CRUD

  • anthony547357
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 3, 2007
      Having the 4 gal remainder of distilling a 5 gal batch of sugar wash 4
      weeks ago, I determined to keep it in case it could be useful or
      beneficial, at a later date.

      This evening, I took off the lid. The most awful crud appeared to be
      on the surface. Not being a brave man, I rapidly rammed the lid back
      on without giving it a poke or a smell.

      I will most readily ditch it - but thought I would take the forum's
      advice before so doing. Are there any more riches to be derived?

      Tony A
    • diskmaster23
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 5, 2007
        Has this happened before?

        Go smell it and tell us what kind of smell there is. Give a better
        description of the CRUD.

        Disk

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "anthony547357"
        <Anthony.Athawes@...> wrote:

        > Having the 4 gal remainder of distilling a 5 gal batch of sugar wash 4
        > weeks ago, I determined to keep it in case it could be useful or
        > beneficial, at a later date.
        >
        > This evening, I took off the lid. The most awful crud appeared to be
        > on the surface. Not being a brave man, I rapidly rammed the lid back
        > on without giving it a poke or a smell.
        >
        > I will most readily ditch it - but thought I would take the forum's
        > advice before so doing. Are there any more riches to be derived?
        >
        > Tony A

      • anthony547357
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 5, 2007
          It was such disgusting looking stuff, my wife determined to throw it
          out and donned rubber gloves (comes of changing nappies, I suppose).

          However, throwing our minds back a few days, this is our description.

          1.The surface was uneven and looked quite thick - meringue looking.
          The colour was fawny (generally brown). When we scooped it off, it
          proved to be not so thick as we had thought, and floated around. It
          was easily disturbed on the surface and smelt of yeast. (My wife has
          a poor sense of smell, but said she could easily detect yeast).

          2,Under the formation, there was no more than than we shall call
          beer wash. Likewise we ditched this.

          3.The lid of the 50 litre keg is held down with 8mm bolts. So as not
          to lose them, I had lightly screwed them in position. Unfortunately,
          this lead to an air gap under a protective lid. Small flies had got
          in, and, through intoxication or inability to swim, had perished on
          the surface scum (yeast).

          4.I'm afraid this deterred us from any further interest.

          So, I think we can conclude the scum/crud could, at one stage have
          been perfectly OK yeast that was fermenting out. As a novice Rum
          maker, I'd like to know if this is Dunder, or whether the 3.75
          gallons left from distillation, is the Dunder to be used in the next
          batch of Rum, and in what quantity to the original Molasses beer.

          Tony A

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "diskmaster23" <diskmaster23@...>
          wrote:

          > Has this happened before?
          >
          > Go smell it and tell us what kind of smell there is. Give a better
          > description of the CRUD.
          >
          > Disk
          >
          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "anthony547357"
          > <Anthony.Athawes@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Having the 4 gal remainder of distilling a 5 gal batch of sugar
          wash 4
          > > weeks ago, I determined to keep it in case it could be useful or
          > > beneficial, at a later date.
          > >
          > > This evening, I took off the lid. The most awful crud appeared
          to be
          > > on the surface. Not being a brave man, I rapidly rammed the lid
          back
          > > on without giving it a poke or a smell.
          > >
          > > I will most readily ditch it - but thought I would take the
          forum's
          > > advice before so doing. Are there any more riches to be derived?
          > >
          > > Tony A

        • Sven Pfitt
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 6, 2007
            It sounds like standard yeast kreusen (the foam rocky head produced
            during fermentation which is rich in yeast).

            I think you threw out a good batch.

            The contamination from fruit flies is normally lactic acid producitng
            bacteria. Not the worst thing that could happen to a wash. And the
            lactic acid production takes a while. At low levels I doubt it would
            negativly impact your rum wash. If it were beer, I'd just call it
            pLambic.

            If it happens again, just go ahead and run it for the experience. It
            might surprise you, in a plesant way.

            Sven

            <Anthony.Athawes@...> wrote:

            > It was such disgusting looking stuff, my wife determined to throw
            it
            > out and donned rubber gloves (comes of changing nappies, I suppose).
            >
            > However, throwing our minds back a few days, this is our
            description.

            > 1.The surface was uneven and looked quite thick - meringue looking.
            > The colour was fawny (generally brown). When we scooped it off, it
            > proved to be not so thick as we had thought, and floated around. It
            > was easily disturbed on the surface and smelt of yeast. (My wife
            has
            > a poor sense of smell, but said she could easily detect yeast).
            >
            > 2,Under the formation, there was no more than than we shall call
            > beer wash. Likewise we ditched this.
            >
            > 3.The lid of the 50 litre keg is held down with 8mm bolts. So as
            not
            > to lose them, I had lightly screwed them in position.
            Unfortunately,
            > this lead to an air gap under a protective lid. Small flies had got
            > in, and, through intoxication or inability to swim, had perished on
            > the surface scum (yeast).
            >
            > 4.I'm afraid this deterred us from any further interest.
            >
            > So, I think we can conclude the scum/crud could, at one stage have
            > been perfectly OK yeast that was fermenting out. As a novice Rum
            > maker, I'd like to know if this is Dunder, or whether the 3.75
            > gallons left from distillation, is the Dunder to be used in the
            next
            > batch of Rum, and in what quantity to the original Molasses beer.
            >
            > Tony A
            >

            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "diskmaster23" <diskmaster23@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Has this happened before?
            > >
            > > Go smell it and tell us what kind of smell there is. Give a better
            > > description of the CRUD.
            > >
            > > Disk
            > >
            > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "anthony547357"
            > > <Anthony.Athawes@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Having the 4 gal remainder of distilling a 5 gal batch of sugar
            > wash 4
            > > > weeks ago, I determined to keep it in case it could be useful
            or
            > > > beneficial, at a later date.
            > > >
            > > > This evening, I took off the lid. The most awful crud appeared
            > to be
            > > > on the surface. Not being a brave man, I rapidly rammed the lid
            > back
            > > > on without giving it a poke or a smell.
            > > >
            > > > I will most readily ditch it - but thought I would take the
            > forum's
            > > > advice before so doing. Are there any more riches to be derived?
            > > >
            > > > Tony A

          • anthony547357
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 6, 2007
              Thank you for this Sven, it was very kind of you to come back.
              Reading around the subject, I'm certain you're correct. Next time I
              shall keep the yeast - and perhaps save on Turbo etc.

              If you have any similar comments on my Rum making, please come
              forward. It has been very dificult getting a complete, definitive
              recipe for the stuff - and I have many sources, Home and Compleat
              Distiller, Spirits Unlimited, other Distillers, and a zillion pages
              from good Harry's Library. Could be I've missed it - no tons of
              bricks, please!

              Tony A

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sven Pfitt" <the_gimp98@...>