 AM
      > To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [Distillers] Re: thanks harry and answer to matt
      >
      >
      >
      > I was wondering too, around my home town there's oak tree's growing
      > everywhere.Planted by the council. There actually a pain in the arse
      > this time of year when their dropping leaves everywhere. There seems
      > to be a few different species in and around the streets and parks. I
      > was wondering if it would be worth getting some large branches and
      > chipping them.I tried to identify what species they were a while
      > back but had no luck. How critical do ya reckon it is to have
      > american white oak?
      >
    • plumbondude
      Cool I ll go and see if I can find it at homedistiller. I don t know if the oak around here is american white oak but I know its not native would be pretty
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2007
      • 0 Attachment
        Cool I'll go and see if I can find it at homedistiller. I don't know
        if the oak around here is american white oak but I know its not
        native would be pretty awesome if it was the american white oak. I
        do remember seeing some that had pretty much white bark but weather
        white oak is named for the colour of its bark or not? I don't know.

        Cheers

        Matt


        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "cadence22003" <cadence22003@...>
        wrote:
        >
        > -listen to robert, matt ,, he is like the oracle very wise
        >
        > tasmanian oak is a form of myrtle and no aussie wood is suitable to
        > the best of my knowledge for 2x main reasons,,,,,either too oily or
        > too porous
        >
        > quercus alba is brought out from U.S. for several other reasons
        > including the georgeous aromatics it gives up to the spirit
        >
        > stick to buying old bourbon barrels or chips / shavings from H.B.
        shop
        > [as mentioned] and follow roberts other good advice go to
        > homedistiller.org and have a good look around , that site has a
        > wonderful search facility
        >
        > happy hunting brian
        >
        >
        >
        > -- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert N" <dinks_c@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Given that you live in OZ, it is quite critical as those trees
        could
        > be any
        > > sub-species. For flavouring of spirits you do need the correct
        > variety as
        > > some (red oak) give an awful flavour and Tasmanian oak is, I
        believe
        > to be a
        > > eucalypt, which shouldn't be used at all. For a fuller answer
        have
        > a bit of
        > > a search around the forums as this topic has been discussed many
        times
        > > previously.
        > >
        > >
        > >
        > > Yours in Spirit
        > >
        > >
        > >
        > > Robert
        > >
        > >
        > >
        > > From: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
        [mailto:Distillers@yahoogroups.com] On
        > > Behalf Of plumbondude
        > > Sent: Sunday, 1 July 2007 10:08 AM
        > > To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
        > > Subject: [Distillers] Re: thanks harry and answer to matt
        > >
        > >
        > >
        > > I was wondering too, around my home town there's oak tree's
        growing
        > > everywhere.Planted by the council. There actually a pain in the
        arse
        > > this time of year when their dropping leaves everywhere. There
        seems
        > > to be a few different species in and around the streets and
        parks. I
        > > was wondering if it would be worth getting some large branches
        and
        > > chipping them.I tried to identify what species they were a while
        > > back but had no luck. How critical do ya reckon it is to have
        > > american white oak?
        > >
        >
      • waljaco
        Don t forget that in making barrels the oak planks are seasoned for a long time - many of the harsher compounds are lost. Using tree branches will give you a
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2007
        • 0 Attachment
          Don't forget that in making barrels the oak planks are seasoned for a
          long time - many of the harsher compounds are lost. Using tree
          branches will give you a rougher product.
          wal

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "plumbondude" <plumbondude@...> wrote:
          >
          > Cool I'll go and see if I can find it at homedistiller. I don't know
          > if the oak around here is american white oak but I know its not
          > native would be pretty awesome if it was the american white oak. I
          > do remember seeing some that had pretty much white bark but weather
          > white oak is named for the colour of its bark or not? I don't know.
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Matt
          >
          >
          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "cadence22003" <cadence22003@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > -listen to robert, matt ,, he is like the oracle very wise
          > >
          > > tasmanian oak is a form of myrtle and no aussie wood is suitable to
          > > the best of my knowledge for 2x main reasons,,,,,either too oily or
          > > too porous
          > >
          > > quercus alba is brought out from U.S. for several other reasons
          > > including the georgeous aromatics it gives up to the spirit
          > >
          > > stick to buying old bourbon barrels or chips / shavings from H.B.
          > shop
          > > [as mentioned] and follow roberts other good advice go to
          > > homedistiller.org and have a good look around , that site has a
          > > wonderful search facility
          > >
          > > happy hunting brian
          > >
          > >
          > >
          > > -- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert N" <dinks_c@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Given that you live in OZ, it is quite critical as those trees
          > could
          > > be any
          > > > sub-species. For flavouring of spirits you do need the correct
          > > variety as
          > > > some (red oak) give an awful flavour and Tasmanian oak is, I
          > believe
          > > to be a
          > > > eucalypt, which shouldn't be used at all. For a fuller answer
          > have
          > > a bit of
          > > > a search around the forums as this topic has been discussed many
          > times
          > > > previously.
          > > >
          > > >
          > > >
          > > > Yours in Spirit
          > > >
          > > >
          > > >
          > > > Robert
          > > >
          > > >
          > > >
          > > > From: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
          > [mailto:Distillers@yahoogroups.com] On
          > > > Behalf Of plumbondude
          > > > Sent: Sunday, 1 July 2007 10:08 AM
          > > > To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
          > > > Subject: [Distillers] Re: thanks harry and answer to matt
          > > >
          > > >
          > > >
          > > > I was wondering too, around my home town there's oak tree's
          > growing
          > > > everywhere.Planted by the council. There actually a pain in the
          > arse
          > > > this time of year when their dropping leaves everywhere. There
          > seems
          > > > to be a few different species in and around the streets and
          > parks. I
          > > > was wondering if it would be worth getting some large branches
          > and
          > > > chipping them.I tried to identify what species they were a while
          > > > back but had no luck. How critical do ya reckon it is to have
          > > > american white oak?
          > > >
          > >
          >
        • whynda
          ... How critical do ya reckon it is to have ... g day, As has been already mentioned, American White Oak is very critical to flavour your product. Other wood
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 1, 2007
          • 0 Attachment
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "plumbondude" <plumbondude@...>
            wrote:
            >
            > Snip


