Godfrey's Cordial

    Message 1 of 21 , May 29, 2007
      Msg. 39505 mentioned coca and kola wines sold in pharmacies (drug
      stores, chemists). Here is another ingredient that was also included
      in the British Pharmacopoeia until 1916 - Landanum or Tinctura opii,
      containing 1g of opium!
      Godrey's Cordial is a U.S. variant for children!

      Godrey's Cordial

      1/2 oz. (15g) opium
      1 drachm (4g) oil of sassafras
      2 oz. (60ml) alcohol
      4 lbs (1.8 kg) molasses
      1 gal, (4l) boiling water

      Mix molasses with the boiling water and when cool add the other
      ingredients.
      "It will soothe the pain in children."

      (edited version from "Six Hundred Receipts", John Marquart, 1880)

      wal
      Message 2 of 21 , May 30, 2007
        Should be Laudanum.
        See also -
        http://www.victorianweb.org/science/health/health4.html

        wal

        > Msg. 39505 mentioned coca and kola wines sold in pharmacies (drug
        > stores, chemists). Here is another ingredient that was also included
        > in the British Pharmacopoeia until 1916 - Laudanum or Tinctura opii,
        > containing 1g of opium!
        > Godrey's Cordial is a U.S. variant for children!
        >
        > Godrey's Cordial
        >
        > 1/2 oz. (15g) opium
        > 1 drachm (4g) oil of sassafras
        > 2 oz. (60ml) alcohol
        > 4 lbs (1.8 kg) molasses
        > 1 gal, (4l) boiling water
        >
        > Mix molasses with the boiling water and when cool add the other
        > ingredients.
        > "It will soothe the pain in children."
        >
        > (edited version from "Six Hundred Receipts", John Marquart, 1880)
        >
        > wal

      • Robert Thomas
        Message 3 of 21 , May 31, 2007
          Hi all,
          just back from my place in Crete.
          While there I got to thinking about when I move there. I will seriously
          need a condenser using little or no water.
          So the question: is there a collection of low water designs about?
          What about a stripping run involving sunlight as energy? After all
          crete is full of solar water heaters.
          Any links or ideas?

          Cheers,
          Rob.

        • Robert Hubble
          Message 4 of 21 , May 31, 2007
            Rob,

            How far are you from salt water? You may not want all those lil' ion guys
            shootin' through your fine copper, but how about a heat exchanger? Maybe
            also evaporative cooling?

            Just a thought.

            Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

            >From: Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...>
            >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [Distillers] low water use condenser?
            >Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 09:59:26 -0700 (PDT)
            >
            >Hi all,
            >just back from my place in Crete.
            >While there I got to thinking about when I move there. I will seriously
            >need a condenser using little or no water.
            >So the question: is there a collection of low water designs about?
            >What about a stripping run involving sunlight as energy? After all
            >crete is full of solar water heaters.
            >Any links or ideas?
            >

            >Cheers,
            >Rob.

            >Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives you all
            >the tools to get online.
            >http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting

            Like the way Microsoft Office Outlook works? You�ll love Windows Live
            Hotmail.
            http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_outlook_0507
          • Robert Thomas
            Message 5 of 21 , May 31, 2007
              Nice idea Bob, but that would require an 8km round trip of hose!
              evaporative cooling sounds interesting.
              I guess I really want to continue using my current still (which has a
              nixon-stone head). To use an air cooled condenser, I guess I'd have to
              keep the condenser in the shade, and there must be a minimum temp
              differential between air and good stuff.
              I keep thinking of the coolant water being sprayed into the air after
              the condenser stage. But I think this idea has no logic. In a fridge
              the expansion (which I'm translating as spraying in my half-baked idea)
              is at the point of cooling not after.

              Anyone care to progress my wild idea into a plan?
              I guess I'm thinking of cooling towers, but I don't know anything about
              them!!
              cheers
              Rob.

