Re: anti-foaming agents

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2007
      Was this to prevent foaming during fermentation or are you talking
      about anti foaming during distillation?

      Cheers, Riku

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, mike karnowski <djpotpie@...> wrote:

      > I just visited Buffalo Trace distillery and they had a heavy layer
      of corn oil floating on top of the ferment. -m

      > ---------------------------------

    • Robert Thomas
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2007
        I have this vague memory of reading that the oil is not added, but
        comes from the corn mash. It is just that it is very obvious on that
        scale, but not on home brew scale.
        Rob.

        --- mike karnowski <djpotpie@...> wrote:

        > I just visited Buffalo Trace distillery and they had a heavy layer of
        > corn oil floating on top of the ferment. -m
        >
        > ---------------------------------

        Cheers,
        Rob.

        Looking for earth-friendly autos?
        http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/
      • Thomas Smith
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2007
          I do all corn mashes and after about 2 days ferment there is a lot of corn oil on top of the mash. I'm sure it comes from the oil in the corn and I think that large distiller's would probably recover it and sell it.

          youngblood

          I just visited Buffalo Trace distillery and they had a heavy layer of corn oil floating on top of the ferment.  -m

          in 45,000 destinations on Yahoo! Travel
          to find your fit.

        • donald holcombe
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 3, 2007
            Ive had corn oil seperate out of the mash and float on top. Some times but not always.

            I just visited Buffalo Trace distillery and they had a heavy layer of corn oil floating on top of the ferment.  -m

            in 45,000 destinations on Yahoo! Travel
            to find your fit.

            Bored stiff? Loosen up...