Re: Filtering to remove the yeast

  • bbornais
    Message 1 of 10 , May 2, 2007
      If you have access to Buchner filtration, then I assume you can secure
      some diatomaceous earth (commonly bought as the name brand Celite).

      It is commonly used to increase the filtration capacity of buchner
      funnel paper filtration, while at the same time, it avoids the problem
      of clogging the small pores of the funnel, thereby speeding filtration.

      I usually make about a 1/4in bed above the filter paper. Make a slurry
      then pour in with vacuum on.

      Works great,

      Bryan.
    • johnmuzza
      Message 2 of 10 , May 2, 2007
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jrwme" <jrwme@...> wrote:

        > I want to filter my wash before sending it to the still to remove the
        > yeast. I have constructed a buchner filter and vacume pump and I want
        > some advice on the correct filter medium / paper or other to use
        (120mm
        > diameter). I have tried coffee filters but the yeast goes straight
        > through :(
        >
        > I'm in Oz so please keep that in mind with respect to posible sources
        > of supply
        >
        > TIA

        I brought a filter from a crowd called Clarence Water Filters - they
        are in Yamba NSW. It filters down to 1 micron and leaves no yeast its
        cravity feed and easy to use. I found them on Ebay

        John
      • KM Services
        Message 3 of 10 , May 2, 2007

          Maybe I am jumping into the tread a little late in the piece, but why filter? If you have the patience and let your wash settle ( even use a turbo clearing agent) then use a stripping run then slowly distil you will not get off tastes in my experience.

          My pennies worth

          Cheers Ken Mc

          --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "jrwme" <jrwme@...> wrote:

          > I want to filter my wash before sending it to the still to remove the
          > yeast. I have constructed a buchner filter and vacume pump and I want
          > some advice on the correct filter medium / paper or other to use
          (120mm
          > diameter). I have tried coffee filters but the yeast goes straight
          > through :(
          >
          > I'm in Oz so please keep that in mind with respect to posible sources
          > of supply
          >
          > TIA

          I brought a filter from a crowd called Clarence Water Filters - they
          are in Yamba NSW. It filters down to 1 micron and leaves no yeast its
          cravity feed and easy to use. I found them on Ebay

          John

        • jrwme
          Message 4 of 10 , May 2, 2007
            > I brought a filter from a crowd called Clarence Water Filters - they
            > are in Yamba NSW. It filters down to 1 micron and leaves no yeast its
            > cravity feed and easy to use. I found them on Ebay
            >
            > John

            Yes I know of these people but I could not find a gravity feed 1 micron
            system. Any details regards name/model no etc?

          • johnmuzza
            Message 5 of 10 , May 2, 2007
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jrwme" <jrwme@...> wrote:

              > > I brought a filter from a crowd called Clarence Water Filters -
              they
              > > are in Yamba NSW. It filters down to 1 micron and leaves no yeast
              its
              > > cravity feed and easy to use. I found them on Ebay
              > >
              > > John
              > >

              > Yes I know of these people but I could not find a gravity feed 1
              micron
              > system. Any details regards name/model no etc?

              The Ebay item number is 170108191837
              Described as Home Brew Beer Filter and Washable Cartridge. Gravity or
              low pressure filter with 1 micron pleaterd washable filter. See thru
              housing with 3/4" BSP ports. Good luck

              John