              --- Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@...> wrote:

              > Rob,
              >
              > How far are you from salt water? You may not want all those lil' ion
              > guys
              > shootin' through your fine copper, but how about a heat exchanger?
              > Maybe
              > also evaporative cooling?
              >
              > Just a thought.
              >
              > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
              >

              > >From: Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...>
              > >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
              > >Subject: [Distillers] low water use condenser?
              > >Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 09:59:26 -0700 (PDT)
              > >
              > >Hi all,
              > >just back from my place in Crete.
              > >While there I got to thinking about when I move there. I will
              > seriously
              > >need a condenser using little or no water.
              > >So the question: is there a collection of low water designs about?
              > >What about a stripping run involving sunlight as energy? After all
              > >crete is full of solar water heaters.
              > >Any links or ideas?
              > >

              > >Cheers,
              > >Rob.

              > >Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives
              > you all
              > >the tools to get online.
              > >http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting

              > Like the way Microsoft Office Outlook works? You’ll love Windows Live
              >
              > Hotmail.

              http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_outlook_0507

              > Distillers list archives :
              > http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/distillers/
              >
              > FAQ, Howto distil etc. :
              > http://homedistiller.org
              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              Cheers,
              Rob.

            • Trid
              Message 6 of 21 , May 31, 2007
                --- Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...> wrote:

                > Anyone care to progress my wild idea into a plan?
                > I guess I'm thinking of cooling towers, but I don't know anything about
                > them!!
                > cheers
                > Rob.

                Here's a quick and dirty on cooling towers. What is happening is that there is
                a fan that blows air past a spray of your cooling water. The air evaporates a
                portion of the water as it sprays and it transfers that energy (heat) to the
                air in the transition from water to vapor...more so than if it were just in
                contact through a heat exchanger (radiator).

                I made a basic diagram...there are other methods, but this one is fairly
                similar and very widely used.

                (you have to be logged into yahoo to see it)

                Hope this helps some as far as getting an idea.
                Trid
              • Jeff
                Message 7 of 21 , May 31, 2007
                  --- Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...> wrote:

                  > Hi all,
                  > just back from my place in Crete.
                  > While there I got to thinking about when I move
                  > there. I will seriously
                  > need a condenser using little or no water.
                  > So the question: is there a collection of low water
                  > designs about?
                  > What about a stripping run involving sunlight as
                  > energy? After all
                  > crete is full of solar water heaters.
                  > Any links or ideas?
                  >

                  > Cheers,
                  > Rob.
                  > Hope this link helps
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooling_tower
                  Cheers Jeff

                  > Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small
                  > Business gives you all the tools to get online.

                  Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.
                • Lennart Olsson
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 31, 2007
                    Is this more efficient than using a simple convector? I use one (1 m) with fans and its enough to cool at least 1 kW at ~20°C. Then you wouldn´t need any water at all. But ofcourse Crete is often hotter than my room temerature.

                    /Vini

                    http://ph.groups. yahoo.com/ group/Distillers /photos/view/ bf98?b=5
                    (you have to be logged into yahoo to see it)

                    Hope this helps some as far as getting an idea.
                    Trid

                    Låt vårkänslorna spira!
                    Hitta din tvillingsjäl på Yahoo! Dejting: http://se.meetic.yahoo.net

                  • stillyaakman
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 31, 2007
                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...> wrote:

                      > Hi all,
                      > just back from my place in Crete...,

                      When I was making hard cider we used refrigerated liquid circulating
                      through cooling columns to maintain temps. in our fermentors.
                      They were very simple. A tank with a coil of copper tube suspended in
                      a propelyne glycol soulition and a thermostaticly controlled pump to
                      move it. It should be quite easy to make a small system like that. Of
                      course the larger the more thermal mass and the better you would be
                      able to maintain temps.
                      Dan

                      Message 10 of 21 , May 31, 2007

                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...> wrote:

