Re: Mackenzie's ten thousand receipts,....

  • stevolate
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2007
      Hi Wal
      What a great find.
      Talk about a lot of interesting reading.
      You must spend many yours searching.
      Thanks

      Happy drinking

      Stevo

      > This book was published in 1867 and is therefore earlier than The
      > Household Cyclopedia which was published in 1881.
      > Like the The Household Cyclopedia it contains a section on
      > Distillation. A good source for historic British and U.S.recipes.
      >
      > http://www.archive.org/details/mackenziestentho00mackrich
      >
      > wal
    • ian andersen
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2007
        Thanks, great find Wal
        I just love the section on page 289
        "BRANDIES AND WHISKEYS, FACTITIOUS."
        WHISKEYS.
        "Irish Whiskey.
        Neutral spirits, 4 galls. ; refined sugar, 3 Ibs., in
        water, 4 qts. ; creasote, 4 drops ; color with 4 oz.
        of burnt sugar.
        Scotch Whiskey.
        Neutral spirits, 4 galls. ; alcoholic solution of
        starch, 1 gall. ; creasote, 5 drops ; cochineal tincture,
        4 wineglassfuls ; burnt sugar coloring, i pt."

        Creasote! I always thought that stuff was only good for repelling
        termites ;-)

        Ian

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2007
          The Household Cyclopedia has similar recipes and possibly used this
          book as its source. Creosote is carcinogenic. Take care with historic
          recipes - consumer protection was not a priority in the good old days!
          wal