RE: [Distillers] Re: Badly OT; about mead priming/carbonation

  • Robert Hubble
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 24 10:14 AM
      blanikdog and Wal,

      Thanks for the feedback. Last fall, when we were cidering, my wife
      found an old, heavily fruited pear tree, and a neighbor who is a
      beekeeper. After a bit of websearching, she decided we were in
      the pear mead business, so I made 2 batches of it, sitting in tertiary
      fermentation until this last weekend.

      Understand I've never drunk mead, with the exception of an awful
      concoction from an acquaintance, which was on the sweet side of
      pancake syrup. Much of the depiction I've seen of mead involves
      foaming horns of it, and loud hairy men, so I assumed ALL mead was
      sparkling ( I already knew not all men are loud and hairy, but most
      of my friends are, so I was ready for that part).

      Anyway, I bottled one batch Saturday night, primed with corn sugar
      like an ale, and I'll probaly do the next batch in like fashion, but I
      now know that priming is optional.

      Upshot is, if about next September you're feeling loud and hairy,
      come-on-a-my-house and grab a foaming horn.

      Sorry about the OT part, and I'll be quiet, for a while.

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

      ----snip----

      > > > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

      > > > Download Messenger. Join the i'm Initiative. Help make a difference
      > > today.
      > > > http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGHM_APR07

    • morganfield1
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 24 12:45 PM
        We'll have to come up with a secret sign, like the finger along the
        side of the nose. And a secret password, like "The the thumper thumps
        at midnight"
        Tip one, Morgan