thanks harry and answer to matt

  • cadence22003
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 30, 2007
      thanks harry

      technique beats brute strength and ignorance at all times

      i had been getting into your site via the url only,,,AH ! well at
      least i'm not completly stupid ,, but i'm working on it and hope to be
      complete by next tuesday

      MATT i malt barley for taste and enzymes/nutrients [and anything else
      that will play the game]also use molasses for taste and nutrients,, a
      bit of white sugar and bakers yeast [so called]

      although i have a reflux still and operate it as such, double
      distillation is considered normal here mainly to re-run the low wines
      in fresh / clean water,,viva le difference

      the reflux ratio is 12;1 both times through and from the high wines
      [yield] i can then go in any direction

      just recently started making my own flavours and have a carribean rum
      profile up and away

      but i find one of the most true to style things you can do is buy
      american white oak [quercus alba]chips / shavings from your local H.B.
      shop ,, toast them ,if not already done,,in a 200 C oven for ten
      minutes or so ,,don't forget to leave door open a tad or you know
      what,,then soak them for 2x weeks in 80-ish % spirit then apply to end
      product at 50ml / litre or to taste

      many regards brian
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 30, 2007
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "cadence22003" <cadence22003@...>
        wrote:

        > thanks harry
        >
        > technique beats brute strength and ignorance at all times
        >
        > i had been getting into your site via the url only,,,AH ! well at
        > least i'm not completly stupid ,, but i'm working on it and hope
        to be
        > complete by next tuesday

        The direct url to my site is here...

        Enjoy!

      • plumbondude
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 30, 2007
          Yeah I got 7 planks off an old burbon barrel recently and got my
          father in law to put them through his new chipper for me. I assume
          it was white oak, it reeked of burbon. I kept half for myself and
          Gave the other half to the a friend. Now Im kinda kicking myself
          because I've run out and the rum I put it in tastes primo.

          wrote:

          > thanks harry
          >
          > technique beats brute strength and ignorance at all times
          >
          > i had been getting into your site via the url only,,,AH ! well at
          > least i'm not completly stupid ,, but i'm working on it and hope
          to be
          > complete by next tuesday
          >
          > MATT i malt barley for taste and enzymes/nutrients [and anything
          else
          > that will play the game]also use molasses for taste and
          nutrients,, a
          > bit of white sugar and bakers yeast [so called]
          >
          > although i have a reflux still and operate it as such, double
          > distillation is considered normal here mainly to re-run the low
          wines
          > in fresh / clean water,,viva le difference
          >
          > the reflux ratio is 12;1 both times through and from the high wines
          > [yield] i can then go in any direction
          >
          > just recently started making my own flavours and have a carribean
          rum
          > profile up and away
          >
          > but i find one of the most true to style things you can do is buy
          > american white oak [quercus alba]chips / shavings from your local
          H.B.
          > shop ,, toast them ,if not already done,,in a 200 C oven for ten
          > minutes or so ,,don't forget to leave door open a tad or you know
          > what,,then soak them for 2x weeks in 80-ish % spirit then apply to
          end
          > product at 50ml / litre or to taste
          >
          > many regards brian

        • plumbondude
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 30, 2007
            I was wondering too, around my home town there's oak tree's growing
            everywhere.Planted by the council. There actually a pain in the arse
            this time of year when their dropping leaves everywhere. There seems
            to be a few different species in and around the streets and parks. I
            was wondering if it would be worth getting some large branches and
            chipping them.I tried to identify what species they were a while
            back but had no luck. How critical do ya reckon it is to have
            american white oak?

            wrote:

            > thanks harry
            >
            > technique beats brute strength and ignorance at all times
            >
            > i had been getting into your site via the url only,,,AH ! well at
            > least i'm not completly stupid ,, but i'm working on it and hope
            to be
            > complete by next tuesday
            >
            > MATT i malt barley for taste and enzymes/nutrients [and anything
            else
            > that will play the game]also use molasses for taste and
            nutrients,, a
            > bit of white sugar and bakers yeast [so called]
            >
            > although i have a reflux still and operate it as such, double
            > distillation is considered normal here mainly to re-run the low
            wines
            > in fresh / clean water,,viva le difference
            >
            > the reflux ratio is 12;1 both times through and from the high wines
            > [yield] i can then go in any direction
            >
            > just recently started making my own flavours and have a carribean
            rum
            > profile up and away
            >
            > but i find one of the most true to style things you can do is buy
            > american white oak [quercus alba]chips / shavings from your local
            H.B.
            > shop ,, toast them ,if not already done,,in a 200 C oven for ten
            > minutes or so ,,don't forget to leave door open a tad or you know
            > what,,then soak them for 2x weeks in 80-ish % spirit then apply to
            end
            > product at 50ml / litre or to taste
            >
            > many regards brian

          • Robert N
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 30, 2007

              Given that you live in OZ, it is quite critical as those trees could be any sub-species. For flavouring of spirits you do need the correct variety as some (red oak) give an awful flavour and Tasmanian oak is, I believe to be a eucalypt, which shouldn’t be used at all.  For a fuller answer have a bit of a search around the forums as this topic has been discussed many times previously.