                        > Nice idea Bob, but that would require an 8km round trip of hose!
                        > evaporative cooling sounds interesting.
                        > I guess I really want to continue using my current still (which has a
                        > nixon-stone head). To use an air cooled condenser, I guess I'd have to
                        > keep the condenser in the shade, and there must be a minimum temp
                        > differential between air and good stuff.
                        > I keep thinking of the coolant water being sprayed into the air after
                        > the condenser stage. But I think this idea has no logic. In a fridge
                        > the expansion (which I'm translating as spraying in my half-baked idea)
                        > is at the point of cooling not after.
                        >
                        > Anyone care to progress my wild idea into a plan?
                        > I guess I'm thinking of cooling towers, but I don't know anything about
                        > them!!
                        > cheers
                        > Rob.

                        All evaporative ideas (eg cooling towers) by definition consume a fair amount of water.  Its evaporation is inversely proportionate to the amount of heat removed.

                        What's wrong with using the good-ol' sump, pump & fan, aka a recirc system?  It hooks up to any fluid-heat-transfer style condenser, liebigs, N/S, coils, shotguns, crossflows, whatever.

                        I run my still (4 x 20L runs) about once every 2 months on average.  I use a 50L sump, and the only loss is about 3 litres due to ambient evaporation in the 2 month idle period.  I could even eliminate that if I really wanted to, but 3 litres loss for that amount of stillin' and time is negligible.  The extra electricity draw is less than a household light globe.

                        The basic setup is below my sig.

                      • richutchings
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 31, 2007

                          To double the efficiency of the set up below distribute the water exiting the radiator (via a piece of plastic hose with a hole every half inch, tied across the width of the radiator) so it trickles down the out side of the radiator, on the fan side.

                          This will also permit the use of a much smaller radiator and fan.

                          Of course it will mean some water is lost, via evaporation.

                          Regards ric

                            Message 13 of 21 , May 31, 2007
                              Convectors are quite a good solution, unfortunately distillers
                              community has not quite realized it yet. The only issue is that some
                              convectors are made of aluminium which is somewhat debated as still
                              construction material. 2 meters of those convectors with ambient
                              cooling is also enough to cool 1kW. IMO that's quite ideal solution
                              since it has no moving parts, i.e. nothing to go wrong and no water or
                              electricity consumption :)

                              Cheers, Riku

                              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Lennart Olsson <wineifera@...>
                              wrote:

                              > Is this more efficient than using a simple convector? I use one (1
                              m) with fans and its enough to cool at least 1 kW at ~20°C. Then you
                              wouldn´t need any water at all. But ofcourse Crete is often hotter
                              than my room temerature.

                              > /Vini

                            • mavnkaf
                              Message 14 of 21 , May 31, 2007

                                > --- Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > > Anyone care to progress my wild idea into a plan?
                                > > I guess I'm thinking of cooling towers, but I don't know anything
                                about
                                > > them!!
                                > > cheers
                                > > Rob.
                                >
                                > Here's a quick and dirty on cooling towers. What is happening is
                                that there is
                                > a fan that blows air past a spray of your cooling water. The air
                                evaporates a
                                > portion of the water as it sprays and it transfers that energy
                                (heat) to the
                                > air in the transition from water to vapor...more so than if it were
                                just in
                                > contact through a heat exchanger (radiator).
                                >
                                > I made a basic diagram...there are other methods, but this one is
                                fairly
                                > similar and very widely used.

                                > (you have to be logged into yahoo to see it)
                                >
                                > Hope this helps some as far as getting an idea.
                                > Trid

                                I have been using my home made cooling tower for the last four months
                                and it is the best cooling solution for me in the climate I live. It
                                is much better than my old V8 car radiator + fan setup. My system is
                                similar to the picture that Trid supplied but I draw the air from the
                                vents at the bottom of the tower, so I have small water drops falling
                                through a quickly rising air mass. I also have splash plates/objects
                                inside the tower as well.

