Re: Triple distilled Irish Whiskey.

  • duds2u
    Message 1 of 48 , Apr 30, 2007
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rocky_creek1" <rocky_creek@...>
      wrote:

      > Anyone know where they make the cuts?

      After many hours of web browsing I have found a little more on the
      cuts for triple distillation. It just happens that it is for a scotch
      whisky though but the flow chart looks very similar to Irish. I
      found it on the Benrinnes site and will paraphrase it with some of my
      own inclusions. Unfortunately I don't have the complete story yet as
      I haven't been able to discover the cuts they make for the final
      Heart.

      The First Distillation - Wash Still
      The out put of the wash still is split into heads and tails; the
      Strong Low Wines, cut at >30% ABV, and Weak Low Wines cut at <30% ABV.

      The Second Distillation - Low Wines Still
      The Low Wines Still is charged with the Weak Low Wines, plus the Weak
      Feints (<30%) from the last distillation in the Low Wines Still, plus
      the <30% Feints (Tails) from the Spirit Still. This is distilled and
      again the out put is split in two, Strong Feints (>30% ABV) and Weak
      Feints (<30%).

      The Third Distillation - Spirit Still
      The Spirit Still is then loaded with the Strong Low Wines from the
      Wash Still, plus the Strong Feints, plus the Heads from the previous
      Spirit Still run.

      This is then distilled and split into four. Heads, Heart, >30%
      feints and <30% feints.

      I hope that it too confusing without a flow chart.

      Anyone care to make an educated stab at their final cuts if they were
      making heart runs at about 89 to 92%ABV? I pulled those numbers out
      of the flow chart in Harry's library.
      Cheers
      Mal T.
    • duds2u