Making Rum by Ian Smiley

    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 29, 2007
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 29, 2007

        > Making Rum
        >
        > http://www.distilling.com/newsletters/american_distiller72.html
        >
        > wal

        A fairly standard light rum recipe using molasses/sugar mix as a
        substrate. However, there's a glaring error in the head temperatures.

      • Robert Hubble
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 29, 2007
          Wal,

          Thanks again for being
          our-guy-out-there-scrounging-up-essential-information-and-re-disseminating-it.

          I listen REALLY hard to Smiley, and my copy of "Making Pure Corn Whiskey" is
          hard-used and looking dog-eared.

          Having said that, look at this paragraph, and you tell ME who was thinking
          what with respect to temperatures. They're not simple typos, because they
          have also been correctly converted to degrees C.

          "Continue to smell and taste the spirit periodically as it�s dripping out of
          the still during the hearts phase, and monitor the still-head temperature.
          As the temperature tops over 90 oF (33 oC), watch out for taste changes in
          the flavour of the spirit. Towards the end of the hearts phase, the spirit
          will start losing its sweetness and begin taking on a grainy, unpleasant
          flavour. This is the point where the run is end-cut to the tails phase.
          Switch the receiver to a tails collector. The end-cut will typically take
          place when the evolving distillate is at about 65%, and the head temperature
          is around 92 oF (33.5 oC)."

          I still love Smiley (well, platonically, don'cha know?), but he must have
          friends that need to pay more attention.

          Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

          >From: "waljaco" <waljaco@...>
          >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [Distillers] Making Rum by Ian Smiley
          >Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 15:32:07 -0000
          >
          >Making Rum
          >
          >http://www.distilling.com/newsletters/american_distiller72.html
          >
          >wal

          MSN is giving away a trip to Vegas to see Elton John.� Enter to win today.
          http://msnconcertcontest.com?icid-nceltontagline
        • Robert Thomas
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 29, 2007
            They are 100 F too low and then converted (I guess).
            Rob.

            Cheers,
            Rob.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Ian
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 29, 2007
              Maybe oF smells like oC when u've had a gutfull :)

              > our-guy-out-there-scrounging-up-essential-information-and-re-disseminating-it.
              >
              > I listen REALLY hard to Smiley, and my copy of "Making Pure Corn Whiskey"
              > is
              > hard-used and looking dog-eared.
              >
              > Having said that, look at this paragraph, and you tell ME who was thinking
              > what with respect to temperatures. They're not simple typos, because they
              > have also been correctly converted to degrees C.
              >
              > "Continue to smell and taste the spirit periodically as it's dripping out
              > of
              > the still during the hearts phase, and monitor the still-head temperature.
              > As the temperature tops over 90 oF (33 oC), watch out for taste changes in
              > the flavour of the spirit. Towards the end of the hearts phase, the spirit
              > will start losing its sweetness and begin taking on a grainy, unpleasant
              > flavour. This is the point where the run is end-cut to the tails phase.
              > Switch the receiver to a tails collector. The end-cut will typically take
              > place when the evolving distillate is at about 65%, and the head
              > temperature
              > is around 92 oF (33.5 oC)."
              >
              > I still love Smiley (well, platonically, don'cha know?), but he must have
              > friends that need to pay more attention.
              >

              > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
              >

              >>From: "waljaco" <waljaco@...>
              >>To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
              >>Subject: [Distillers] Making Rum by Ian Smiley
              >>Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 15:32:07 -0000
              >>
              >>Making Rum
              >>
              >>http://www.distilling.com/newsletters/american_distiller72.html
              >>
              >>wal

              > FAQ, Howto distil etc. :
              > http://homedistiller.org
              > Yahoo! Groups Links
              >

              > --
              > 3:32 PM

            • Trid
              Message 6 of 12 , May 1, 2007
                I've discovered that it causes severe and irreversible brain damage.
                Today I found myself putting a deposit down on a ring for SWMBO and I'm making
                plans to surprise her with a proposal on 5/27

                For the love of all that is holy, it's too late for me, but not for all of you.
                Run!!! Run screaming while you can still save yourself!!! Don't let this
                dangerous hobby affect you, too!!!

                Trid
                -Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...
              • Andrew Bugal
                Message 7 of 12 , May 1, 2007
                  mmm...."altered states" huh?

                  No sympathy you fool - now you can experience life like the rest of us "happy" souls.  With luck, you might get a 3 months honeymoon and then watch out.

                  I am reminded of an old joke..."Love is blind and marriage is an institution.  Does this mean marriage is an institution for the blind?"

                  With any luck, she is deaf, mute and her father owns a liquor store.

                  Seriously though - best of luck.  I have been married 35 years.  Never considered divorce but did consider murder a couple of times.

                  Best regards,

                  Bwyze

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 1, 2007
                    > Trid wrote:
                    >
                    > <SNIP>
                    > For the love of all that is holy, it's too
                    > late for me, but not for all of you.
                    > <SNIP>

                    Trid,

                    I refuse to beleive it is too late for you.
                    Even those that have been afflicted with
                    full blown symptoms for years can still be
                    saved.

                    I will perscribe to you an intensive course
                    of booze and hookers and you will feel like
                    a new man afterwards :D
                  • duds2u
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 2, 2007
                      Good luck Trid.
                      I've been married twice in 36 years, both times to the same girl. Never
                      could work out how to train another one!
                      cheers
                      Mal T.
                    • handfoot@cox.net
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 2, 2007
                        Congrats and good luck!! May the liquor always dissipate her headache!
                        John
                        ---- Trid <triddlywinks@...> wrote:
                        > I've discovered that it causes severe and irreversible brain damage.
                        > Today I found myself putting a deposit down on a ring for SWMBO and I'm making
                        > plans to surprise her with a proposal on 5/27
                        >
                        > For the love of all that is holy, it's too late for me, but not for all of you.
                        > Run!!! Run screaming while you can still save yourself!!! Don't let this
                        > dangerous hobby affect you, too!!!
                        >
                        > Trid
                        > -Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...
                      • tyler_97355
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 3, 2007
                          Congrats Trid!!! Hope your marriage works out better than mine did.
                          Just remember, no hobby is more important than your relationship. God
                          bless.

                          -Tyler

                          > I've discovered that it causes severe and irreversible brain damage.
                          > Today I found myself putting a deposit down on a ring for SWMBO and
                          I'm making
                          > plans to surprise her with a proposal on 5/27
                          >
                          > For the love of all that is holy, it's too late for me, but not for
                          all of you.
                          > Run!!! Run screaming while you can still save yourself!!! Don't
                          let this
                          > dangerous hobby affect you, too!!!
                          >
                          > Trid
                          > -Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

                        • mellstull
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 3, 2007

                            Bum ass, more drinking, less lust and a  cheap whore and your back to the hobby and it will cost less