Re: [Distillers] Re: low water use condenser?

  • Robert Thomas
    Message 1 of 21 , May 31, 2007
      thanks for all the info, everyone! I think I'll work with harry's
      (easy) suggestion first. But since I'm not moving any time soon, i have
      time to play with a few designs.
      Cheers
      rob.

      Cheers,
      Rob.

    • Rasmus
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 1, 2007
        In all pH environments except neutral, I would not use aluminium. But
        pure alcohol has pH 7 and should thus not effect the metal nor should
        the aluminum convector effect the alcohol.

        /Vini

        > Convectors are quite a good solution, unfortunately distillers
        > community has not quite realized it yet. The only issue is that some
        > convectors are made of aluminium which is somewhat debated as still
        > construction material. 2 meters of those convectors with ambient
        > cooling is also enough to cool 1kW. IMO that's quite ideal solution
        > since it has no moving parts, i.e. nothing to go wrong and no water or
        > electricity consumption :)
        >
        > Cheers, Riku
        >
        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Lennart Olsson <wineifera@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Is this more efficient than using a simple convector? I use one (1
        > m) with fans and its enough to cool at least 1 kW at ~20°C. Then you
        > wouldn´t need any water at all. But ofcourse Crete is often hotter
        > than my room temerature.
        > >
        > > /Vini

      • Robert Thomas
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 1, 2007
          Ah, but it isn't pure alcohol when it hits the condenser:
          in a pot type, you never get pure alcohol, and in a reflux setup, lots
          of impurities are returned to the column from the condenser.
          imo anyway.
          Rob.

          --- Rasmus <wineifera@...> wrote:

          > In all pH environments except neutral, I would not use aluminium. But
          > pure alcohol has pH 7 and should thus not effect the metal nor should
          > the aluminum convector effect the alcohol.
          >
          > /Vini
          >

          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Convectors are quite a good solution, unfortunately distillers
          > > community has not quite realized it yet. The only issue is that
          > some
          > > convectors are made of aluminium which is somewhat debated as still
          >
          > > construction material. 2 meters of those convectors with ambient
          > > cooling is also enough to cool 1kW. IMO that's quite ideal solution
          >
          > > since it has no moving parts, i.e. nothing to go wrong and no water
          > or
          > > electricity consumption :)
          > >
          > > Cheers, Riku
          > >
          > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Lennart Olsson <wineifera@>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Is this more efficient than using a simple convector? I use one
          > (1
          > > m) with fans and its enough to cool at least 1 kW at ~20°C. Then
          > you
          > > wouldn´t need any water at all. But ofcourse Crete is often hotter
          > > than my room temerature.
          > > >
          > > > /Vini

          Cheers,
          Rob.

          The fish are biting.
        • Rasmus
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 1, 2007
            True! I just measure pH on som heads and some tails and the pH is very
            close to 7 on both I understand the general problem and might change
            my convectors in the future to copper tube convectors. They are also
            available on the market.

            Still I must say that convectors are such a simple solution for
            condensing both reflux and procuct so I don't think I'll ever switch
            to watercooling.

            /Vini

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...> wrote:

            > Ah, but it isn't pure alcohol when it hits the condenser:
            > in a pot type, you never get pure alcohol, and in a reflux setup, lots
            > of impurities are returned to the column from the condenser.
            > imo anyway.
            > Rob.
            >
            > --- Rasmus <wineifera@...> wrote:
            >
            > > In all pH environments except neutral, I would not use aluminium. But
            > > pure alcohol has pH 7 and should thus not effect the metal nor should
            > > the aluminum convector effect the alcohol.
            > >
            > > /Vini
            > >

            > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Convectors are quite a good solution, unfortunately distillers
            > > > community has not quite realized it yet. The only issue is that
            > > some
            > > > convectors are made of aluminium which is somewhat debated as still
            > >
            > > > construction material. 2 meters of those convectors with ambient
            > > > cooling is also enough to cool 1kW. IMO that's quite ideal solution
            > >
            > > > since it has no moving parts, i.e. nothing to go wrong and no water
            > > or
            > > > electricity consumption :)
            > > >
            > > > Cheers, Riku
            > > >
            > > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Lennart Olsson <wineifera@>

            > > (1
            > > > m) with fans and its enough to cool at least 1 kW at ~20°C. Then
            > > you
            > > > wouldn´t need any water at all. But ofcourse Crete is often hotter
            > > > than my room temerature.

            > Cheers,
            > Rob.

            > The fish are biting.
            > http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/arp/sponsoredsearch_v2.php

          • Matt
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 1, 2007
              How exactly does convective cooling work?

              > Convectors are quite a good solution, unfortunately distillers
              > community has not quite realized it yet. The only issue is that some
              > convectors are made of aluminium which is somewhat debated as still
              > construction material. 2 meters of those convectors with ambient
              > cooling is also enough to cool 1kW. IMO that's quite ideal solution
              > since it has no moving parts, i.e. nothing to go wrong and no water or
              > electricity consumption :)
              >
              > Cheers, Riku
              >
              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Lennart Olsson <wineifera@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Is this more efficient than using a simple convector? I use one (1
              > m) with fans and its enough to cool at least 1 kW at ~20�C. Then you
              > wouldn�t need any water at all. But ofcourse Crete is often hotter
              > than my room temerature.
              > >
              > > /Vini

            • abbababbaccc
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 1, 2007
                A simple ambient cooled power management head made out of two 1 meter
                convector pipes:

                Full reflux at ~500W and max. power ~1kW. I believe Vini has some
                pictures of fan assisted versions. With fans you can at least triple
                the cooling efficiency.

                Cheers, Riku

                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 1, 2007
                  Convectors are e.g. used in mobile homes for heating purposes. They
                  usally consist of a tube (0.4 m to 1,5 m or so) with attached thin
                  aluminium cooling fins each 5 mm. In horisontal position the ambient
                  cooling capacity is ~0.5 kW/m but with appropriate fans you can boost
                  this 2 to 3 to ? times.

                  In my CM-ARC setup I have a 1 m reflux convector with 11 small
                  "PC-fans" attached and an 0.7 m product condensing convector with a
                  normal household fan. The reflux convector is almost horizontal
                  (50-100 mm "angle") and the other one is vertical. That's the CM-part.
                  To accomplish an ARC I use a thermostat with a 0.1°C accuracy. The
                  sensor is placed 2/3 from the top of the column (1.5 m) and controls 6
                  of the fans, the others work all the time. When temp gets over ~80°C
                  these 6 fans start working and gives full reflux for a while until the
                  temperature gets below the set temperature. Works like a clock and I
                  run my boiler to 100°C without a trace of tails!

                  /Vini