How critical do ya reckon it is to have American white oak? WAS RE: [Distillers] Re: thanks harry and answer to matt

  • Robert N
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 30, 2007

      Given that you live in OZ, it is quite critical as those trees could be any sub-species. For flavouring of spirits you do need the correct variety as some (red oak) give an awful flavour and Tasmanian oak is, I believe to be a eucalypt, which shouldn’t be used at all.  For a fuller answer have a bit of a search around the forums as this topic has been discussed many times previously.

      Yours in Spirit

      Robert

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2007
        -listen to robert, matt ,, he is like the oracle very wise

        tasmanian oak is a form of myrtle and no aussie wood is suitable to
        the best of my knowledge for 2x main reasons,,,,,either too oily or
        too porous

        quercus alba is brought out from U.S. for several other reasons
        including the georgeous aromatics it gives up to the spirit

        stick to buying old bourbon barrels or chips / shavings from H.B. shop
        [as mentioned] and follow roberts other good advice go to
        homedistiller.org and have a good look around , that site has a
        wonderful search facility

        happy hunting brian

        -- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert N" <dinks_c@...> wrote:

        > Given that you live in OZ, it is quite critical as those trees could
        be any
        > sub-species. For flavouring of spirits you do need the correct
        variety as
        > some (red oak) give an awful flavour and Tasmanian oak is, I believe
        to be a
        > eucalypt, which shouldn't be used at all. For a fuller answer have
        a bit of
        > a search around the forums as this topic has been discussed many times
        > previously.
        >

        > Yours in Spirit
        >

        > Robert

      • plumbondude
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2007
          Cool I'll go and see if I can find it at homedistiller. I don't know
          if the oak around here is american white oak but I know its not
          native would be pretty awesome if it was the american white oak. I
          do remember seeing some that had pretty much white bark but weather
          white oak is named for the colour of its bark or not? I don't know.

          Cheers

          Matt

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "cadence22003" <cadence22003@...>

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 1, 2007
            Don't forget that in making barrels the oak planks are seasoned for a
            long time - many of the harsher compounds are lost. Using tree
            branches will give you a rougher product.
            wal

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "plumbondude" <plumbondude@...> wrote:

            > Cool I'll go and see if I can find it at homedistiller. I don't know
            > if the oak around here is american white oak but I know its not
            > native would be pretty awesome if it was the american white oak. I
            > do remember seeing some that had pretty much white bark but weather
            > white oak is named for the colour of its bark or not? I don't know.
            >
            > Cheers
            >
            > Matt
            >

            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "cadence22003" <cadence22003@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > -listen to robert, matt ,, he is like the oracle very wise
            > >
            > > tasmanian oak is a form of myrtle and no aussie wood is suitable to
            > > the best of my knowledge for 2x main reasons,,,,,either too oily or
            > > too porous
            > >
            > > quercus alba is brought out from U.S. for several other reasons
            > > including the georgeous aromatics it gives up to the spirit
            > >
            > > stick to buying old bourbon barrels or chips / shavings from H.B.
            > shop
            > > [as mentioned] and follow roberts other good advice go to
            > > homedistiller.org and have a good look around , that site has a
            > > wonderful search facility
            > >
            > > happy hunting brian
            > >

            > > -- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert N" <dinks_c@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Given that you live in OZ, it is quite critical as those trees
            > could
            > > be any
            > > > sub-species. For flavouring of spirits you do need the correct
            > > variety as
            > > > some (red oak) give an awful flavour and Tasmanian oak is, I
            > believe
            > > to be a
            > > > eucalypt, which shouldn't be used at all. For a fuller answer
            > have
            > > a bit of
            > > > a search around the forums as this topic has been discussed many
            > times
            > > > previously.
            > > >

            > > > Yours in Spirit
            > > >

            > > > Robert

          • whynda
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 1, 2007
              wrote:

              > Snip

              How critical do ya reckon it is to have
              > american white oak?

              g'day,

              As has been already mentioned, American White Oak is very critical to
              flavour your product. Other wood varieties have been tried with
              varying success. Obviously some timbers can be eliminated right away
              as being unsuitable due to undesirable smells and/or differing
              aromatic compounds contained therein. I live on the South Coast of
              NSW and we have a timber merchant here that stocks imported timber
              for the craft furniture and cabinet makers in the area and he has
              American White Oak and often it is possible to get small pieces from
              him at very reasonable cost. I suggest that you have a look in the
              phone book and try to track down a timber merchant in your area that
              does a similar kind of business. ..

              hope this is of help to you ....regards
            • Tony Smith
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 1, 2007
                Check out this link as it may help you identify the tree

                Enjoy

              • plumbondude
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 2, 2007
                  Yeah I was thinking about that. Hey whats the name of the place on
                  the south coast I go back home down the coast every weekend.
                  Thanks for that link too tony.