Re: Filtering to remove the yeast

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 10 , May 2 12:05 PM
      If you use a reflux still with uncleared mash some "burnt" or "sweet"
      flavor will most of the time carry over towards the end of the run. The
      recommended solution is to do a quick stripping run to get rid of any
      solids in the mash. Much easier than proper filtering.

      Cheers, Riku

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sylvania65" <sylvan@...> wrote:

      > I get the impression that most just leave the yeast in the wash in the
      > still. I've heard a number of folks swear that it makes no difference
      > in the distillate, and a few who think it does. The yeast I use isn't
      > much for settling out, that's why I leave it in. I can't detect any
      > flavor from it in my product, so I don't worry about it. Filtration is
      > a lot of trouble for questionable, maybe no, gain.

    • bbornais
      Message 2 of 10 , May 2 1:12 PM
        If you have access to Buchner filtration, then I assume you can secure
        some diatomaceous earth (commonly bought as the name brand Celite).

        It is commonly used to increase the filtration capacity of buchner
        funnel paper filtration, while at the same time, it avoids the problem
        of clogging the small pores of the funnel, thereby speeding filtration.

        I usually make about a 1/4in bed above the filter paper. Make a slurry
        then pour in with vacuum on.

        Works great,

        Bryan.
      • johnmuzza
        Message 3 of 10 , May 2 3:59 PM
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jrwme" <jrwme@...> wrote:

          > I want to filter my wash before sending it to the still to remove the
          > yeast. I have constructed a buchner filter and vacume pump and I want
          > some advice on the correct filter medium / paper or other to use
          (120mm
          > diameter). I have tried coffee filters but the yeast goes straight
          > through :(
          >
          > I'm in Oz so please keep that in mind with respect to posible sources
          > of supply
          >
          > TIA

          I brought a filter from a crowd called Clarence Water Filters - they
          are in Yamba NSW. It filters down to 1 micron and leaves no yeast its
          cravity feed and easy to use. I found them on Ebay

          John
        • KM Services
          Message 4 of 10 , May 2 4:47 PM

            Maybe I am jumping into the tread a little late in the piece, but why filter? If you have the patience and let your wash settle ( even use a turbo clearing agent) then use a stripping run then slowly distil you will not get off tastes in my experience.

            My pennies worth

            Cheers Ken Mc

            --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "jrwme" <jrwme@...> wrote:

            > I want to filter my wash before sending it to the still to remove the
            > yeast. I have constructed a buchner filter and vacume pump and I want
            > some advice on the correct filter medium / paper or other to use
            (120mm
            > diameter). I have tried coffee filters but the yeast goes straight
            > through :(
            >
            > I'm in Oz so please keep that in mind with respect to posible sources
            > of supply
            >
            > TIA

            I brought a filter from a crowd called Clarence Water Filters - they
            are in Yamba NSW. It filters down to 1 micron and leaves no yeast its
            cravity feed and easy to use. I found them on Ebay

            John

          • jrwme
            Message 5 of 10 , May 2 4:50 PM
              > I brought a filter from a crowd called Clarence Water Filters - they
              > are in Yamba NSW. It filters down to 1 micron and leaves no yeast its
              > cravity feed and easy to use. I found them on Ebay
              >
              > John

              Yes I know of these people but I could not find a gravity feed 1 micron
              system. Any details regards name/model no etc?

            • johnmuzza
              Message 6 of 10 , May 2 5:14 PM
                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jrwme" <jrwme@...> wrote:

                > > I brought a filter from a crowd called Clarence Water Filters -
                they
                > > are in Yamba NSW. It filters down to 1 micron and leaves no yeast
                its
                > > cravity feed and easy to use. I found them on Ebay
                > >
                > > John
                > >

                > Yes I know of these people but I could not find a gravity feed 1
                micron
                > system. Any details regards name/model no etc?

                The Ebay item number is 170108191837
                Described as Home Brew Beer Filter and Washable Cartridge. Gravity or
                low pressure filter with 1 micron pleaterd washable filter. See thru
                housing with 3/4" BSP ports. Good luck

                John