sink drain flange for 2" npt connection

  • Robert Hubble
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 28, 2007
      Well, I'm finally out of patience with splitting 5-gallon washes so I can
      distill them in a 5-gallon cooker without foaming and blow-through. I have a
      great 9-gallon stainless brewkettle with a perforated false bottom and drain
      valve, so I figured I'm about 90% there.

      I plan to use a lid gasket cut from a kitchen silicone rubber pad, and a
      double handfull of the document springclips to hold the lid on and sealed.

      I like the idea of bolting and brazing a stainless sink outlet fitting to
      the newly-bored lid of the kettle, to affix my 2" copper column, but here is
      my question, unresolved by a bunch of web searches: Is it possible to find
      the sink drain fittings in such a size that I can connect my 2" copper (male
      or female - I can go either way [did *I* say that??!!!]) to it with a
      minimum of reductions or adapters?

      I can't seem to get ANY information about what threads and diameters are
      available in these fittings. Anyone out there got any insight?

      Oh yeah, this is all US sizes, if there was a question.

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

    • diskmaster23
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 29, 2007
        Check out McMaster-Carr here http://tinyurl.com/28or34
        They have all kinds of floor flanges from different kinds of metal to
        sizes.

        Disk

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Hubble" <zymurgybob@...> wrote:

        > Well, I'm finally out of patience with splitting 5-gallon washes so
        I can
        > distill them in a 5-gallon cooker without foaming and blow-through.
        I have a
        > great 9-gallon stainless brewkettle with a perforated false bottom
        and drain
        > valve, so I figured I'm about 90% there.
        >
        > I plan to use a lid gasket cut from a kitchen silicone rubber pad,
        and a
        > double handfull of the document springclips to hold the lid on and
        sealed.

        > I like the idea of bolting and brazing a stainless sink outlet
        fitting to
        > the newly-bored lid of the kettle, to affix my 2" copper column, but
        here is
        > my question, unresolved by a bunch of web searches: Is it possible
        to find
        > the sink drain fittings in such a size that I can connect my 2"
        copper (male
        > or female - I can go either way [did *I* say that??!!!]) to it with a
        > minimum of reductions or adapters?
        >
        > I can't seem to get ANY information about what threads and diameters
        are
        > available in these fittings. Anyone out there got any insight?
        >
        > Oh yeah, this is all US sizes, if there was a question.
        >

        > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

        > Get a FREE Web site, company branded e-mail and more from Microsoft
        Office
        > Live! http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/mcrssaub0050001411mrt/direct/01/

      • morganfield1
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 29, 2007
          Hello Robert,
          What I did was solder the keeper nut (that goes on the bottom of the
          drain) on to the bottom of the the column. That way it just screws
          right on to it. Thing is, I had to go to my local plumbing supply to
          get a nut that was actually made out of brass (as opposed to plastic,
          plastic don't solder very well). BUT, if you can find an actual sweat
          fitting in McCarr with the right threads, that's the way to go.
          Tip one, Morgan

          wrote:

          > I like the idea of bolting and brazing a stainless sink outlet
          fitting to
          > the newly-bored lid of the kettle, to affix my 2" copper column,
          but here is
          > my question, unresolved by a bunch of web searches: Is it possible
          to find
          > the sink drain fittings in such a size that I can connect my 2"
          copper (male
          > or female - I can go either way [did *I* say that??!!!]) to it with
          > minimum of reductions or adapters?

        • Trid
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 29, 2007
            --- Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@...> wrote:

            > Well, I'm finally out of patience with splitting 5-gallon washes so I can
            > distill them in a 5-gallon cooker without foaming and blow-through. I have a
            > great 9-gallon stainless brewkettle with a perforated false bottom and drain
            > valve, so I figured I'm about 90% there.
            >
            > I plan to use a lid gasket cut from a kitchen silicone rubber pad, and a
            > double handfull of the document springclips to hold the lid on and sealed.

            As I understand, silicone pads of that size can be pretty spendy. I found the
            perfect solution to be putting a generous bead of RTV along the rim of the lid
            (I use a stainless mixing bowl). Then lay down some Saran Wrap on your kitchen
            counter to cover an area bigger than your lid. Smooth out as many wrinkles as
            you can and place the bread buttered-side down, rather, the lid silicone-side
            down on to the plastic wrap...squish down only sufficiently to make solid
            contact the full circumference of the lid and where the bead squishes slightly
            outside of the rim. Let it sit for a day to cure, peel off the plastic wrap,
            trim the excess silicone from the outside with a razor knife, and you have an
            amazing seal, dirt cheap, and without a huge sheet of silicone left over after
            cutting the right size. For a more generous seal, repeat once more and allow 2
            days to cure after peeling and trimming.

