Re: RUM

    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "anthony547357"
      <Anthony.Athawes@...> wrote:

      > -Thank you for this Rob. You're the first person to come up with an
      > answer.
      <snip>

      > Tony A

      Oops! The sarcasm got lost, Rob. :)

    • Robert Thomas
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
        Perhaps I should have posted it on the 1st of april!
        Rob.

        --- Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "anthony547357"
        > <Anthony.Athawes@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > -Thank you for this Rob. You're the first person to come up with an
        >
        > > answer.
        > <snip>
        > >
        > > Tony A
        >

        > Oops! The sarcasm got lost, Rob. :)
        >

        > Slainte!
        > regards Harry

        Cheers,
        Rob.

        Get your own web address.
      • cornfeints
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony Athawes"
          <anthony.athawes@...> wrote:

          > Yes, Ian, I did appreciate that the PDA was a highly refluctive –
          but the
          > high rate of production makes it an interesting future
          possibility. Are
          > there any drawings about?

          Hello guys, Please take it from someone who owns and uses a PDA1.
          This is a very flexible still. It can oprate fully packed with a
          high degree of reflux to produce neutral spirits or it can run
          detuned and without packing to produce flavor positive spirits such
          as rum amd whiskey (this is what I run 90% of the time). I couldn't
          ask for a boetter, more flexible unit.
        • Thomas Smith
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
            Hi Harry,

            I have been monitoring these emails and it seems you have a lot of knowledge. I have a question.  I make straight corn washes and the end product comes up bitter. I think I am not clearing the wash well enough. after straining through a nylon stocking and letting settle over night in 20 degree weather the top half is somewhat clear but the bottom half has the consistency of pancake batter.  does any body have any ideas on filtering this. perhaps a sand swimming pool filter or a centrifugal filter to clarifiy this for stripping. any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

            youngblood

            from the great white north----- Original Message -----
            > -Thank you for this Rob. You're the first person to come up with an
            > answer.
            <snip>

            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Smith"
              <smiththomas9263@...> wrote:

              > Hi Harry,
              >
              > I have been monitoring these emails and it seems you have a lot of
              knowledge. I have a question. I make straight corn washes and the
              end product comes up bitter. I think I am not clearing the wash well
              enough. after straining through a nylon stocking and letting settle
              over night in 20 degree weather the top half is somewhat clear but
              the bottom half has the consistency of pancake batter. does any
              body have any ideas on filtering this. perhaps a sand swimming pool
              filter or a centrifugal filter to clarifiy this for stripping. any
              information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

              > youngblood

              Centrifuges work...expensive.
              Sand filters work.........messy, time-consuming.
              Decanting into 20 lt pails & freezing works...I often do this, but
              then I've got the facilities.
              Time works....probably the best option of all for amateur stillers.

              If you don't open the fermenter, you avoid the possibility of
              infections. Then you can just leave it sit for a week or so before
              distilling. Two benefits of this...
              1) The yeast will go dormant & drop out (which is what you want).
              2) The beer gets a Diacetyl rest (look it up). Beneficial to final
              taste & quality of spirits.

            • Trid
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
                --- Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

                > 2) The beer gets a Diacetyl rest (look it up). Beneficial to final
                > taste & quality of spirits.

                If I recall correctly, in the context of whisky, diacetyl is desirable.
                Doesn't this correspond with using butter as an anti-foaming agent in terms of
                flavor profile? Then again, in the context of rum, it could all be different.

                Either way, I figured I'd at least raise the question.

                Trid
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007

                  > --- Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > 2) The beer gets a Diacetyl rest (look it up). Beneficial to
                  final
                  > > taste & quality of spirits.
                  >
                  > If I recall correctly, in the context of whisky, diacetyl is
                  desirable.
                  > Doesn't this correspond with using butter as an anti-foaming agent
                  in terms of
                  > flavor profile? Then again, in the context of rum, it could all
                  be different.

