Re: [Distillers] Re: Throw away your alcometer!

  • Andrew Bugal
    Message 1 of 4 , May 28, 2007
      Sounds like Dr. Frankenstein's distant cousin.

      Regards,
      Bwyze

      emailbenja <emailbenja@...> wrote:
      Pint
      Hey its not for me, like i said its for those too stupid or cheap to
      own one. I have 2- long (12") and short(8"), plus a hygrometer, and i
      recently purchased an ATC refractometer (oh its a nice piece of kit-
      and far more durable than fragile glass tubes too!! $60AUS including
      postage from ebay. Highly recommended. I also have a 500ml graduated
      glass cylinder too, as well as various smaller beakers and the like.
      Cant have too much measuring equipment i say. Dont get me started on
      temperature gear!!!
      Cheers
      Benja

      --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "pint_o_shine" <pintoshine@ ...> wrote:

      > Your chart is very nice, but I have to say, alcohol has an extremely
      > high coefficient of expansion. The temperature you measure at is
      > extremely important. The chart will get you in the ball park but is
      as> inaccurate as the cheap little hydrometers because of measurement
      > error and temperature correction.
      > One thing that will help is get a very large graduated cylinder
      about> 1 Liter. This helps reduce the measurement error. Unfortunately
      it can> take a long time to collect a liter. A small pot still will
      vary a> considerable amount over the period of a liter. A 10 ml
      graduated> cylinder will introduce 100 times more error.
      > I only use a chart similar to yours if I am doing a really large
      > batch(400L) or verifying the end results.
      > Please keep your hydrometer handy for spot checking your output.
      >
      > --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "emailbenja" <emailbenja@ > wrote:
      > >
      > > Finally we can point those too stupid (or cheap) to buy an
      alcometer> in the right direction. Check in my files for a document
      named Density vs.doc, for a simple weight chart to give alcohol
      percentages.
      > > Havent tried it out yet, but it looks about right. Hope your
      scales are accurate!
      > > Cheers
      > > Benja

      How would you spend $50,000 to create a more sustainable environment in Australia? Go to Yahoo!7 Answers and share your idea.