RUM

  • anthony547357
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 30 9:22 AM
      Will somebody please tell me how to get at the Arroya patent in
      Harry's tasty time library (the Alc. Library).
      I don't want to search through hundreds of pages on how treacle etc
      is made.

      I'm just on the verge of attempting to make up Rum from 25 litre
      Molasses and Brown Sugar mix. (OG was 1100 and has only dropped to
      1038. Will make a lighter wash next time).

      If I don't see the Arroya, here's my plan if anyone would like to
      shoot at it.

      1.Get rid of the methanol in the normal way. Take out copper packing
      to 30%.
      2.Distill up to about 90 C barely using reflux in the WCS.
      3.May get about 5 litres (a gallon) of 50 %ABV spirit.
      4.Put the spirit back into the boiler.
      5.Add at least a litre of the last knockings that may be on the way
      to becoming "Dunder".
      6.If that doesn't cover the element, add water up to a safe limit.
      7.Redistil. Hopefully with some Rum aromas and taste.
      8.A third run?
      9.We'll leave the charcoal to later.
      10.Watch out for foaming - I already had that when adding the sugar!

      Any advice appreciated.

      Tony A
    • Derek Hamlet
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 30 9:36 AM
        Sometimes all the stuff that is in the mollases inhibits the growth
        of yeast and makes it difficult to get a complete fermentation.
        My way around this is to start with a fairly low SG mixture to
        start. The yeast usually handles this just fine and you get a decent
        fermentation happening.
        Then you continue to add mollasses to the mix and the yeast acclimitizes.
        Of course one has to do a few proportions to begin with so that you
        end up with the desired alcohol content in your product.
        I'm lazy I like high yield mashes. However, everything I've ever
        read suggests that if you want the flavors to come out in your
        finished distilled product it is best to start with a fairly low
        alcohol beer in your still.
        When distilling for flavor I usually go with an 8% beer. I then do a
        fast strip run to try and get abolutely anything in the various
        ranges of alcohol.
        Then I do a much slower pot still run being very careful about the cuts.
        A starting SG of 1.1 would give slightly over 13% alcohol in
        winemaking if you let it go to completion. In the fermentation of
        mollasses however there are many non fermentable compounds in the
        stuff which contribute to a higher SG. Harry once published a table
        to give some guidance in this are.
        So, fermenting mollasses would never let you get down to an SG of say .996.

        Best of luck with your product.
        Your 1.038 might not be too bad an expectation of fermentation results.
        At 09:22 AM 3/30/2007, you wrote:
        >s made.
        >
        >I'm just on the verge of attempting to make up Rum from 25 litre
        >Molasses and Brown Sugar mix. (OG was 1100 and has only dropped to
        >1038. Will make a lighter wash next time).

        ;-)Derek
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 30 2:28 PM
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "anthony547357"
          <Anthony.Athawes@...> wrote:

          > Will somebody please tell me how to get at the Arroya patent in
          > Harry's tasty time library (the Alc. Library).
          > I don't want to search through hundreds of pages on how treacle etc
          > is made.

          Learn to use the search function. That's what it's there for.

          Click on the [Search] button, top-left...type in "arroyo" (without the
          quotes, & get the spelling right).

          A little piece of advice. If you're not prepared to do the research
          using all available sources, then you'll never achieve the results
          you're after. There's no such thing as a 10-line "howto".

        • anthony547357
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 31 1:41 AM

            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "anthony547357"
            > <Anthony.Athawes@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Will somebody please tell me how to get at the Arroya patent in
            > > Harry's tasty time library (the Alc. Library).
            > > I don't want to search through hundreds of pages on how treacle
            etc
            > > is made.
            >

            > Learn to use the search function. That's what it's there for.
            >
            > http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/
            >
            > Click on the [Search] button, top-left...type in "arroyo" (without
            the
            > quotes, & get the spelling right).

            Thank you for this Harry, I've done plenty of reading (probably 2"
            of print outs - so am now interested in a concise direction for
            making rum. I had used the search facility, and got to the Library
            title. Unfortunately, I had be given a slightly incorrect reference -
            "arroya" instead of "arroyo", and "tastytime" instead
            of "tastylime". The full might of the computer didn't penetrate to
            what I was after, and I couldn't see a proper index. Perhaps I
            didn't search carefully enough......perhaps there's something in the
            system that might be improved?

            Anyway, thank you for your info and I'm sure I'll get there.

