external boiler

  • cadence22003
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2007
      anybody using the very gentle system to power your still

      by placing the still in a pot of boiling water

      this is/was a method used by cognac/brandy distillers in days gone by
      to allegadly give a cleaner distillate yield

      terribly inneficient but not burnt off flavours

      many regards brian
    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 3, 2007
        I've tried that for a small essence still and does work but is
        extremely slow. A mate of mine built a refular sized still where the
        boiler is in oil bath that is heated. No test runs so far but in
        principle it sounds really promising. You can easily heat the oil to
        120-140C where heat difference is much larger giving faster running.
        At 120C it takes ages to make fries so I assume scorching is not very
        likely either.

        Cheers, Riku

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "cadence22003" <cadence22003@...>