Re: [Distillers] "Moonshne", the book

  • Robert Hubble
    Message 1 of 8 , May 6 9:48 AM
      Hi Jan,

      I got mine from amazon.com. I had to wait a few days for them to get it in
      stock, so I'm guessing I have one of the early copies (from Amazon, anyway).
      I'd be really surprised if Amazon doesn't deliver internationally.

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

      >From: "Jan Ooms" <jkooms@...>
      >To: <Distillers@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: Re: [Distillers] "Moonshne", the book
      >Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 19:34:00 +1000
      >
      >Hi,
      > Where do we get this
      >book?
      >Regards,
      >Jan.

      ----snip----

    • moonshinebook
      Message 2 of 8 , May 6 10:02 AM
        Bob ~

        Thank you for the message. The traditional press has been giving the
        book good reviews and, of course, that's been a relief. The food and
        cocktail crowd has been picking it up with a great deal of interest
        that has led to a lot of interviews, but I am particularly happy that
        you found it worth the time to read. And I'm humbled by the kind
        words. The book is, as much as anything, for the distillers here.

        It certainly isn't the last word in home distilling - no doubt there
        may be techniques and even ingredients that won't always jive with
        those that work quite well for some distillers - but one of my
        audiences is the curious first-timer, who knows that distilling is
        possible, but doesn't know where to turn for information. It's a
        balancing act of being broad (and engaging) enough for casual readers
        and detailed enough for those who actually want to dig deeper - links
        to this group, for instance.

        It's availability is a little sketchy for the next few weeks - It
        wasn't supposed to be out until the end of this month, but Amazon does
        have it as does, in the US, Barnes & Noble (Borders has it listed
        under an older working title the publisher wanted called "The Joy of
        Moonshine" but are still working off the end-of-the-month schedule, so
        they don't have it quite yet - just keep on 'em if they tell you they
        don't have it yet).

        ~ Matt (on the road this week)

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Hubble" <zymurgybob@...> wrote:

        > Last night I stayed up late and finished reading "Moonshine", by
        Matthew
        > Rowley, who, Harry tells
        > us, is a member of this list. If you are still reading the list,
        Matthew,
        > thanks for a VERY
        > enjoyable read. I loved your mix of history, lore, language, recipes,
        > technology, craft, and
        > humor, and I'd hazard a guess that you fall right in the middle of the
        > spectrum for members of
        > this list (whether you like it or not!). I thought you treated our
        art/craft
        > with the respect due
        > it, and recognized the quality our hobby is capable of.
        >
        > In spite of all that, it was just a book, albeit an entertaining and
        > informative one, until you
        > got to the part describing the distiller's relationship with his
        homebrew
        > supplier, and at that
        > point I KNEW that YOU knew exactly what I was doing, and how I was
        doing it.
        > From that point on, the book became very personal to me, and I became
        > personally involved in what you wrote from that point on.
        >
        > I was fascinated by the part where you showed in great detail the
        building
        > of a smallish
        > sheet-copper potstill, in what I associate with the classic Appalachian
        > design. I've seen a
        > thousand pictures of these stills, but I never knew how they were
        built,
        > until now. I'm torn
        > between owning a still that positively radiates its still-ness in
        glowing
        > copper, and my current
        > working tool that most would not recognize as a still, or even as
        copper,
        > probably. Mostly, I
        > figure if no-one can tell it's a still, I'm safe for a little while
        longer,
        > but someday I'd love
        > to build your still.
        >
        > Unlike so much of what is written about our craft, your book was shot
        > through with bits of
        > insight that non-stillers probably overlook, but that told me that
        either
        > your research was
        > incredible, or that you had personally boiled and condensed a bit of
        EtOH in
        > your time. For
        > instance, I was quite surprised to learn that the classic moonshiner,
        > running the classic still
        > you describe in construction, heated, observed, and probably stirred
        the
        > contents of the cooker until the boil began to "smile", and then the
        cap was
        > installed and sealed with flour paste.
        >
        > I've never even considered applying heat until the still was all
        closed up
        > and ready to go.
        >
        > Anyway, thanks for the book, and for the respect shown us, and for the
        > recipes, and the humor, and insight that comes from depth of
        knowledge. And
        > thanks for the craft of the writing itself; I've ground out a few
        cords of
        > text in my lifetime, and I hope I recognize the difference between
        "just
        > words" and a very nicely turned phrase. Thanks for the prose.
        >
        > Just for the record, guys, no money has changed hands, and I have never
        > spoken with Matthew Rowley, but I surely do recommend reading his book.
        >

        > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

        > Get a FREE Web site, company branded e-mail and more from Microsoft
        Office
        > Live! http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/mcrssaub0050001411mrt/direct/01/

      • Brian B.
        Message 3 of 8 , May 6 10:18 AM
          Hi Matt,

           I bought the book from Amazon UK and I've had it for about 3 weeks now. I
          must have been one of the first to get it.
           A very enjoyable book and just yesterday I started a batch of Beginners' Corn Whiskey
           and it's happily bubbling away in the outhouse.

          Over and Out,
            Brian.

[...]

        • Peggy
          Message 4 of 8 , May 6 11:08 AM

            In moonshine country they call such structures out buildings or sheds, and reserve ‘outhouse’ for more private use.

            Peggy

            Message 5 of 8 , May 6 12:09 PM
              Ah yes, also known as Grannies' Greenhouse or TheThunderbox !. My outhouse was originally used to store coal.

              Brian B.