Re: Angels share?

    Message 1 of 62 , May 3 10:28 PM
      Hi Riku,

      Comments inline...

      > Than you Harry, extremely usefull info and actually quite amazing.
      It
      > seems to indicate that over 12 years of storage one would loose
      24%
      > of the original amount!!!

      ........That's about right. Hence the high costs of long-aged
      spirits. The losses AND the storage costs have to be recovered at
      final sale. User pays, as always.

      > Now let me explain my plans so you may comment. I have a high
      > capacity aquarium airpump (250 l/h) that has connection for air in
      > and air out. My plan is to use this to aerate the whiskey with oak
      > shavings, it gives a nice almost boiling like action to a gallon
      jar.

      ........What type of pump action is it? Piston, diaphram, or
      peristaltic? There are issues with each type re unwanted smells
      getting into the product. Let me know the type.

      > The catch here is that while i push air to jar I also evacuate it
      at
      > the same time using the other connection - i.e. air is circulated.
      > The other new thing is that I plan to use another gallon (or
      bigger)
      > jar as a ctach can. That means I will connect it to the return
      line
      > of the air pump. In practise some alcohol gets carried away by the
      > air stream (angels share) and it will end up in the catch can. The
      > catch can will also provide extra oxygen to the system
      >
      > The plan is to run this system to oxygenate the whiskey untill
      > enough "angels share" has been collected to the catch can to
      present
      > certain number of years of maturation.
      >
      > So, any thoughts of whether this will work or not?

      ........ Sounds like an interesting experiment! I don't see why it
      wouldn't work, although I'd put some sort of one-way vent into the
      closed system, to draw more air when necessary. The air dissolving
      in the product (it will) and varying atmospheric pressure can create
      a vacuum in the closed system, so more air may be needed or the
      tubing will collapse, shutting down the recirculation & possibly
      burning out your pump. Electricals shorting out around ethanol
      fumes ain't a fun idea.

      > Cheers, Riku

    • tyler_97355
      Message 62 of 62 , May 27 1:44 AM
        I understand why you are using HDPE. I was going more for the
        "plastics safety" and "flavor leeching" part of the conversation.
        However, you did answer my question as to why the beverage industry
        uses PETE instead of HDPE. So uh, should I say sorry or thank you?

        -Tyler
        Well, I'm not going to lie. I love Jesus.. but I drink a little..