Re: RUM

    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007

      > --- Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:
      >
      > > 2) The beer gets a Diacetyl rest (look it up). Beneficial to
      final
      > > taste & quality of spirits.
      >
      > If I recall correctly, in the context of whisky, diacetyl is
      desirable.
      > Doesn't this correspond with using butter as an anti-foaming agent
      in terms of
      > flavor profile? Then again, in the context of rum, it could all
      be different.

      > Either way, I figured I'd at least raise the question.
      >
      > Trid

      And a good question to raise, Trid.
      Diacetyl is the scourge of brewers. Some yeast strains produce
      copious amounts of it. However a LITTLE in whisky is not so bad.
      It provides a slight butterscotch flavour (which is why they use
      butter to kill foaming; it's flavour is compatible).

      But butterscotch notes in rums, vodkas, or really anything else bar
      whisky is not part of those spirits' flavour & aroma profiles.

    • Thomas Smith
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
        Acording to Smileys book you should never let the wash set  but distill  right away to avoid off flavors.  is this just his opinion or have you found this not to be true?

        Tom
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
          <smiththomas9263@...> wrote:

          > Acording to Smileys book you should never let the wash set but
          distill right away to avoid off flavors. is this just his opinion
          or have you found this not to be true?

          > Tom

          It depends on what you're making, and what you're using as a
          substrate (sugar source). For most grain-based whiskys, it's normal
          to distil off as soon as the ferment is done. This is to avoid
          spoilage as it is common for grains to carry large colonies of
          bacteria. When the ferment is nearly complete, the more hardy (pH
          tolerant) of these can then have a chance to multiply. Sometimes
          this is actually desirable, most often not. Lactobacillus is one
          that is desirable for whisky, yet is a known producer of Diacetyl
          among other things.

          It depends on what style you're after. Remember there's well over
          4,000 different Scotch Malts & blends alone, not to mention the
          American & Irish contributions. This early distilling of whisky
          beers also accounts for the small amount of diacetyl commonly
          present (and tolerated) in the distillate, as there has been no
          diacetyl rest.

          The situation is different for molasses or sugar beers (used for
          rums & sometimes vodkas). Clarified molasses has almost no bacteria
          left in it. In fact a culture of bacteria obtained from cane
          bagasse (processed fibre) is often ADDED to the ferment to enhance
          the product flavours. Refined sugar has no bacteria. Both of these
          will produce beers (ferments) that can stand several weeks of
          settling or storage, PROVIDED the container seal has not been
          breached or opened to atmosphere as this WILL allow bacteria in and
          the result will be spoilt beer.

          In all cases, even your whiskys, if you find that your strain of
          yeast is producing a decidedly butterscotch overtone in your
          finished spirits, then you have to decide if this is what you want
          in your style of product. If you like it, then just continue as you
          normally do. If not, then you need to give your finished beer a
          diacetyl rest, which will reduce the amount via yeast reabsorption.

          For a very good description on Diacetyl, its formation & how to
          remove it, go here...
          http://beerme.com/diacetyl.shtml

          HTH
        • morganfield1
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
            I know you were trying to keep this a secret, but I guess the cat is
            out of the bag (you are the Orical, after all).
            Tip one, Morgan

            >Hi Harry,
            > I have been monitoring these emails and it seems you have a lot of
            knowledge.
          • juliet kent
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 3, 2007
              Would you mind forwarding that picture to me too Ian. Am thinking of having
              a crack at making one and it sounds simple enough even for me. Cheers ,
              Juliet

              >From: "Ian" <ian@...>
              >To: <Distillers@yahoogroups.com>
              >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: RUM
              >Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 08:40:30 +1000
              >
              >Gidday once again :)
              >
              >A PDA-1 is exactly what you don't want too be making rum, or any flavoured
              >sprit,
              >Unless you want too make rum that tastes like cheep vodka :)
              >
              >It'll make an almost flavourless sprit, at a high %,
              >
              >You want a simple pot still, Ive forwarded you a picture of mine,
              >Pot stills are super easy too make,

              Live Search delivers results the way you like it. Try live.com now!
              http://www.live.com