Re: Filtering to remove the yeast

  • sylvania65
    Message 1 of 10 , May 2, 2007
      I get the impression that most just leave the yeast in the wash in the
      still. I've heard a number of folks swear that it makes no difference
      in the distillate, and a few who think it does. The yeast I use isn't
      much for settling out, that's why I leave it in. I can't detect any
      flavor from it in my product, so I don't worry about it. Filtration is
      a lot of trouble for questionable, maybe no, gain.

      Message 2 of 10 , May 2, 2007
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sylvania65" <sylvan@...> wrote:

        > I get the impression that most just leave the yeast in the wash in
        the
        > still. I've heard a number of folks swear that it makes no difference
        > in the distillate, and a few who think it does. The yeast I use isn't
        > much for settling out, that's why I leave it in. I can't detect any
        > flavor from it in my product, so I don't worry about it. Filtration
        is
        > a lot of trouble for questionable, maybe no, gain.

        Yup. That about sums it up for the average hobbyist. However it
        really depends on what you're trying to achieve product-wise. For
        instance, in Scotch type whiskies some of the flavours & character are
        a result of the first stripping of the wash, with yeast, grains and
        all, as soon as it finishes fermentation. Obviously certain yeast
        strains lend themselves better than others to this cooking. Some
        yeasts taste downright nasty when they burst, others are delicious.

        Conversely, if you're looking for a flavourless neutral spirit, then
        commercially the yeast is often (not always) centrifuged out before
        the wash goes to the still. This to avoid any possibility of burst
        yeast cells stinking up the product. Hobbyists can achieve similar
        yeast separation cheaply by refrigerating their wash for a day or so
        prior to distilling. The yeast will drop out into a bottom layer,
        then the cleared wash can be carefully siphoned off, just like racking
        a wine.

      • abbababbaccc
        Message 3 of 10 , May 2, 2007
          If you use a reflux still with uncleared mash some "burnt" or "sweet"
          flavor will most of the time carry over towards the end of the run. The
          recommended solution is to do a quick stripping run to get rid of any
          solids in the mash. Much easier than proper filtering.

          Cheers, Riku

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sylvania65" <sylvan@...> wrote:

          > I get the impression that most just leave the yeast in the wash in the
          > still. I've heard a number of folks swear that it makes no difference
          > in the distillate, and a few who think it does. The yeast I use isn't
          > much for settling out, that's why I leave it in. I can't detect any
          > flavor from it in my product, so I don't worry about it. Filtration is
          > a lot of trouble for questionable, maybe no, gain.

        • bbornais
          Message 4 of 10 , May 2, 2007
            If you have access to Buchner filtration, then I assume you can secure
            some diatomaceous earth (commonly bought as the name brand Celite).

            It is commonly used to increase the filtration capacity of buchner
            funnel paper filtration, while at the same time, it avoids the problem
            of clogging the small pores of the funnel, thereby speeding filtration.

            I usually make about a 1/4in bed above the filter paper. Make a slurry
            then pour in with vacuum on.

            Works great,

            Bryan.
          • johnmuzza
            Message 5 of 10 , May 2, 2007
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jrwme" <jrwme@...> wrote:

              > I want to filter my wash before sending it to the still to remove the
              > yeast. I have constructed a buchner filter and vacume pump and I want
              > some advice on the correct filter medium / paper or other to use
              (120mm
              > diameter). I have tried coffee filters but the yeast goes straight
              > through :(
              >
              > I'm in Oz so please keep that in mind with respect to posible sources
              > of supply
              >
              > TIA

              I brought a filter from a crowd called Clarence Water Filters - they
              are in Yamba NSW. It filters down to 1 micron and leaves no yeast its
              cravity feed and easy to use. I found them on Ebay

              John
            • KM Services
              Message 6 of 10 , May 2, 2007

                Maybe I am jumping into the tread a little late in the piece, but why filter? If you have the patience and let your wash settle ( even use a turbo clearing agent) then use a stripping run then slowly distil you will not get off tastes in my experience.

                My pennies worth

                Cheers Ken Mc

                --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "jrwme" <jrwme@...> wrote:

                > I want to filter my wash before sending it to the still to remove the
                > yeast. I have constructed a buchner filter and vacume pump and I want
                > some advice on the correct filter medium / paper or other to use
                (120mm
                > diameter). I have tried coffee filters but the yeast goes straight
                > through :(
                >
                > I'm in Oz so please keep that in mind with respect to posible sources
                > of supply
                >
                > TIA

                I brought a filter from a crowd called Clarence Water Filters - they
                are in Yamba NSW. It filters down to 1 micron and leaves no yeast its
                cravity feed and easy to use. I found them on Ebay

                John

              • jrwme
                Message 7 of 10 , May 2, 2007
                  > I brought a filter from a crowd called Clarence Water Filters - they
                  > are in Yamba NSW. It filters down to 1 micron and leaves no yeast its
                  > cravity feed and easy to use. I found them on Ebay
                  >
                  > John

                  Yes I know of these people but I could not find a gravity feed 1 micron
                  system. Any details regards name/model no etc?

                • johnmuzza
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 2, 2007
                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jrwme" <jrwme@...> wrote:

                    > > I brought a filter from a crowd called Clarence Water Filters -
                    they
                    > > are in Yamba NSW. It filters down to 1 micron and leaves no yeast
                    its
                    > > cravity feed and easy to use. I found them on Ebay
                    > >
                    > > John
                    > >

                    > Yes I know of these people but I could not find a gravity feed 1
                    micron
                    > system. Any details regards name/model no etc?

                    The Ebay item number is 170108191837
                    Described as Home Brew Beer Filter and Washable Cartridge. Gravity or
                    low pressure filter with 1 micron pleaterd washable filter. See thru
                    housing with 3/4" BSP ports. Good luck

                    John