              Yours in Spirit

              Robert

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 1, 2007
                -listen to robert, matt ,, he is like the oracle very wise

                tasmanian oak is a form of myrtle and no aussie wood is suitable to
                the best of my knowledge for 2x main reasons,,,,,either too oily or
                too porous

                quercus alba is brought out from U.S. for several other reasons
                including the georgeous aromatics it gives up to the spirit

                stick to buying old bourbon barrels or chips / shavings from H.B. shop
                [as mentioned] and follow roberts other good advice go to
                homedistiller.org and have a good look around , that site has a
                wonderful search facility

                happy hunting brian

                -- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert N" <dinks_c@...> wrote:

                > Given that you live in OZ, it is quite critical as those trees could
                be any
                > sub-species. For flavouring of spirits you do need the correct
                variety as
                > some (red oak) give an awful flavour and Tasmanian oak is, I believe
                to be a
                > eucalypt, which shouldn't be used at all. For a fuller answer have
                a bit of
                > a search around the forums as this topic has been discussed many times
                > previously.
                >

                > Yours in Spirit
                >

                > Robert

              • plumbondude
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 1, 2007
                  Cool I'll go and see if I can find it at homedistiller. I don't know
                  if the oak around here is american white oak but I know its not
                  native would be pretty awesome if it was the american white oak. I
                  do remember seeing some that had pretty much white bark but weather
                  white oak is named for the colour of its bark or not? I don't know.

                  Cheers

                  Matt

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 1, 2007
                    Don't forget that in making barrels the oak planks are seasoned for a
                    long time - many of the harsher compounds are lost. Using tree
                    branches will give you a rougher product.
                    wal

                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "plumbondude" <plumbondude@...> wrote:

                    > Cool I'll go and see if I can find it at homedistiller. I don't know
                    > if the oak around here is american white oak but I know its not
                    > native would be pretty awesome if it was the american white oak. I
                    > do remember seeing some that had pretty much white bark but weather
                    > white oak is named for the colour of its bark or not? I don't know.
                    >
                    > Cheers
                    >
                    > Matt
                    >

                    > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "cadence22003" <cadence22003@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > -listen to robert, matt ,, he is like the oracle very wise
                    > >
                    > > tasmanian oak is a form of myrtle and no aussie wood is suitable to
                    > > the best of my knowledge for 2x main reasons,,,,,either too oily or
                    > > too porous
                    > >
                    > > quercus alba is brought out from U.S. for several other reasons
                    > > including the georgeous aromatics it gives up to the spirit
                    > >
                    > > stick to buying old bourbon barrels or chips / shavings from H.B.
                    > shop
                    > > [as mentioned] and follow roberts other good advice go to
                    > > homedistiller.org and have a good look around , that site has a
                    > > wonderful search facility
                    > >
                    > > happy hunting brian
                    > >

                    > > -- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert N" <dinks_c@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Given that you live in OZ, it is quite critical as those trees
                    > could
                    > > be any
                    > > > sub-species. For flavouring of spirits you do need the correct
                    > > variety as
                    > > > some (red oak) give an awful flavour and Tasmanian oak is, I
                    > believe
                    > > to be a
                    > > > eucalypt, which shouldn't be used at all. For a fuller answer
                    > have
                    > > a bit of
                    > > > a search around the forums as this topic has been discussed many
                    > times
                    > > > previously.
                    > > >

                    > > > Yours in Spirit
                    > > >

                    > > > Robert

                  • whynda
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 1, 2007
                      wrote:

                      > Snip

                      How critical do ya reckon it is to have
                      > american white oak?

                      g'day,

                      As has been already mentioned, American White Oak is very critical to
                      flavour your product. Other wood varieties have been tried with
                      varying success. Obviously some timbers can be eliminated right away
                      as being unsuitable due to undesirable smells and/or differing
                      aromatic compounds contained therein. I live on the South Coast of
                      NSW and we have a timber merchant here that stocks imported timber
                      for the craft furniture and cabinet makers in the area and he has
                      American White Oak and often it is possible to get small pieces from
                      him at very reasonable cost. I suggest that you have a look in the
                      phone book and try to track down a timber merchant in your area that
                      does a similar kind of business. ..

                      hope this is of help to you ....regards
                    • Tony Smith
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 1, 2007
                        Check out this link as it may help you identify the tree

                        Enjoy

                      • plumbondude
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 2, 2007
                          Yeah I was thinking about that. Hey whats the name of the place on
                          the south coast I go back home down the coast every weekend.
                          Thanks for that link too tony.