Re: RUM

  • anthony547357
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
      -Thank you for this Rob. You're the first person to come up with an
      answer. I have to hand what I call a "Saudi" still drawing that was
      written up possibly 20 years ago. It appears to work continuously by
      syphoning, so what happens to the methanol? At any rate, I have
      wondered who the author was - and whether he is still with us.

      Tony A

      -- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...>

      _______________

      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "anthony547357"
        <Anthony.Athawes@...> wrote:

        > -Thank you for this Rob. You're the first person to come up with an
        > answer.
        <snip>

        > Tony A

        Oops! The sarcasm got lost, Rob. :)

      • Robert Thomas
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
          Perhaps I should have posted it on the 1st of april!
          Rob.

          --- Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "anthony547357"
          > <Anthony.Athawes@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > -Thank you for this Rob. You're the first person to come up with an
          >
          > > answer.
          > <snip>
          > >
          > > Tony A
          >

          > Oops! The sarcasm got lost, Rob. :)
          >

          > Slainte!
          > regards Harry

          Cheers,
          Rob.

          Get your own web address.
        • cornfeints
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony Athawes"
            <anthony.athawes@...> wrote:

            > Yes, Ian, I did appreciate that the PDA was a highly refluctive –
            but the
            > high rate of production makes it an interesting future
            possibility. Are
            > there any drawings about?

            Hello guys, Please take it from someone who owns and uses a PDA1.
            This is a very flexible still. It can oprate fully packed with a
            high degree of reflux to produce neutral spirits or it can run
            detuned and without packing to produce flavor positive spirits such
            as rum amd whiskey (this is what I run 90% of the time). I couldn't
            ask for a boetter, more flexible unit.
          • Thomas Smith
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
              Hi Harry,

              I have been monitoring these emails and it seems you have a lot of knowledge. I have a question.  I make straight corn washes and the end product comes up bitter. I think I am not clearing the wash well enough. after straining through a nylon stocking and letting settle over night in 20 degree weather the top half is somewhat clear but the bottom half has the consistency of pancake batter.  does any body have any ideas on filtering this. perhaps a sand swimming pool filter or a centrifugal filter to clarifiy this for stripping. any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

              youngblood

              from the great white north----- Original Message -----
              > -Thank you for this Rob. You're the first person to come up with an
              > answer.
              <snip>

              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Smith"
                <smiththomas9263@...> wrote:

                > Hi Harry,
                >
                > I have been monitoring these emails and it seems you have a lot of
                knowledge. I have a question. I make straight corn washes and the
                end product comes up bitter. I think I am not clearing the wash well
                enough. after straining through a nylon stocking and letting settle
                over night in 20 degree weather the top half is somewhat clear but
                the bottom half has the consistency of pancake batter. does any
                body have any ideas on filtering this. perhaps a sand swimming pool
                filter or a centrifugal filter to clarifiy this for stripping. any
                information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

                > youngblood

                Centrifuges work...expensive.
                Sand filters work.........messy, time-consuming.
                Decanting into 20 lt pails & freezing works...I often do this, but
                then I've got the facilities.
                Time works....probably the best option of all for amateur stillers.

                If you don't open the fermenter, you avoid the possibility of
                infections. Then you can just leave it sit for a week or so before
                distilling. Two benefits of this...
                1) The yeast will go dormant & drop out (which is what you want).
                2) The beer gets a Diacetyl rest (look it up). Beneficial to final
                taste & quality of spirits.

              • Trid
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
                  --- Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

                  > 2) The beer gets a Diacetyl rest (look it up). Beneficial to final
                  > taste & quality of spirits.

                  If I recall correctly, in the context of whisky, diacetyl is desirable.
                  Doesn't this correspond with using butter as an anti-foaming agent in terms of
                  flavor profile? Then again, in the context of rum, it could all be different.

                  Either way, I figured I'd at least raise the question.

                  Trid
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007

                    > --- Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > 2) The beer gets a Diacetyl rest (look it up). Beneficial to
                    final
                    > > taste & quality of spirits.
                    >
                    > If I recall correctly, in the context of whisky, diacetyl is
                    desirable.
                    > Doesn't this correspond with using butter as an anti-foaming agent
                    in terms of
                    > flavor profile? Then again, in the context of rum, it could all
                    be different.

