RE: [Distillers] Re: Badly OT; about mead priming/carbonation

  • Robert Hubble
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 24, 2007
      >From: "Harry" <gnikomson2000@...>
      >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [Distillers] Re: Badly OT; about mead priming/carbonation
      >Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 04:05:14 -0000
      >
      >--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Hubble" <zymurgybob@...>
      >wrote:
      >
      > > Obligatory ON-topic stuff. As we speak, the spirit run of the
      >scotch I've
      > > been working on for a couple of months (maybe three) progresses. I
      >may just
      > > be fooling myself about what flavor elements I can taste
      >teaspooning the
      > > condenser output, but I think I'm getting the nice malty taste I'm
      >looking
      > > for. WOOHOO!
      > >
      > > I'll keep you posted.
      > >
      > > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
      >

      >The rewards are there for those willing to take the necessary
      >painstaking steps. Anybody with a sugar source & yeast, plus a
      >crude 2-pot setup can produce ethanol (or more likely, rotgut). But
      >it takes dedication & attention to detail to craft a product worthy
      >of the moniker "artisan spirits". Truth be known, we who choose to
      >craft our own spirits spend more in cash, time & energy per litre
      >produced than the commercial offerings. But it's worth it! :))
      >
      >Keep up the good work, Bob. 'tis a shame we can't host an
      >international gathering to showcase our wares. P'raps in the
      >future, when hobby distilling is finally decriminalized, we may be
      >able to (I think I'll be long dead by then).
      >
      >Slainte!
      >regards Harry

      Thanks for the kind words, Harry. I'm sure as hell no master distiller, but
      with the information available from this list, and a BUNCH of time, the
      quality of what we can accomplish is truly amazing, and it brings me no
      end of pleasure and pride.

      Thanks for giving us a great list.

      Like you, I've lusted for some sort of a gathering where we can exchange
      boasts, lies, and a dram or two. But even if we can't do a big, formal,
      legal
      meeting, we CAN connect with carefully picked list members, and share
      information, experiences, and yes, even product.

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

      MSN is giving away a trip to Vegas to see Elton John.� Enter to win today.
      http://msnconcertcontest.com?icid-nceltontagline
    • Robert Hubble
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 24, 2007
        blanikdog and Wal,

        Thanks for the feedback. Last fall, when we were cidering, my wife
        found an old, heavily fruited pear tree, and a neighbor who is a
        beekeeper. After a bit of websearching, she decided we were in
        the pear mead business, so I made 2 batches of it, sitting in tertiary
        fermentation until this last weekend.

        Understand I've never drunk mead, with the exception of an awful
        concoction from an acquaintance, which was on the sweet side of
        pancake syrup. Much of the depiction I've seen of mead involves
        foaming horns of it, and loud hairy men, so I assumed ALL mead was
        sparkling ( I already knew not all men are loud and hairy, but most
        of my friends are, so I was ready for that part).

        Anyway, I bottled one batch Saturday night, primed with corn sugar
        like an ale, and I'll probaly do the next batch in like fashion, but I
        now know that priming is optional.

        Upshot is, if about next September you're feeling loud and hairy,
        come-on-a-my-house and grab a foaming horn.

        Sorry about the OT part, and I'll be quiet, for a while.

        ----snip----

        > > > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

        > > > Download Messenger. Join the i'm Initiative. Help make a difference
        > > today.
        > > > http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGHM_APR07

      • morganfield1
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 24, 2007
          We'll have to come up with a secret sign, like the finger along the
          side of the nose. And a secret password, like "The the thumper thumps
          at midnight"
          Tip one, Morgan