Re: Filtering to remove the yeast

    Message 1 of 10 , May 2, 2007
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sylvania65" <sylvan@...> wrote:

      > I get the impression that most just leave the yeast in the wash in
      the
      > still. I've heard a number of folks swear that it makes no difference
      > in the distillate, and a few who think it does. The yeast I use isn't
      > much for settling out, that's why I leave it in. I can't detect any
      > flavor from it in my product, so I don't worry about it. Filtration
      is
      > a lot of trouble for questionable, maybe no, gain.

      Yup. That about sums it up for the average hobbyist. However it
      really depends on what you're trying to achieve product-wise. For
      instance, in Scotch type whiskies some of the flavours & character are
      a result of the first stripping of the wash, with yeast, grains and
      all, as soon as it finishes fermentation. Obviously certain yeast
      strains lend themselves better than others to this cooking. Some
      yeasts taste downright nasty when they burst, others are delicious.

      Conversely, if you're looking for a flavourless neutral spirit, then
      commercially the yeast is often (not always) centrifuged out before
      the wash goes to the still. This to avoid any possibility of burst
      yeast cells stinking up the product. Hobbyists can achieve similar
      yeast separation cheaply by refrigerating their wash for a day or so
      prior to distilling. The yeast will drop out into a bottom layer,
      then the cleared wash can be carefully siphoned off, just like racking
      a wine.

    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 10 , May 2, 2007
        If you use a reflux still with uncleared mash some "burnt" or "sweet"
        flavor will most of the time carry over towards the end of the run. The
        recommended solution is to do a quick stripping run to get rid of any
        solids in the mash. Much easier than proper filtering.

        Cheers, Riku

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sylvania65" <sylvan@...> wrote:

        > I get the impression that most just leave the yeast in the wash in the
        > still. I've heard a number of folks swear that it makes no difference
        > in the distillate, and a few who think it does. The yeast I use isn't
        > much for settling out, that's why I leave it in. I can't detect any
        > flavor from it in my product, so I don't worry about it. Filtration is
        > a lot of trouble for questionable, maybe no, gain.

      • bbornais
        Message 3 of 10 , May 2, 2007
          If you have access to Buchner filtration, then I assume you can secure
          some diatomaceous earth (commonly bought as the name brand Celite).

          It is commonly used to increase the filtration capacity of buchner
          funnel paper filtration, while at the same time, it avoids the problem
          of clogging the small pores of the funnel, thereby speeding filtration.

          I usually make about a 1/4in bed above the filter paper. Make a slurry
          then pour in with vacuum on.

          Works great,

          Bryan.
        • johnmuzza
          Message 4 of 10 , May 2, 2007
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jrwme" <jrwme@...> wrote:

            > I want to filter my wash before sending it to the still to remove the
            > yeast. I have constructed a buchner filter and vacume pump and I want
            > some advice on the correct filter medium / paper or other to use
            (120mm
            > diameter). I have tried coffee filters but the yeast goes straight
            > through :(
            >
            > I'm in Oz so please keep that in mind with respect to posible sources
            > of supply
            >
            > TIA

            I brought a filter from a crowd called Clarence Water Filters - they
            are in Yamba NSW. It filters down to 1 micron and leaves no yeast its
            cravity feed and easy to use. I found them on Ebay

            John
          • KM Services
            Message 5 of 10 , May 2, 2007

              Maybe I am jumping into the tread a little late in the piece, but why filter? If you have the patience and let your wash settle ( even use a turbo clearing agent) then use a stripping run then slowly distil you will not get off tastes in my experience.

              My pennies worth

              Cheers Ken Mc

              --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "jrwme" <jrwme@...> wrote:

              > I want to filter my wash before sending it to the still to remove the
              > yeast. I have constructed a buchner filter and vacume pump and I want
              > some advice on the correct filter medium / paper or other to use
              (120mm
              > diameter). I have tried coffee filters but the yeast goes straight
              > through :(
              >
              > I'm in Oz so please keep that in mind with respect to posible sources
              > of supply
              >
              > TIA

              I brought a filter from a crowd called Clarence Water Filters - they
              are in Yamba NSW. It filters down to 1 micron and leaves no yeast its
              cravity feed and easy to use. I found them on Ebay

              John

            • jrwme
              Message 6 of 10 , May 2, 2007
                > I brought a filter from a crowd called Clarence Water Filters - they
                > are in Yamba NSW. It filters down to 1 micron and leaves no yeast its
                > cravity feed and easy to use. I found them on Ebay
                >
                > John

                Yes I know of these people but I could not find a gravity feed 1 micron
                system. Any details regards name/model no etc?

              • johnmuzza
                Message 7 of 10 , May 2, 2007
                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jrwme" <jrwme@...> wrote:

                  > > I brought a filter from a crowd called Clarence Water Filters -
                  they
                  > > are in Yamba NSW. It filters down to 1 micron and leaves no yeast
                  its
                  > > cravity feed and easy to use. I found them on Ebay
                  > >
                  > > John
                  > >

                  > Yes I know of these people but I could not find a gravity feed 1
                  micron
                  > system. Any details regards name/model no etc?

                  The Ebay item number is 170108191837
                  Described as Home Brew Beer Filter and Washable Cartridge. Gravity or
                  low pressure filter with 1 micron pleaterd washable filter. See thru
                  housing with 3/4" BSP ports. Good luck

                  John