RE: [Distillers] Re: Filtering to remove the yeast

  • KM Services
    Message 1 of 10 , May 2 4:47 PM

      Maybe I am jumping into the tread a little late in the piece, but why filter? If you have the patience and let your wash settle ( even use a turbo clearing agent) then use a stripping run then slowly distil you will not get off tastes in my experience.

      My pennies worth

      Cheers Ken Mc

      --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "jrwme" <jrwme@...> wrote:

      > I want to filter my wash before sending it to the still to remove the
      > yeast. I have constructed a buchner filter and vacume pump and I want
      > some advice on the correct filter medium / paper or other to use
      (120mm
      > diameter). I have tried coffee filters but the yeast goes straight
      > through :(
      >
      > I'm in Oz so please keep that in mind with respect to posible sources
      > of supply
      >
      > TIA

      I brought a filter from a crowd called Clarence Water Filters - they
      are in Yamba NSW. It filters down to 1 micron and leaves no yeast its
      cravity feed and easy to use. I found them on Ebay

      John

    • jrwme
      Message 2 of 10 , May 2 4:50 PM
        > I brought a filter from a crowd called Clarence Water Filters - they
        > are in Yamba NSW. It filters down to 1 micron and leaves no yeast its
        > cravity feed and easy to use. I found them on Ebay
        >
        > John

        Yes I know of these people but I could not find a gravity feed 1 micron
        system. Any details regards name/model no etc?

      • johnmuzza
        Message 3 of 10 , May 2 5:14 PM
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jrwme" <jrwme@...> wrote:

          > > I brought a filter from a crowd called Clarence Water Filters -
          they
          > > are in Yamba NSW. It filters down to 1 micron and leaves no yeast
          its
          > > cravity feed and easy to use. I found them on Ebay
          > >
          > > John
          > >

          > Yes I know of these people but I could not find a gravity feed 1
          micron
          > system. Any details regards name/model no etc?

          The Ebay item number is 170108191837
          Described as Home Brew Beer Filter and Washable Cartridge. Gravity or
          low pressure filter with 1 micron pleaterd washable filter. See thru
          housing with 3/4" BSP ports. Good luck

          John