Re: [Distillers] Re: RUM

  • Robert Thomas
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
      Perhaps I should have posted it on the 1st of april!
      Rob.

      --- Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "anthony547357"
      > <Anthony.Athawes@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > -Thank you for this Rob. You're the first person to come up with an
      >
      > > answer.
      > <snip>
      > >
      > > Tony A
      >

      > Oops! The sarcasm got lost, Rob. :)
      >

      > Slainte!
      > regards Harry

      Cheers,
      Rob.

      Get your own web address.
    • cornfeints
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony Athawes"
        <anthony.athawes@...> wrote:

        > Yes, Ian, I did appreciate that the PDA was a highly refluctive –
        but the
        > high rate of production makes it an interesting future
        possibility. Are
        > there any drawings about?

        Hello guys, Please take it from someone who owns and uses a PDA1.
        This is a very flexible still. It can oprate fully packed with a
        high degree of reflux to produce neutral spirits or it can run
        detuned and without packing to produce flavor positive spirits such
        as rum amd whiskey (this is what I run 90% of the time). I couldn't
        ask for a boetter, more flexible unit.
      • Thomas Smith
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
          Hi Harry,

          I have been monitoring these emails and it seems you have a lot of knowledge. I have a question.  I make straight corn washes and the end product comes up bitter. I think I am not clearing the wash well enough. after straining through a nylon stocking and letting settle over night in 20 degree weather the top half is somewhat clear but the bottom half has the consistency of pancake batter.  does any body have any ideas on filtering this. perhaps a sand swimming pool filter or a centrifugal filter to clarifiy this for stripping. any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

          youngblood

          from the great white north----- Original Message -----
          > -Thank you for this Rob. You're the first person to come up with an
          > answer.
          <snip>

          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Smith"
            <smiththomas9263@...> wrote:

            > Hi Harry,
            >
            > I have been monitoring these emails and it seems you have a lot of
            knowledge. I have a question. I make straight corn washes and the
            end product comes up bitter. I think I am not clearing the wash well
            enough. after straining through a nylon stocking and letting settle
            over night in 20 degree weather the top half is somewhat clear but
            the bottom half has the consistency of pancake batter. does any
            body have any ideas on filtering this. perhaps a sand swimming pool
            filter or a centrifugal filter to clarifiy this for stripping. any
            information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

            > youngblood

            Centrifuges work...expensive.
            Sand filters work.........messy, time-consuming.
            Decanting into 20 lt pails & freezing works...I often do this, but
            then I've got the facilities.
            Time works....probably the best option of all for amateur stillers.

            If you don't open the fermenter, you avoid the possibility of
            infections. Then you can just leave it sit for a week or so before
            distilling. Two benefits of this...
            1) The yeast will go dormant & drop out (which is what you want).
            2) The beer gets a Diacetyl rest (look it up). Beneficial to final
            taste & quality of spirits.

          • Trid
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
              --- Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

              > 2) The beer gets a Diacetyl rest (look it up). Beneficial to final
              > taste & quality of spirits.

              If I recall correctly, in the context of whisky, diacetyl is desirable.
              Doesn't this correspond with using butter as an anti-foaming agent in terms of
              flavor profile? Then again, in the context of rum, it could all be different.

              Either way, I figured I'd at least raise the question.

              Trid
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007

                > --- Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:
                >
                > > 2) The beer gets a Diacetyl rest (look it up). Beneficial to
                final
                > > taste & quality of spirits.
                >
                > If I recall correctly, in the context of whisky, diacetyl is
                desirable.
                > Doesn't this correspond with using butter as an anti-foaming agent
                in terms of
                > flavor profile? Then again, in the context of rum, it could all
                be different.

                > Either way, I figured I'd at least raise the question.
                >
                > Trid

                And a good question to raise, Trid.
                Diacetyl is the scourge of brewers. Some yeast strains produce
                copious amounts of it. However a LITTLE in whisky is not so bad.
                It provides a slight butterscotch flavour (which is why they use
                butter to kill foaming; it's flavour is compatible).

                But butterscotch notes in rums, vodkas, or really anything else bar
                whisky is not part of those spirits' flavour & aroma profiles.

              • Thomas Smith
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
                  Acording to Smileys book you should never let the wash set  but distill  right away to avoid off flavors.  is this just his opinion or have you found this not to be true?

                  Tom

                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
                    <smiththomas9263@...> wrote:

                    > Acording to Smileys book you should never let the wash set but
                    distill right away to avoid off flavors. is this just his opinion
                    or have you found this not to be true?

                    > Tom

                    It depends on what you're making, and what you're using as a
                    substrate (sugar source). For most grain-based whiskys, it's normal
                    to distil off as soon as the ferment is done. This is to avoid
                    spoilage as it is common for grains to carry large colonies of
                    bacteria. When the ferment is nearly complete, the more hardy (pH
                    tolerant) of these can then have a chance to multiply. Sometimes
                    this is actually desirable, most often not. Lactobacillus is one
                    that is desirable for whisky, yet is a known producer of Diacetyl
                    among other things.

                    It depends on what style you're after. Remember there's well over
                    4,000 different Scotch Malts & blends alone, not to mention the
                    American & Irish contributions. This early distilling of whisky
                    beers also accounts for the small amount of diacetyl commonly
                    present (and tolerated) in the distillate, as there has been no
                    diacetyl rest.

                    The situation is different for molasses or sugar beers (used for
                    rums & sometimes vodkas). Clarified molasses has almost no bacteria
                    left in it. In fact a culture of bacteria obtained from cane
                    bagasse (processed fibre) is often ADDED to the ferment to enhance
                    the product flavours. Refined sugar has no bacteria. Both of these
                    will produce beers (ferments) that can stand several weeks of
                    settling or storage, PROVIDED the container seal has not been
                    breached or opened to atmosphere as this WILL allow bacteria in and
                    the result will be spoilt beer.

                    In all cases, even your whiskys, if you find that your strain of
                    yeast is producing a decidedly butterscotch overtone in your
                    finished spirits, then you have to decide if this is what you want
                    in your style of product. If you like it, then just continue as you
                    normally do. If not, then you need to give your finished beer a
                    diacetyl rest, which will reduce the amount via yeast reabsorption.

                    For a very good description on Diacetyl, its formation & how to
                    remove it, go here...
                    http://beerme.com/diacetyl.shtml

                    HTH
                  • morganfield1
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
                      I know you were trying to keep this a secret, but I guess the cat is
                      out of the bag (you are the Orical, after all).
                      Tip one, Morgan

                      >Hi Harry,
                      > I have been monitoring these emails and it seems you have a lot of
                      knowledge.
                    • juliet kent
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 3, 2007
                        Would you mind forwarding that picture to me too Ian. Am thinking of having
                        a crack at making one and it sounds simple enough even for me. Cheers ,
                        Juliet

                        >From: "Ian" <ian@...>
                        >To: <Distillers@yahoogroups.com>
                        >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: RUM
                        >Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 08:40:30 +1000
                        >
                        >Gidday once again :)
                        >
                        >A PDA-1 is exactly what you don't want too be making rum, or any flavoured
                        >sprit,
                        >Unless you want too make rum that tastes like cheep vodka :)
                        >
                        >It'll make an almost flavourless sprit, at a high %,
                        >
                        >You want a simple pot still, Ive forwarded you a picture of mine,
                        >Pot stills are super easy too make,

                        Live Search delivers results the way you like it. Try live.com now!
                        http://www.live.com