            Thank you Derrick (hope I've got that name right I don't dare to
            check back your last night's email before sending this) for your
            experience. I think my mis-understanding centres around whether to
            do only one distillation with many cuts (using Dunder from a
            previous distillation - that I haven't so far got), or whether one
            puts it all back in the pot and do a second distillation, using the
            some of the last knockings from the first.

            By Gove! I feel my ignorance is over-exposed to 5,000 members of the
            forum though, in actual fact, there do seem to be only a handful of
            regular contributors. If you have anything to add to Derrick's
            (Derek? though I know a Derryk, Derricks are cranes?), please come
            back

            Tony A

            > A little piece of advice. If you're not prepared to do the
            research
            > using all available sources, then you'll never achieve the results
            > you're after. There's no such thing as a 10-line "howto".
            >

            > Slainte!
            > regards Harry

          • Ian
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 31 3:24 AM
              If its any consolation, I forgive you ;)

              Sorry!  ha-ha..   we all need too lighten up!, espsh with yahoo giving us the grief it is!

              How I do it..  right or wrong!..  Is Mix up a batch of molasses + water + yeast,  Give it a good stir,..  week or so later, drop it in the still.. Good splash of olive oil too stop it foaming!..
              Run it as fast as I can with out fear of foamup!!. 1.8kw X 2 till its hot,  then drop back too 1.8 flat out, and 1/2 throttle on the next!..

              toss the first 100ml or so,  then keep the rest till I believe im wasting power for the output!.. normally down too about 50%,  sometimes I let it go longer(forget too check)  and sometimes shorter (keen too get too the pub)..

              I do this 3-4+ times, (each time adding the previous 'what's left over, dunder?' into the next wash!) sometimes I add so much that I have too tip a bit out too add the molasses (between 5 and 10l)!, I do 3,4 or more  25-30l batches so I get a decent amount of product,  giving my next (and final) run enough product too make the cuts easy!,
              generally about 15-20l of gear,  at about 70%

              I then simply fill the boiler with water till I cover the elements,  Then dump the sprit in!,  I don't add anything else at this stage!!.. I'm not sure if it would benefit from adding some 'dunder'?

              I run full power till the boiler is too hot too touch, But before the column heats up I turn the power right down,  I believe this separates the nasties a little bit better,

              I collect in rum/sprit bottles, Tip out the first 200ml or so, then collect in 500-700ml  lots, Till I have a big long line of bottles in the kitchen!

              I believe this is the most important bit!!  Deleting the nasties at this stage = good rum! don't be greedy!

              I turn the heat up a little after the 3rdish bottle! and let it run till im sick of waiting!,

              Sniff out the good bottles!,
              Put 5l @ 40-50% into a demi with oak chips,
              5l @ 40-50 with a few pepper corns

              what's left @ 40-50% with a desert spoon full of maple syrup, desert spoon of glycerine

              few weeks later mix them together and bottle it!

              Tip that down your chin with cola or orange juice :)

              I'm yet too hear a bad word about my ""rum!"",  So I must be doing something right?

              I also don't think there is any hard/fast rule!,  I'm lazy,

              chuck in random amounts of molasses..  tip yeast (I use wine yeast)into washes that are 'too hot' (over 40degc)..  Yet too have one not ferment and I cant tell any difference in the end product!

              Good luck!,,  As long as it puts a smile on your face at some stage in the whole process and makes you wobble! your a winner!

              ----- Original Mes
              sage -----
              Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2007 6:41 PM
              Subject: [Distillers] Re: RUM

              --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@ ...> wrote:

              > --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "anthony547357"
              > <Anthony.Athawes@ > wrote:
              > >
              > > Will somebody please tell me how to get at the Arroya patent in
              > > Harry's tasty time library (the Alc. Library).
              > > I don't want to search through hundreds of pages on how treacle
              etc
              > > is made.
              >

              > Learn to use the search function. That's what it's there for.
              >
              > http://distillers. tastylime. net/library/
              >
              > Click on the [Search] button, top-left...type in "arroyo" (without
              the
              > quotes, & get the spelling right).

              Thank you for this Harry, I've done plenty of reading (probably 2"
              of print outs - so am now interested in a concise direction for
              making rum. I had used the search facility, and got to the Library
              title. Unfortunately, I had be given a slightly incorrect reference -
              "arroya" instead of "arroyo", and "tastytime" instead
              of "tastylime". The full might of the computer didn't penetrate to
              what I was after, and I couldn't see a proper index. Perhaps I
              didn't search carefully enough...... perhaps there's something in the
              system that might be improved?

