Reflux still copper tubing

  • bdgleason10
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2007
      I'm looking to build a reflux still but am having trouble finding some
      of the supplies. Where can I find copper tubing with inner diameters
      greater than 2in that I don't have to buy in bulk? I've been to
      numerous hardware stores and nobody has copper tubing that thick.
      Message 2 of 3 , May 4, 2007
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bdgleason10" <bdgleason10@...>
        wrote:

        > I'm looking to build a reflux still but am having trouble finding
        some
        > of the supplies. Where can I find copper tubing with inner
        diameters
        > greater than 2in that I don't have to buy in bulk? I've been to
        > numerous hardware stores and nobody has copper tubing that thick.

        Anything bigger than 2" is not your usual plumbing supply. It can
        be found at scrap-metal recyclers up to 10",but rarely. You'd need
        to get friendly with the scrap merchant & get him to keep an eye out
        for you.

        Other than that, you can get it new from the tubemakers, but as you
        said, it will be bulk orders only.

        Depending on just how big you want to go, it may be better to make
        your own out of rolled sheet, if you're anyways handy working
        metal. I've got an old book on copperwork that shows how to make
        pipe, but it's a big upload. One day I'll do something about
        putting it in the Library for everyone.

      • ian andersen
        Message 3 of 3 , May 5, 2007
          There are some old books free to download on the net,This one
          Art Of Copper Smithing (1911)
          A Practical Treatise on working sheet copper into all forms.
          Author: John Fuller
          can be downloaded here
          http://www.archive.org/details/ArtOfCopperSmithing
          just click (27 MB)DjVu top left hand of page

          Ian