                                There is some water evaporation, may be half a bucket/four liters.
                                After running a pot still in stripping mode for six hours, thats two
                                stripping runs back to back with no real temperature increase, so I
                                pretty happy with that. The water stays fairly clean, the only thing
                                I use that might do some filtering is a lint catcher out of a washing
                                machine which gets cleaned every so often. So I think the concept is
                                sound at this scale.

                                Try the link below,if it works, or see the pictures in my folder
                                under marc.

                                Cheers
                                Marc

                                b=3&m=f&o=0>
                              • Robert Thomas
                                Message 15 of 21 , May 31, 2007
                                  thanks for all the info, everyone! I think I'll work with harry's
                                  (easy) suggestion first. But since I'm not moving any time soon, i have
                                  time to play with a few designs.
                                  Cheers
                                  rob.

                                  Cheers,
                                  Rob.

                                • Rasmus
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jun 1, 2007
                                    In all pH environments except neutral, I would not use aluminium. But
                                    pure alcohol has pH 7 and should thus not effect the metal nor should
                                    the aluminum convector effect the alcohol.

                                    /Vini

                                    > Convectors are quite a good solution, unfortunately distillers
                                    > community has not quite realized it yet. The only issue is that some
                                    > convectors are made of aluminium which is somewhat debated as still
                                    > construction material. 2 meters of those convectors with ambient
                                    > cooling is also enough to cool 1kW. IMO that's quite ideal solution
                                    > since it has no moving parts, i.e. nothing to go wrong and no water or
                                    > electricity consumption :)
                                    >
                                    > Cheers, Riku
                                    >
                                    > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Lennart Olsson <wineifera@>
                                    > wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Is this more efficient than using a simple convector? I use one (1
                                    > m) with fans and its enough to cool at least 1 kW at ~20°C. Then you
                                    > wouldn´t need any water at all. But ofcourse Crete is often hotter
                                    > than my room temerature.
                                    > >
                                    > > /Vini

                                  • Robert Thomas
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jun 1, 2007
                                      Ah, but it isn't pure alcohol when it hits the condenser:
                                      in a pot type, you never get pure alcohol, and in a reflux setup, lots
                                      of impurities are returned to the column from the condenser.
                                      imo anyway.
                                      Rob.

                                      --- Rasmus <wineifera@...> wrote:

                                      > In all pH environments except neutral, I would not use aluminium. But
                                      > pure alcohol has pH 7 and should thus not effect the metal nor should
                                      > the aluminum convector effect the alcohol.
                                      >
                                      > /Vini
                                      >

                                      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@...>
                                      > wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Convectors are quite a good solution, unfortunately distillers
                                      > > community has not quite realized it yet. The only issue is that
                                      > some
                                      > > convectors are made of aluminium which is somewhat debated as still
                                      >
                                      > > construction material. 2 meters of those convectors with ambient
                                      > > cooling is also enough to cool 1kW. IMO that's quite ideal solution
                                      >
                                      > > since it has no moving parts, i.e. nothing to go wrong and no water
                                      > or
                                      > > electricity consumption :)
                                      > >
                                      > > Cheers, Riku
                                      > >
                                      > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Lennart Olsson <wineifera@>
                                      > > wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Is this more efficient than using a simple convector? I use one
                                      > (1
                                      > > m) with fans and its enough to cool at least 1 kW at ~20°C. Then
                                      > you
                                      > > wouldn´t need any water at all. But ofcourse Crete is often hotter
                                      > > than my room temerature.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > /Vini

                                      Cheers,
                                      Rob.

                                      The fish are biting.
                                    • Rasmus
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jun 1, 2007
                                        True! I just measure pH on som heads and some tails and the pH is very
                                        close to 7 on both I understand the general problem and might change
                                        my convectors in the future to copper tube convectors. They are also
                                        available on the market.

                                        Still I must say that convectors are such a simple solution for
                                        condensing both reflux and procuct so I don't think I'll ever switch
                                        to watercooling.

