Re: SV: RE: [Distillers] low water use condenser?

  • Rasmus
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 1, 2007
      In all pH environments except neutral, I would not use aluminium. But
      pure alcohol has pH 7 and should thus not effect the metal nor should
      the aluminum convector effect the alcohol.

      /Vini

      > Convectors are quite a good solution, unfortunately distillers
      > community has not quite realized it yet. The only issue is that some
      > convectors are made of aluminium which is somewhat debated as still
      > construction material. 2 meters of those convectors with ambient
      > cooling is also enough to cool 1kW. IMO that's quite ideal solution
      > since it has no moving parts, i.e. nothing to go wrong and no water or
      > electricity consumption :)
      >
      > Cheers, Riku
      >
      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Lennart Olsson <wineifera@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Is this more efficient than using a simple convector? I use one (1
      > m) with fans and its enough to cool at least 1 kW at ~20°C. Then you
      > wouldn´t need any water at all. But ofcourse Crete is often hotter
      > than my room temerature.
      > >
      > > /Vini

    • Robert Thomas
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 1, 2007
        Ah, but it isn't pure alcohol when it hits the condenser:
        in a pot type, you never get pure alcohol, and in a reflux setup, lots
        of impurities are returned to the column from the condenser.
        imo anyway.
        Rob.

        --- Rasmus <wineifera@...> wrote:

        > In all pH environments except neutral, I would not use aluminium. But
        > pure alcohol has pH 7 and should thus not effect the metal nor should
        > the aluminum convector effect the alcohol.
        >
        > /Vini
        >

        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Convectors are quite a good solution, unfortunately distillers
        > > community has not quite realized it yet. The only issue is that
        > some
        > > convectors are made of aluminium which is somewhat debated as still
        >
        > > construction material. 2 meters of those convectors with ambient
        > > cooling is also enough to cool 1kW. IMO that's quite ideal solution
        >
        > > since it has no moving parts, i.e. nothing to go wrong and no water
        > or
        > > electricity consumption :)
        > >
        > > Cheers, Riku
        > >
        > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Lennart Olsson <wineifera@>
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Is this more efficient than using a simple convector? I use one
        > (1
        > > m) with fans and its enough to cool at least 1 kW at ~20°C. Then
        > you
        > > wouldn´t need any water at all. But ofcourse Crete is often hotter
        > > than my room temerature.
        > > >
        > > > /Vini

        Cheers,
        Rob.

        The fish are biting.
      • Rasmus
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 1, 2007
          True! I just measure pH on som heads and some tails and the pH is very
          close to 7 on both I understand the general problem and might change
          my convectors in the future to copper tube convectors. They are also
          available on the market.

          Still I must say that convectors are such a simple solution for
          condensing both reflux and procuct so I don't think I'll ever switch
          to watercooling.

          /Vini

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...> wrote:

          > Ah, but it isn't pure alcohol when it hits the condenser:
          > in a pot type, you never get pure alcohol, and in a reflux setup, lots
          > of impurities are returned to the column from the condenser.
          > imo anyway.
          > Rob.
          >
          > --- Rasmus <wineifera@...> wrote:
          >
          > > In all pH environments except neutral, I would not use aluminium. But
          > > pure alcohol has pH 7 and should thus not effect the metal nor should
          > > the aluminum convector effect the alcohol.
          > >
          > > /Vini
          > >

          > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Convectors are quite a good solution, unfortunately distillers
          > > > community has not quite realized it yet. The only issue is that
          > > some
          > > > convectors are made of aluminium which is somewhat debated as still
          > >
          > > > construction material. 2 meters of those convectors with ambient
          > > > cooling is also enough to cool 1kW. IMO that's quite ideal solution
          > >
          > > > since it has no moving parts, i.e. nothing to go wrong and no water
          > > or
          > > > electricity consumption :)
          > > >
          > > > Cheers, Riku
          > > >
          > > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Lennart Olsson <wineifera@>

          > > (1
          > > > m) with fans and its enough to cool at least 1 kW at ~20°C. Then
          > > you
          > > > wouldn´t need any water at all. But ofcourse Crete is often hotter
          > > > than my room temerature.

          > Cheers,
          > Rob.

          > The fish are biting.
          > http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/arp/sponsoredsearch_v2.php

        • Matt
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 1, 2007
            How exactly does convective cooling work?

            > Convectors are quite a good solution, unfortunately distillers
            > community has not quite realized it yet. The only issue is that some
            > convectors are made of aluminium which is somewhat debated as still
            > construction material. 2 meters of those convectors with ambient
            > cooling is also enough to cool 1kW. IMO that's quite ideal solution
            > since it has no moving parts, i.e. nothing to go wrong and no water or
            > electricity consumption :)
            >
            > Cheers, Riku
            >
            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Lennart Olsson <wineifera@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Is this more efficient than using a simple convector? I use one (1
            > m) with fans and its enough to cool at least 1 kW at ~20�C. Then you
            > wouldn�t need any water at all. But ofcourse Crete is often hotter
            > than my room temerature.
            > >
            > > /Vini

          • abbababbaccc
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 1, 2007
              A simple ambient cooled power management head made out of two 1 meter
              convector pipes:

              Full reflux at ~500W and max. power ~1kW. I believe Vini has some
              pictures of fan assisted versions. With fans you can at least triple
              the cooling efficiency.

              Cheers, Riku

              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 1, 2007
                Convectors are e.g. used in mobile homes for heating purposes. They
                usally consist of a tube (0.4 m to 1,5 m or so) with attached thin
                aluminium cooling fins each 5 mm. In horisontal position the ambient
                cooling capacity is ~0.5 kW/m but with appropriate fans you can boost
                this 2 to 3 to ? times.

                In my CM-ARC setup I have a 1 m reflux convector with 11 small
                "PC-fans" attached and an 0.7 m product condensing convector with a
                normal household fan. The reflux convector is almost horizontal
                (50-100 mm "angle") and the other one is vertical. That's the CM-part.
                To accomplish an ARC I use a thermostat with a 0.1°C accuracy. The
                sensor is placed 2/3 from the top of the column (1.5 m) and controls 6
                of the fans, the others work all the time. When temp gets over ~80°C
                these 6 fans start working and gives full reflux for a while until the
                temperature gets below the set temperature. Works like a clock and I
                run my boiler to 100°C without a trace of tails!

                /Vini