New Distillery Video

  • Home Distiller
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 25, 2007
      Let me know if these links are boring anyone, I'm
      posting them in part as a sort of book mark for
      myself, but anyways, I came across this hour long
      video of what looks like a new distillery and it gives
      a lot of information I found interesting, especially
      for those that are thinking of going commercial.

      http://www.brightcove.com/title.jsp?title=494613917&channel=422975262

    • tyler_97355
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 25, 2007
        First off, this is a long video. I think it's more of a comedy. These
        guys sound like they just woke up one morning and said "I'm going to
        open a distillery". For some reason they think that yeast turns starch
        into sugar, and copper turns water into ethanol. I also find it
        interesting how they can spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a
        B-H still and fermenters, but they can't buy a $2000 commercial bottle
        filler?

        All in all, they are following their dreams, and I hope it works out
        for them, but my god, read a book. Someone please, find out where they
        live, smack them around a few times, and give them a copy of "The
        Compleat Distiller". I guess this is just a good example of why some
        small businesses fail.

        Anyway, thats just my two cents. I'm sorry, I had to.

        -Tyler

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Home Distiller <home_distiller@...>
        wrote:

        > Let me know if these links are boring anyone, I'm
        > posting them in part as a sort of book mark for
        > myself, but anyways, I came across this hour long
        > video of what looks like a new distillery and it gives
        > a lot of information I found interesting, especially
        > for those that are thinking of going commercial.
        >
        > http://www.brightcove.com/title.jsp?title=494613917&channel=422975262

        > Yahoo! Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't settle for less,
        sign up for
        > your free account today
        http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44106/*http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/mail/winter07.html

      • Home Distiller
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 25, 2007
          --- tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...> wrote:

          > B-H still and fermenters, but they can't buy a $2000
          > commercial bottle
          > filler?

          I found that a tad strange also, but I think they were
          trying to sort out in a very crude way the best way to
          go, ie by the truck load or by their own machine, cost
          of the power to heat the water etc etc etc

          > for them, but my god, read a book. Someone please,
          > find out where they
          > live, smack them around a few times, and give them a

          Glouster MA...

          > Anyway, thats just my two cents. I'm sorry, I had
          > to.

          Some better post-production editting would have been
          nice, rather then using an uneditted copy.

          now.
          http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/
        • Trid
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 25, 2007
            --- tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...> wrote:

            > First off, this is a long video. I think it's more of a comedy. These
            > guys sound like they just woke up one morning and said "I'm going to
            > open a distillery". For some reason they think that yeast turns starch
            > into sugar, and copper turns water into ethanol.

            Yes, I agree...it made my head hurt watching the guy try to explain the
            process.

            > I also find it
            > interesting how they can spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a
            > B-H still and fermenters, but they can't buy a $2000 commercial bottle
            > filler?

            So my question becomes:
            Where on earth does a know-nothing like that get the startup captial to afford
            a right enviable Holstein still like that and the place to put it. I wonder if
            he's hiring a distiller...or perhaps a consultant?

            > All in all, they are following their dreams, and I hope it works out
            > for them, but my god, read a book. Someone please, find out where they
            > live, smack them around a few times, and give them a copy of "The
            > Compleat Distiller". I guess this is just a good example of why some
            > small businesses fail.

            I'm with you on that...but then again, I don't mind being a vulture and asking
            to buy that thing second-hand when they give up :)

            I can't wait to see the look on their face when they "Pump down" their interim
            "mash tun" and watch all the grain come out with their "starch water."

            This is what you get when you try to get going based on the instructions of
            salesmen and not people in the field.

            Trid
            -I wonder if he's hiring