Re: Caustic cleaning kegs

  • William Hutchins
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 29, 2007
      My question was more if anyone knew what sort of a solution of
      caustic the breweries used, that is to say, the caustic -to-water
      ratio for a good clean without being unnecessarily strong. Having
      once eaten holes in a SS container when I tried soaking it in
      bleach, I don't want to overdo it!

      To those who haven't used the stuff, caustics like lye are quite
      awesome in their ability to vanish organic material, which makes
      them ideal for this particular application, cleaning out an
      unmodified keg through the tiny access hole.

      Like all really strong cleaners, lye is powerful stuff, and care
      must be taken (eye protection, gloves especially) when using it. I
      usually take my clothes off immediately after working with the
      stuff, and throw them all in the washer, since (as with acid) a
      drop or two left on can eventually burn a hole in them. BTW the
      slippery feeling you get on your hands when you expose them to
      a lye solution is apparently the outer skin cells turning to mush!