                    > Either way, I figured I'd at least raise the question.
                    >
                    > Trid

                    And a good question to raise, Trid.
                    Diacetyl is the scourge of brewers. Some yeast strains produce
                    copious amounts of it. However a LITTLE in whisky is not so bad.
                    It provides a slight butterscotch flavour (which is why they use
                    butter to kill foaming; it's flavour is compatible).

                    But butterscotch notes in rums, vodkas, or really anything else bar
                    whisky is not part of those spirits' flavour & aroma profiles.

                  • Thomas Smith
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
                      Acording to Smileys book you should never let the wash set  but distill  right away to avoid off flavors.  is this just his opinion or have you found this not to be true?

                      Tom

                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
                        <smiththomas9263@...> wrote:

                        > Acording to Smileys book you should never let the wash set but
                        distill right away to avoid off flavors. is this just his opinion
                        or have you found this not to be true?

                        > Tom

                        It depends on what you're making, and what you're using as a
                        substrate (sugar source). For most grain-based whiskys, it's normal
                        to distil off as soon as the ferment is done. This is to avoid
                        spoilage as it is common for grains to carry large colonies of
                        bacteria. When the ferment is nearly complete, the more hardy (pH
                        tolerant) of these can then have a chance to multiply. Sometimes
                        this is actually desirable, most often not. Lactobacillus is one
                        that is desirable for whisky, yet is a known producer of Diacetyl
                        among other things.

                        It depends on what style you're after. Remember there's well over
                        4,000 different Scotch Malts & blends alone, not to mention the
                        American & Irish contributions. This early distilling of whisky
                        beers also accounts for the small amount of diacetyl commonly
                        present (and tolerated) in the distillate, as there has been no
                        diacetyl rest.

                        The situation is different for molasses or sugar beers (used for
                        rums & sometimes vodkas). Clarified molasses has almost no bacteria
                        left in it. In fact a culture of bacteria obtained from cane
                        bagasse (processed fibre) is often ADDED to the ferment to enhance
                        the product flavours. Refined sugar has no bacteria. Both of these
                        will produce beers (ferments) that can stand several weeks of
                        settling or storage, PROVIDED the container seal has not been
                        breached or opened to atmosphere as this WILL allow bacteria in and
                        the result will be spoilt beer.

                        In all cases, even your whiskys, if you find that your strain of
                        yeast is producing a decidedly butterscotch overtone in your
                        finished spirits, then you have to decide if this is what you want
                        in your style of product. If you like it, then just continue as you
                        normally do. If not, then you need to give your finished beer a
                        diacetyl rest, which will reduce the amount via yeast reabsorption.

                        For a very good description on Diacetyl, its formation & how to
                        remove it, go here...
                        http://beerme.com/diacetyl.shtml

                        HTH
                      • morganfield1
                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
                          I know you were trying to keep this a secret, but I guess the cat is
                          out of the bag (you are the Orical, after all).
                          Tip one, Morgan

                          >Hi Harry,
                          > I have been monitoring these emails and it seems you have a lot of
                          knowledge.
                        • juliet kent
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 3, 2007
                            Would you mind forwarding that picture to me too Ian. Am thinking of having
                            a crack at making one and it sounds simple enough even for me. Cheers ,
                            Juliet

                            >From: "Ian" <ian@...>
                            >To: <Distillers@yahoogroups.com>
                            >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: RUM
                            >Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 08:40:30 +1000
                            >
                            >Gidday once again :)
                            >
                            >A PDA-1 is exactly what you don't want too be making rum, or any flavoured
                            >sprit,
                            >Unless you want too make rum that tastes like cheep vodka :)
                            >
                            >It'll make an almost flavourless sprit, at a high %,
                            >
                            >You want a simple pot still, Ive forwarded you a picture of mine,
                            >Pot stills are super easy too make,

                            Live Search delivers results the way you like it. Try live.com now!
                            http://www.live.com