Fwd: yeast nutrient for fermenting bananas?

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 23, 2001
      Geoff,
      Strounge has had experience with bananas - see msg 3271.
      For traditional "banana beer" see
      http://www.fao.org/docrep/x0560e/x0560e09.htm
      Bananas are 20-25% sugar.
      In East Africa, the bananas are cooked, squashed, and water added to
      extract the sugars, then strained, similar to the malting technique.
      Grain is added to the mash - roasted or malted. Possibly for EC-1118
      to give a turbo effect, you need a double amount than for normal wine
      making, and extra nutrients. See Tony's site on fruit/vegetable
      washes.
      Season's Greetings,
      Wal

      --- In Distillers@y..., Geoff Redman <gredman@c...> wrote:
      Hello all,

      I just came across a cheap shipload of bananas. Is it necessary
      to add yeast nutrient to a wash of bananas, sugar, water, lemons for
      acid, pectozyme, and yeast. I was thinking of using Lavlin EC-1118
      (i.e., champagne yeast) but I'm open to suggestions.

      Happy holidays,
      geoff
      --- End forwarded message ---