Re: [Distillers] Re: RUM

  • Thomas Smith
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 2 4:28 AM
      Acording to Smileys book you should never let the wash set  but distill  right away to avoid off flavors.  is this just his opinion or have you found this not to be true?

      Tom
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 2 6:16 AM
        <smiththomas9263@...> wrote:

        > Acording to Smileys book you should never let the wash set but
        distill right away to avoid off flavors. is this just his opinion
        or have you found this not to be true?

        > Tom

        It depends on what you're making, and what you're using as a
        substrate (sugar source). For most grain-based whiskys, it's normal
        to distil off as soon as the ferment is done. This is to avoid
        spoilage as it is common for grains to carry large colonies of
        bacteria. When the ferment is nearly complete, the more hardy (pH
        tolerant) of these can then have a chance to multiply. Sometimes
        this is actually desirable, most often not. Lactobacillus is one
        that is desirable for whisky, yet is a known producer of Diacetyl
        among other things.

        It depends on what style you're after. Remember there's well over
        4,000 different Scotch Malts & blends alone, not to mention the
        American & Irish contributions. This early distilling of whisky
        beers also accounts for the small amount of diacetyl commonly
        present (and tolerated) in the distillate, as there has been no
        diacetyl rest.

        The situation is different for molasses or sugar beers (used for
        rums & sometimes vodkas). Clarified molasses has almost no bacteria
        left in it. In fact a culture of bacteria obtained from cane
        bagasse (processed fibre) is often ADDED to the ferment to enhance
        the product flavours. Refined sugar has no bacteria. Both of these
        will produce beers (ferments) that can stand several weeks of
        settling or storage, PROVIDED the container seal has not been
        breached or opened to atmosphere as this WILL allow bacteria in and
        the result will be spoilt beer.

        In all cases, even your whiskys, if you find that your strain of
        yeast is producing a decidedly butterscotch overtone in your
        finished spirits, then you have to decide if this is what you want
        in your style of product. If you like it, then just continue as you
        normally do. If not, then you need to give your finished beer a
        diacetyl rest, which will reduce the amount via yeast reabsorption.

        For a very good description on Diacetyl, its formation & how to
        remove it, go here...
        http://beerme.com/diacetyl.shtml

        HTH
      • morganfield1
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 2 4:06 PM
          I know you were trying to keep this a secret, but I guess the cat is
          out of the bag (you are the Orical, after all).
          Tip one, Morgan

          >Hi Harry,
          > I have been monitoring these emails and it seems you have a lot of
          knowledge.
        • juliet kent
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 3 2:13 PM
            Would you mind forwarding that picture to me too Ian. Am thinking of having
            a crack at making one and it sounds simple enough even for me. Cheers ,
            Juliet

            >From: "Ian" <ian@...>
            >To: <Distillers@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: RUM
            >Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 08:40:30 +1000
            >
            >Gidday once again :)
            >
            >A PDA-1 is exactly what you don't want too be making rum, or any flavoured
            >sprit,
            >Unless you want too make rum that tastes like cheep vodka :)
            >
            >It'll make an almost flavourless sprit, at a high %,
            >
            >You want a simple pot still, Ive forwarded you a picture of mine,
            >Pot stills are super easy too make,

            Live Search delivers results the way you like it. Try live.com now!
            http://www.live.com