              Anyway, thank you for your info and I'm sure I'll get there.

              Thank you Derrick (hope I've got that name right I don't dare to
              check back your last night's email before sending this) for your
              experience. I think my mis-understanding centres around whether to
              do only one distillation with many cuts (using Dunder from a
              previous distillation - that I haven't so far got), or whether one
              puts it all back in the pot and do a second distillation, using the
              some of the last knockings from the first.

              By Gove! I feel my ignorance is over-exposed to 5,000 members of the
              forum though, in actual fact, there do seem to be only a handful of
              regular contributors. If you have anything to add to Derrick's
              (Derek? though I know a Derryk, Derricks are cranes?), please come
              back

              Tony A

              > A little piece of advice. If you're not prepared to do the
              research
              > using all available sources, then you'll never achieve the results
              > you're after. There's no such thing as a 10-line "howto".
              >

              > Slainte!
              > regards Harry

              Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            • anthony547357
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 31 7:57 AM
                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ian" <ian@...> wrote:
                >Thank you very much for this Ian and also Derek who replied last
                night.

                It is just what I wanted for my first faltering steps in Rum
                production. I wouldn't mind betting there are a few more out there
                who will appreciate your knowledge and experience - and, to some
                extent your conciseness (I followed up Harry's advice and nearly had
                my eyeballs drop out after all the books on Rum by Arroyo and
                others).

                Also came across the PDA1 still that produces an almost unbelievable
                60 cc per minute! Mine is a WCStill.

                Thank you both once again and I'll let you know how I get on - next
                week sometime when the the wife's out of the kitchen for a day.

                Tony A

                30/03/2007 1:15 PM

              • Robert Thomas
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 31 8:41 AM
                  --- anthony547357 <Anthony.Athawes@...> wrote:

                  <snip>
                  > 60 cc per minute! Mine is a WCStill.

                  Now that i'd like to see! A WC still! I guess you have to be fairly
                  quick before it is needed for other duties? Is it continuous, fed from
                  the cistern? Or just batch mode with a flush for each new charge of
                  wash?

                  Rob.

                  Cheers,
                  Rob.

                  http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265
                • Anthony Athawes
                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 31 9:07 AM

                    Hi Rob,

                    I admire your imagination and constructiveness. However, it stands for “World Class Still”. I’ve always thought it a rather high-blown title but would like to know the name of its inventor. Whatever, this reflux model seems to be well thought of. You might make one for £50 though mine cost double that having to get some of the more skilled work done outside. I’d like to have a PDA1.

                    Tony A

                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 31 9:32 AM
                      Ah, the World Class still!
                      That was Dr. Inigo World and Professor Johan-Gustav Class that invented
                      that one.
                      ;)
                      Rob.

                      --- Anthony Athawes <anthony.athawes@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Rob,
                      >
                      > I admire your imagination and constructiveness. However, it stands
                      > for
                      > “World Class Still”. I’ve always thought it a rather high-blown title
                      > but
                      > would like to know the name of its inventor. Whatever, this reflux
                      > model
                      > seems to be well thought of. You might make one for £50 though mine
                      > cost
                      > double that having to get some of the more skilled work done outside.
                      > I’d
                      > like to have a PDA1.
                      >
                      > Tony A

                      Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.
                    • Ian
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 31 3:40 PM
                        Gidday once again :)

                        A PDA-1 is exactly what you don't want too be making rum,  or any flavoured sprit,
                        Unless you want too make rum that tastes like cheep vodka :)

                        It'll make an almost flavourless sprit, at a high %,

                        You want a simple pot still,  Ive forwarded you a picture of mine,
                        Pot stills are super easy too make,

                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007

                          Yes, Ian, I did appreciate that the PDA was a highly refluctive – but the high rate of production makes it an interesting future possibility. Are there any drawings about?

                          For the Rum, I’ll stick to 30% packing and no reflux on the WCP. I shall use your olive oil treatment (at sea it was surprising how a little oil would improve conditions), and leave the lid off up to 60 C. Thereafter, I think it will be a blend of your’s and Derek’s methods – probably, a first speedy pass followed by fine cuts and introduction of Dunder

                          Thank you both very much for all your help. Finland has promised a contribution ASAP. Hope it’s in English!

