Re: [Distillers] Filtering to remove the yeast

  • Robert Thomas
    Message 1 of 10 , May 2, 2007
      It is hard work. Have you thought of trying various sedimentation
      methods: isinglass finings; egg whites (raw or "easy egg white
      powder");bentonite; kieselguhr; patience.

      If you desparately want to filter, I'd suggest a strong filter paper.
      Mix the wash with bentonite or kieselguhr and then filter. The
      diatomaceous earth acts as an entraining agent and creates its own
      filter.

      Your losses from filtering (eg forever having to renew the filter as it
      blocks) and the time and mess involved, combined with the fact that the
      yeast will settle given enough time (put it in a fridge to speed it up)
      is why most people don't filter.

      Cheers
      Rob.

      --- jrwme <jrwme@...> wrote:

      > I want to filter my wash before sending it to the still to remove the
      >
      > yeast. I have constructed a buchner filter and vacume pump and I want
      >
      > some advice on the correct filter medium / paper or other to use
      > (120mm
      > diameter). I have tried coffee filters but the yeast goes straight
      > through :(
      >
      > I'm in Oz so please keep that in mind with respect to posible sources
      >
      > of supply
      >
      > TIA

      Cheers,
      Rob.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • sylvania65
      Message 2 of 10 , May 2, 2007
        I get the impression that most just leave the yeast in the wash in the
        still. I've heard a number of folks swear that it makes no difference
        in the distillate, and a few who think it does. The yeast I use isn't
        much for settling out, that's why I leave it in. I can't detect any
        flavor from it in my product, so I don't worry about it. Filtration is
        a lot of trouble for questionable, maybe no, gain.

        Message 3 of 10 , May 2, 2007
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sylvania65" <sylvan@...> wrote:

          > I get the impression that most just leave the yeast in the wash in
          the
          > still. I've heard a number of folks swear that it makes no difference
          > in the distillate, and a few who think it does. The yeast I use isn't
          > much for settling out, that's why I leave it in. I can't detect any
          > flavor from it in my product, so I don't worry about it. Filtration
          is
          > a lot of trouble for questionable, maybe no, gain.

          Yup. That about sums it up for the average hobbyist. However it
          really depends on what you're trying to achieve product-wise. For
          instance, in Scotch type whiskies some of the flavours & character are
          a result of the first stripping of the wash, with yeast, grains and
          all, as soon as it finishes fermentation. Obviously certain yeast
          strains lend themselves better than others to this cooking. Some
          yeasts taste downright nasty when they burst, others are delicious.

          Conversely, if you're looking for a flavourless neutral spirit, then
          commercially the yeast is often (not always) centrifuged out before
          the wash goes to the still. This to avoid any possibility of burst
          yeast cells stinking up the product. Hobbyists can achieve similar
          yeast separation cheaply by refrigerating their wash for a day or so
          prior to distilling. The yeast will drop out into a bottom layer,
          then the cleared wash can be carefully siphoned off, just like racking
          a wine.

        • abbababbaccc
          Message 4 of 10 , May 2, 2007
            If you use a reflux still with uncleared mash some "burnt" or "sweet"
            flavor will most of the time carry over towards the end of the run. The
            recommended solution is to do a quick stripping run to get rid of any
            solids in the mash. Much easier than proper filtering.

            Cheers, Riku

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sylvania65" <sylvan@...> wrote:

            > I get the impression that most just leave the yeast in the wash in the
            > still. I've heard a number of folks swear that it makes no difference
            > in the distillate, and a few who think it does. The yeast I use isn't
            > much for settling out, that's why I leave it in. I can't detect any
            > flavor from it in my product, so I don't worry about it. Filtration is
            > a lot of trouble for questionable, maybe no, gain.

          • bbornais
            Message 5 of 10 , May 2, 2007
              If you have access to Buchner filtration, then I assume you can secure
              some diatomaceous earth (commonly bought as the name brand Celite).

              It is commonly used to increase the filtration capacity of buchner
              funnel paper filtration, while at the same time, it avoids the problem
              of clogging the small pores of the funnel, thereby speeding filtration.

              I usually make about a 1/4in bed above the filter paper. Make a slurry
              then pour in with vacuum on.

              Works great,

              Bryan.
            • johnmuzza
              Message 6 of 10 , May 2, 2007
                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jrwme" <jrwme@...> wrote:

                > I want to filter my wash before sending it to the still to remove the
                > yeast. I have constructed a buchner filter and vacume pump and I want
                > some advice on the correct filter medium / paper or other to use
                (120mm
                > diameter). I have tried coffee filters but the yeast goes straight
                > through :(
                >
                > I'm in Oz so please keep that in mind with respect to posible sources
                > of supply
                >
                > TIA

                I brought a filter from a crowd called Clarence Water Filters - they
                are in Yamba NSW. It filters down to 1 micron and leaves no yeast its
                cravity feed and easy to use. I found them on Ebay

                John
              • KM Services
                Message 7 of 10 , May 2, 2007

                  Maybe I am jumping into the tread a little late in the piece, but why filter? If you have the patience and let your wash settle ( even use a turbo clearing agent) then use a stripping run then slowly distil you will not get off tastes in my experience.

                  My pennies worth

                  Cheers Ken Mc

                  --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "jrwme" <jrwme@...> wrote:

                  > I want to filter my wash before sending it to the still to remove the
                  > yeast. I have constructed a buchner filter and vacume pump and I want
                  > some advice on the correct filter medium / paper or other to use
                  (120mm
                  > diameter). I have tried coffee filters but the yeast goes straight
                  > through :(
                  >
                  > I'm in Oz so please keep that in mind with respect to posible sources
                  > of supply
                  >
                  > TIA

                  I brought a filter from a crowd called Clarence Water Filters - they
                  are in Yamba NSW. It filters down to 1 micron and leaves no yeast its
                  cravity feed and easy to use. I found them on Ebay

                  John

                • jrwme
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 2, 2007
                    > I brought a filter from a crowd called Clarence Water Filters - they
                    > are in Yamba NSW. It filters down to 1 micron and leaves no yeast its
                    > cravity feed and easy to use. I found them on Ebay
                    >
                    > John

                    Yes I know of these people but I could not find a gravity feed 1 micron
                    system. Any details regards name/model no etc?

                  • johnmuzza
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 2, 2007
                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jrwme" <jrwme@...> wrote:

                      > > I brought a filter from a crowd called Clarence Water Filters -
                      they
                      > > are in Yamba NSW. It filters down to 1 micron and leaves no yeast
                      its
                      > > cravity feed and easy to use. I found them on Ebay
                      > >
                      > > John
                      > >

                      > Yes I know of these people but I could not find a gravity feed 1
                      micron
                      > system. Any details regards name/model no etc?

                      The Ebay item number is 170108191837
                      Described as Home Brew Beer Filter and Washable Cartridge. Gravity or
                      low pressure filter with 1 micron pleaterd washable filter. See thru
                      housing with 3/4" BSP ports. Good luck

                      John