Re: Angels share?

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 62 , May 3, 2007
      Rob, I just glanced through T.P.Lyons's text about whiskey while
      searching for the answer and he stated just the opposite. That is at
      humid climate (as in Scotland) more alcohol evaporates and ABV
      decreases. In dry climates the opposite happens.

      What I'd like to know is how much water + alcohol evaporates for
      three years (or any time frame) of storage? I'm just finishing some
      low wines and I need to know this for my accelarated oxygenation
      plans :)

      Cheers, Riku

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...>
      wrote:

      > I can't remember the values, so no help there riku, but what has
      stuck
      > in my mind is the effect of atmospheric humidity on the relative
      > evaporation rate of water vs. alcohol. Under humid conditions more
      > water is evaporated, ie strength increases: I remembered this
      > paradoxical result by thinking "like attracts like".
      >
      > But having just written this down, I am doubting it (again). it just
      > seems so wrong. But then i thought that when i first read it, so it
      > must be right, if you follow me.
      >
      > Has anyone else read this, and can thus calm my worried mind?
      >
      > what a confused/confusing post!
      > cheers
      > Rob.
      > p.s. haven't even touched the booze!!
      >
      > --- abbababbaccc <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:
      >
      > > I couldn't find the answer in my notes so I thought it easiest to
      ask

      > > in here: How much is the angels share as percentage of whiskey
      > > storaged
      > > in barrels? Any difference from Scotland to Ireland to USA?
      > >
      > > Cheers, Riku
      > >

      > Cheers,
      > Rob.

      > http://mail.yahoo.com

    • tyler_97355
      Message 62 of 62 , May 27, 2007
        I understand why you are using HDPE. I was going more for the
        "plastics safety" and "flavor leeching" part of the conversation.
        However, you did answer my question as to why the beverage industry
        uses PETE instead of HDPE. So uh, should I say sorry or thank you?

        -Tyler
        Well, I'm not going to lie. I love Jesus.. but I drink a little..