                  > Either way, I figured I'd at least raise the question.
                  >
                  > Trid

                  And a good question to raise, Trid.
                  Diacetyl is the scourge of brewers. Some yeast strains produce
                  copious amounts of it. However a LITTLE in whisky is not so bad.
                  It provides a slight butterscotch flavour (which is why they use
                  butter to kill foaming; it's flavour is compatible).

                  But butterscotch notes in rums, vodkas, or really anything else bar
                  whisky is not part of those spirits' flavour & aroma profiles.

                • Thomas Smith
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
                    Acording to Smileys book you should never let the wash set  but distill  right away to avoid off flavors.  is this just his opinion or have you found this not to be true?

                    Tom

                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
                      <smiththomas9263@...> wrote:

                      > Acording to Smileys book you should never let the wash set but
                      distill right away to avoid off flavors. is this just his opinion
                      or have you found this not to be true?

                      > Tom

                      It depends on what you're making, and what you're using as a
                      substrate (sugar source). For most grain-based whiskys, it's normal
                      to distil off as soon as the ferment is done. This is to avoid
                      spoilage as it is common for grains to carry large colonies of
                      bacteria. When the ferment is nearly complete, the more hardy (pH
                      tolerant) of these can then have a chance to multiply. Sometimes
                      this is actually desirable, most often not. Lactobacillus is one
                      that is desirable for whisky, yet is a known producer of Diacetyl
                      among other things.

                      It depends on what style you're after. Remember there's well over
                      4,000 different Scotch Malts & blends alone, not to mention the
                      American & Irish contributions. This early distilling of whisky
                      beers also accounts for the small amount of diacetyl commonly
                      present (and tolerated) in the distillate, as there has been no
                      diacetyl rest.

                      The situation is different for molasses or sugar beers (used for
                      rums & sometimes vodkas). Clarified molasses has almost no bacteria
                      left in it. In fact a culture of bacteria obtained from cane
                      bagasse (processed fibre) is often ADDED to the ferment to enhance
                      the product flavours. Refined sugar has no bacteria. Both of these
                      will produce beers (ferments) that can stand several weeks of
                      settling or storage, PROVIDED the container seal has not been
                      breached or opened to atmosphere as this WILL allow bacteria in and
                      the result will be spoilt beer.

                      In all cases, even your whiskys, if you find that your strain of
                      yeast is producing a decidedly butterscotch overtone in your
                      finished spirits, then you have to decide if this is what you want
                      in your style of product. If you like it, then just continue as you
                      normally do. If not, then you need to give your finished beer a
                      diacetyl rest, which will reduce the amount via yeast reabsorption.

                      For a very good description on Diacetyl, its formation & how to
                      remove it, go here...
                      http://beerme.com/diacetyl.shtml

                      HTH
                    • morganfield1
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
                        I know you were trying to keep this a secret, but I guess the cat is
                        out of the bag (you are the Orical, after all).
                        Tip one, Morgan

                        >Hi Harry,
                        > I have been monitoring these emails and it seems you have a lot of
                        knowledge.
                      • juliet kent
                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 3, 2007
                          Would you mind forwarding that picture to me too Ian. Am thinking of having
                          a crack at making one and it sounds simple enough even for me. Cheers ,
                          Juliet

                          >From: "Ian" <ian@...>
                          >To: <Distillers@yahoogroups.com>
                          >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: RUM
                          >Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 08:40:30 +1000
                          >
                          >Gidday once again :)
                          >
                          >A PDA-1 is exactly what you don't want too be making rum, or any flavoured
                          >sprit,
                          >Unless you want too make rum that tastes like cheep vodka :)
                          >
                          >It'll make an almost flavourless sprit, at a high %,
                          >
                          >You want a simple pot still, Ive forwarded you a picture of mine,
                          >Pot stills are super easy too make,

                          Live Search delivers results the way you like it. Try live.com now!
                          http://www.live.com