                                        /Vini

                                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...> wrote:

                                        > Ah, but it isn't pure alcohol when it hits the condenser:
                                        > in a pot type, you never get pure alcohol, and in a reflux setup, lots
                                        > of impurities are returned to the column from the condenser.
                                        > imo anyway.
                                        > Rob.
                                        >
                                        > --- Rasmus <wineifera@...> wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > In all pH environments except neutral, I would not use aluminium. But
                                        > > pure alcohol has pH 7 and should thus not effect the metal nor should
                                        > > the aluminum convector effect the alcohol.
                                        > >
                                        > > /Vini
                                        > >

                                        > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@>
                                        > > wrote:
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Convectors are quite a good solution, unfortunately distillers
                                        > > > community has not quite realized it yet. The only issue is that
                                        > > some
                                        > > > convectors are made of aluminium which is somewhat debated as still
                                        > >
                                        > > > construction material. 2 meters of those convectors with ambient
                                        > > > cooling is also enough to cool 1kW. IMO that's quite ideal solution
                                        > >
                                        > > > since it has no moving parts, i.e. nothing to go wrong and no water
                                        > > or
                                        > > > electricity consumption :)
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Cheers, Riku
                                        > > >
                                        > > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Lennart Olsson <wineifera@>

                                        > > (1
                                        > > > m) with fans and its enough to cool at least 1 kW at ~20°C. Then
                                        > > you
                                        > > > wouldn´t need any water at all. But ofcourse Crete is often hotter
                                        > > > than my room temerature.

                                        > Cheers,
                                        > Rob.

                                        > The fish are biting.
                                        > http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/arp/sponsoredsearch_v2.php

                                      • Matt
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jun 1, 2007
                                          How exactly does convective cooling work?

                                          > Convectors are quite a good solution, unfortunately distillers
                                          > community has not quite realized it yet. The only issue is that some
                                          > convectors are made of aluminium which is somewhat debated as still
                                          > construction material. 2 meters of those convectors with ambient
                                          > cooling is also enough to cool 1kW. IMO that's quite ideal solution
                                          > since it has no moving parts, i.e. nothing to go wrong and no water or
                                          > electricity consumption :)
                                          >
                                          > Cheers, Riku
                                          >
                                          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Lennart Olsson <wineifera@>
                                          > wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > Is this more efficient than using a simple convector? I use one (1
                                          > m) with fans and its enough to cool at least 1 kW at ~20�C. Then you
                                          > wouldn�t need any water at all. But ofcourse Crete is often hotter
                                          > than my room temerature.
                                          > >
                                          > > /Vini

                                        • abbababbaccc
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jun 1, 2007
                                            A simple ambient cooled power management head made out of two 1 meter
                                            convector pipes:

                                            Full reflux at ~500W and max. power ~1kW. I believe Vini has some
                                            pictures of fan assisted versions. With fans you can at least triple
                                            the cooling efficiency.

                                            Cheers, Riku

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jun 1, 2007
                                              Convectors are e.g. used in mobile homes for heating purposes. They
                                              usally consist of a tube (0.4 m to 1,5 m or so) with attached thin
                                              aluminium cooling fins each 5 mm. In horisontal position the ambient
                                              cooling capacity is ~0.5 kW/m but with appropriate fans you can boost
                                              this 2 to 3 to ? times.

                                              In my CM-ARC setup I have a 1 m reflux convector with 11 small
                                              "PC-fans" attached and an 0.7 m product condensing convector with a
                                              normal household fan. The reflux convector is almost horizontal
                                              (50-100 mm "angle") and the other one is vertical. That's the CM-part.
                                              To accomplish an ARC I use a thermostat with a 0.1°C accuracy. The
                                              sensor is placed 2/3 from the top of the column (1.5 m) and controls 6
                                              of the fans, the others work all the time. When temp gets over ~80°C
                                              these 6 fans start working and gives full reflux for a while until the
                                              temperature gets below the set temperature. Works like a clock and I
                                              run my boiler to 100°C without a trace of tails!

                                              /Vini