                          Tony A

                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
                            -Thank you for this Rob. You're the first person to come up with an
                            answer. I have to hand what I call a "Saudi" still drawing that was
                            written up possibly 20 years ago. It appears to work continuously by
                            syphoning, so what happens to the methanol? At any rate, I have
                            wondered who the author was - and whether he is still with us.

                            Tony A

                            -- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...>

                            _______________

                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
                              <Anthony.Athawes@...> wrote:

                              > -Thank you for this Rob. You're the first person to come up with an
                              > answer.
                              <snip>

                              > Tony A

                              Oops! The sarcasm got lost, Rob. :)

                            • Robert Thomas
                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
                                Perhaps I should have posted it on the 1st of april!
                                Rob.

                                --- Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

                                > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "anthony547357"
                                > <Anthony.Athawes@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > -Thank you for this Rob. You're the first person to come up with an
                                >
                                > > answer.
                                > <snip>
                                > >
                                > > Tony A
                                >

                                > Oops! The sarcasm got lost, Rob. :)
                                >

                                > Slainte!
                                > regards Harry

                                Cheers,
                                Rob.

                                Get your own web address.
                              • cornfeints
                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
                                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony Athawes"
                                  <anthony.athawes@...> wrote:

                                  > Yes, Ian, I did appreciate that the PDA was a highly refluctive –
                                  but the
                                  > high rate of production makes it an interesting future
                                  possibility. Are
                                  > there any drawings about?

                                  Hello guys, Please take it from someone who owns and uses a PDA1.
                                  This is a very flexible still. It can oprate fully packed with a
                                  high degree of reflux to produce neutral spirits or it can run
                                  detuned and without packing to produce flavor positive spirits such
                                  as rum amd whiskey (this is what I run 90% of the time). I couldn't
                                  ask for a boetter, more flexible unit.
                                • Thomas Smith
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
                                    Hi Harry,

                                    I have been monitoring these emails and it seems you have a lot of knowledge. I have a question.  I make straight corn washes and the end product comes up bitter. I think I am not clearing the wash well enough. after straining through a nylon stocking and letting settle over night in 20 degree weather the top half is somewhat clear but the bottom half has the consistency of pancake batter.  does any body have any ideas on filtering this. perhaps a sand swimming pool filter or a centrifugal filter to clarifiy this for stripping. any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

                                    youngblood

                                    from the great white north----- Original Message -----
                                    > -Thank you for this Rob. You're the first person to come up with an
                                    > answer.
                                    <snip>

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
                                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Smith"
                                      <smiththomas9263@...> wrote:

                                      > Hi Harry,
                                      >
                                      > I have been monitoring these emails and it seems you have a lot of
                                      knowledge. I have a question. I make straight corn washes and the
                                      end product comes up bitter. I think I am not clearing the wash well
                                      enough. after straining through a nylon stocking and letting settle
                                      over night in 20 degree weather the top half is somewhat clear but
                                      the bottom half has the consistency of pancake batter. does any
                                      body have any ideas on filtering this. perhaps a sand swimming pool
                                      filter or a centrifugal filter to clarifiy this for stripping. any
                                      information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

                                      > youngblood

                                      Centrifuges work...expensive.
                                      Sand filters work.........messy, time-consuming.
                                      Decanting into 20 lt pails & freezing works...I often do this, but
                                      then I've got the facilities.
                                      Time works....probably the best option of all for amateur stillers.

                                      If you don't open the fermenter, you avoid the possibility of
                                      infections. Then you can just leave it sit for a week or so before
                                      distilling. Two benefits of this...
                                      1) The yeast will go dormant & drop out (which is what you want).
                                      2) The beer gets a Diacetyl rest (look it up). Beneficial to final
                                      taste & quality of spirits.

                                    • Trid
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
                                        --- Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

                                        > 2) The beer gets a Diacetyl rest (look it up). Beneficial to final
                                        > taste & quality of spirits.

                                        If I recall correctly, in the context of whisky, diacetyl is desirable.
                                        Doesn't this correspond with using butter as an anti-foaming agent in terms of
                                        flavor profile? Then again, in the context of rum, it could all be different.

                                        Either way, I figured I'd at least raise the question.

