RE: [Distillers] Re:dandelion "grappa"?

  • Robert Hubble
    Message 1 of 3 , May 23, 2007
      Other Bob,

      >From: "Firefox" <foxyfoxy50@...>
      >To: <Distillers@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: [Distillers] Re:dandelion "grappa"?
      >Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 16:23:35 +0100
      >
      >Hey! Been there done that LOL, had great fun but ended up with a load of
      >foul tasting spirit. You may be luckier than me.
      >
      >I had good results with tea wine that was not up to par so I distilled it.
      >was amazed at the result, after a single distillation at over 80% it tasted
      >like Bacardi. This was just pure luck. I was not aiming at anything, just
      >alcohol recovery.
      >

      >I never waste anything, all my wine lees goes into a barrel until I have
      >enough to distil. The end result is not good even at 96% purity, unless
      >double distilled or charcoal filtered twice, or both.

      That's what I do, too, and since I learned about bicarbonate in spirit
      washes, I get crap in and pretty good stuff out. Of course, I make a
      cut, even running junk EtOH.

      Do you use bicarbonate?

      >The old saying goes crap in crap out.
      >

      >I usually use a straight sugar wash and turbo yeast. Distil and filter
      >twice
      >with charcoal.
      >

      >Of course if you want a particular flavour to come through then pot stil I
      >suppose but Dandelion? Not quite sure what flavour that would be in spirit
      >or what to age in? Very interesting though and would like to hear from the
      >outcome. Best of luck (or skill).
      >
      >Bob.

      >Checked by AVG.
      >14:01

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

      More photos, more messages, more storage�get 2GB with Windows Live Hotmail.