            How critical do ya reckon it is to have
            > american white oak?
            >



            g'day,

            As has been already mentioned, American White Oak is very critical to
            flavour your product. Other wood varieties have been tried with
            varying success. Obviously some timbers can be eliminated right away
            as being unsuitable due to undesirable smells and/or differing
            aromatic compounds contained therein. I live on the South Coast of
            NSW and we have a timber merchant here that stocks imported timber
            for the craft furniture and cabinet makers in the area and he has
            American White Oak and often it is possible to get small pieces from
            him at very reasonable cost. I suggest that you have a look in the
            phone book and try to track down a timber merchant in your area that
            does a similar kind of business. ..

            hope this is of help to you ....regards
          • Tony Smith
            Check out this link as it may help you identify the tree http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_oak Enjoy waljaco wrote: Don t forget that in
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 1, 2007
            • 0 Attachment
              Check out this link as it may help you identify the tree
               
               
              Enjoy
               


              waljaco <waljaco@...> wrote:

              Don't forget that in making barrels the oak planks are seasoned for a
              long time - many of the harsher compounds are lost. Using tree
              branches will give you a rougher product.
              wal

              --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "plumbondude" <plumbondude@ ...> wrote:
              >
              > Cool I'll go and see if I can find it at homedistiller. I don't know
              > if the oak around here is american white oak but I know its not
              > native would be pretty awesome if it was the american white oak. I
              > do remember seeing some that had pretty much white bark but weather
              > white oak is named for the colour of its bark or not? I don't know.
              >
              > Cheers
              >
              > Matt
              >
              >
              > --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "cadence22003" <cadence22003@ >
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > -listen to robert, matt ,, he is like the oracle very wise
              > >
              > > tasmanian oak is a form of myrtle and no aussie wood is suitable to
              > > the best of my knowledge for 2x main reasons,,,,, either too oily or
              > > too porous
              > >
              > > quercus alba is brought out from U.S. for several other reasons
              > > including the georgeous aromatics it gives up to the spirit
              > >
              > > stick to buying old bourbon barrels or chips / shavings from H.B.
              > shop
              > > [as mentioned] and follow roberts other good advice go to
              > > homedistiller. org and have a good look around , that site has a
              > > wonderful search facility
              > >
              > > happy hunting brian
              > >
              > >
              > >
              > > -- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "Robert N" <dinks_c@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Given that you live in OZ, it is quite critical as those trees
              > could
              > > be any
              > > > sub-species. For flavouring of spirits you do need the correct
              > > variety as
              > > > some (red oak) give an awful flavour and Tasmanian oak is, I
              > believe
              > > to be a
              > > > eucalypt, which shouldn't be used at all. For a fuller answer
              > have
              > > a bit of
              > > > a search around the forums as this topic has been discussed many
              > times
              > > > previously.
              > > >
              > > >
              > > >
              > > > Yours in Spirit
              > > >
              > > >
              > > >
              > > > Robert
              > > >
              > > >
              > > >
              > > > From: Distillers@yahoogro ups.com
              > [mailto:Distillers@yahoogro ups.com] On
              > > > Behalf Of plumbondude
              > > > Sent: Sunday, 1 July 2007 10:08 AM
              > > > To: Distillers@yahoogro ups.com
              > > > Subject: [Distillers] Re: thanks harry and answer to matt
              > > >
              > > >
              > > >
              > > > I was wondering too, around my home town there's oak tree's
              > growing
              > > > everywhere.Planted by the council. There actually a pain in the
              > arse
              > > > this time of year when their dropping leaves everywhere. There
              > seems
              > > > to be a few different species in and around the streets and
              > parks. I
              > > > was wondering if it would be worth getting some large branches
              > and
              > > > chipping them.I tried to identify what species they were a while
              > > > back but had no luck. How critical do ya reckon it is to have
              > > > american white oak?
              > > >
              > >
              >



              Pinpoint customers who are looking for what you sell.

            • plumbondude
              Yeah I was thinking about that. Hey whats the name of the place on the south coast I go back home down the coast every weekend. Thanks for that link too tony.
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 2, 2007
              • 0 Attachment
                Yeah I was thinking about that. Hey whats the name of the place on
                the south coast I go back home down the coast every weekend.
                Thanks for that link too tony.

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "whynda" <hstuiber@...> wrote:
                >
                > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "plumbondude" <plumbondude@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Snip
                >
                >
                > How critical do ya reckon it is to have
                > > american white oak?
                > >
                >
                >
                >
                > g'day,
                >
                > As has been already mentioned, American White Oak is very critical
                to
                > flavour your product. Other wood varieties have been tried with
                > varying success. Obviously some timbers can be eliminated right
                away
                > as being unsuitable due to undesirable smells and/or differing
                > aromatic compounds contained therein. I live on the South Coast of
                > NSW and we have a timber merchant here that stocks imported timber
                > for the craft furniture and cabinet makers in the area and he has
                > American White Oak and often it is possible to get small pieces
                from
                > him at very reasonable cost. I suggest that you have a look in the
                > phone book and try to track down a timber merchant in your area
                that
                > does a similar kind of business. ..
                >
                > hope this is of help to you ....regards
                >
              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.