                                        Trid
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007

                                          > --- Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:
                                          >
                                          > > 2) The beer gets a Diacetyl rest (look it up). Beneficial to
                                          final
                                          > > taste & quality of spirits.
                                          >
                                          > If I recall correctly, in the context of whisky, diacetyl is
                                          desirable.
                                          > Doesn't this correspond with using butter as an anti-foaming agent
                                          in terms of
                                          > flavor profile? Then again, in the context of rum, it could all
                                          be different.

                                          > Either way, I figured I'd at least raise the question.
                                          >
                                          > Trid

                                          And a good question to raise, Trid.
                                          Diacetyl is the scourge of brewers. Some yeast strains produce
                                          copious amounts of it. However a LITTLE in whisky is not so bad.
                                          It provides a slight butterscotch flavour (which is why they use
                                          butter to kill foaming; it's flavour is compatible).

                                          But butterscotch notes in rums, vodkas, or really anything else bar
                                          whisky is not part of those spirits' flavour & aroma profiles.

                                        • Thomas Smith
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
                                            Acording to Smileys book you should never let the wash set  but distill  right away to avoid off flavors.  is this just his opinion or have you found this not to be true?

                                            Tom

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
                                              <smiththomas9263@...> wrote:

                                              > Acording to Smileys book you should never let the wash set but
                                              distill right away to avoid off flavors. is this just his opinion
                                              or have you found this not to be true?

                                              > Tom

                                              It depends on what you're making, and what you're using as a
                                              substrate (sugar source). For most grain-based whiskys, it's normal
                                              to distil off as soon as the ferment is done. This is to avoid
                                              spoilage as it is common for grains to carry large colonies of
                                              bacteria. When the ferment is nearly complete, the more hardy (pH
                                              tolerant) of these can then have a chance to multiply. Sometimes
                                              this is actually desirable, most often not. Lactobacillus is one
                                              that is desirable for whisky, yet is a known producer of Diacetyl
                                              among other things.

                                              It depends on what style you're after. Remember there's well over
                                              4,000 different Scotch Malts & blends alone, not to mention the
                                              American & Irish contributions. This early distilling of whisky
                                              beers also accounts for the small amount of diacetyl commonly
                                              present (and tolerated) in the distillate, as there has been no
                                              diacetyl rest.

                                              The situation is different for molasses or sugar beers (used for
                                              rums & sometimes vodkas). Clarified molasses has almost no bacteria
                                              left in it. In fact a culture of bacteria obtained from cane
                                              bagasse (processed fibre) is often ADDED to the ferment to enhance
                                              the product flavours. Refined sugar has no bacteria. Both of these
                                              will produce beers (ferments) that can stand several weeks of
                                              settling or storage, PROVIDED the container seal has not been
                                              breached or opened to atmosphere as this WILL allow bacteria in and
                                              the result will be spoilt beer.

                                              In all cases, even your whiskys, if you find that your strain of
                                              yeast is producing a decidedly butterscotch overtone in your
                                              finished spirits, then you have to decide if this is what you want
                                              in your style of product. If you like it, then just continue as you
                                              normally do. If not, then you need to give your finished beer a
                                              diacetyl rest, which will reduce the amount via yeast reabsorption.

                                              For a very good description on Diacetyl, its formation & how to
                                              remove it, go here...
                                              http://beerme.com/diacetyl.shtml

                                              HTH
                                            • morganfield1
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
                                                I know you were trying to keep this a secret, but I guess the cat is
                                                out of the bag (you are the Orical, after all).
                                                Tip one, Morgan

                                                >Hi Harry,
                                                > I have been monitoring these emails and it seems you have a lot of
                                                knowledge.
                                              • juliet kent
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Apr 3, 2007
                                                  Would you mind forwarding that picture to me too Ian. Am thinking of having
                                                  a crack at making one and it sounds simple enough even for me. Cheers ,
                                                  Juliet

                                                  >From: "Ian" <ian@...>
                                                  >To: <Distillers@yahoogroups.com>
                                                  >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: RUM
                                                  >Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 08:40:30 +1000
                                                  >
                                                  >Gidday once again :)
                                                  >
                                                  >A PDA-1 is exactly what you don't want too be making rum, or any flavoured
                                                  >sprit,
                                                  >Unless you want too make rum that tastes like cheep vodka :)
                                                  >
                                                  >It'll make an almost flavourless sprit, at a high %,
                                                  >
                                                  >You want a simple pot still, Ive forwarded you a picture of mine,
                                                  >Pot stills are super easy too make,

                                                  Live Search delivers results the way you like it. Try live.com now!
                                                  http://www.live.com