            > I like the idea of bolting and brazing a stainless sink outlet fitting to
            > the newly-bored lid of the kettle, to affix my 2" copper column, but here is
            > my question, unresolved by a bunch of web searches: Is it possible to find
            > the sink drain fittings in such a size that I can connect my 2" copper (male
            > or female - I can go either way [did *I* say that??!!!]) to it with a
            > minimum of reductions or adapters?
            >
            > I can't seem to get ANY information about what threads and diameters are
            > available in these fittings. Anyone out there got any insight?

            Well...we were talking earlier about 2" galvanized floor flanges, $8-10 at
            Lowe's/Home Despot. If you wish to avoid the ordeal of protecting any exposed
            threads from the vapor and vice versa, you could also do the same with
            stainless, but the price tag goes WAY up (mcmaster.com product number 43505K356
            as an example...brass (4429K556) is over $150.

            Honestly, the little bit of labor involved with making one's own copper flange
            out of a short section of 2" pipe is worth the effort, though I haven't
            undertaken it (still happy with the galvo rig). http://tinyurl.com/38ruu2

            Finally, another option I'm pondering is to take a 2" male threaded fitting and
            cutting the threaded portion of a female threaded fitting to use as a nut and
            making something akin to a 2" EMT (thinwall conduit) connector out of copper.

            Food for thought,
            Trid
          • nenengstoute
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 30, 2007
              i used spend a lot of time at hospitals and as i said mikey boy also
              has allergies and uses a nebulizer machine,mary rose too now. well
              anyway i've got a crap load of silicone tubing.Trid musta got his
              stainless bowl at wally world like i did. so anyway if you silicone
              the top of the bowl and cut to fit the silicone tubing,it'll also
              make a great gasket. i also run nito fuel for rc engines through
              it,use it for gas lines on boat motors and motorcycles ect. use it to
              siphon wine and whisky too. stuffs indestructable and free doesn't
              get any cheaper. mike --
              - In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Trid <triddlywinks@...> wrote:

> [...]
              any exposed
              > threads from the vapor and vice versa, you could also do the same
              with
              > stainless, but the price tag goes WAY up (mcmaster.com product
              number 43505K356
              > as an example...brass (4429K556) is over $150.
              >
              > Honestly, the little bit of labor involved with making one's own
              copper flange
              > out of a short section of 2" pipe is worth the effort, though I
              haven't
              > undertaken it (still happy with the galvo rig).
              http://tinyurl.com/38ruu2

              > Finally, another option I'm pondering is to take a 2" male threaded
              fitting and
              > cutting the threaded portion of a female threaded fitting to use as
              a nut and
              > making something akin to a 2" EMT (thinwall conduit) connector out

            • Phil Napoli
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 30, 2007
                Bob,
                For my 2 valve reflux still I substituted a brass shower base for the
                sink drain. This is available at Home Depot & Lowes (stop and look
                at one). This fitting has a rubber like compression ring in it. I
                removed the ring and soldered the 2" pipe in. The fitting is quite
                loose in the main body and tighter on the threaded ring I just filled
                the whole thing with solder and feel this is stronger then butt
                soldering on that little ring. The drain then fits into a stainless
                bowl like most everyone elses.

                Regards,
                Phil

                wrote:

                > Well, I'm finally out of patience with splitting 5-gallon washes so
                I can
                > distill them in a 5-gallon cooker without foaming and blow-through.
                I have a
                > great 9-gallon stainless brewkettle with a perforated false bottom
                and drain
                > valve, so I figured I'm about 90% there.
                >
                > I plan to use a lid gasket cut from a kitchen silicone rubber pad,
                and a
                > double handfull of the document springclips to hold the lid on and
                sealed.

                > I like the idea of bolting and brazing a stainless sink outlet
                fitting to
                > the newly-bored lid of the kettle, to affix my 2" copper column,
                but here is
                > my question, unresolved by a bunch of web searches: Is it possible
                to find
                > the sink drain fittings in such a size that I can connect my 2"
                copper (male
                > or female - I can go either way [did *I* say that??!!!]) to it with
                > minimum of reductions or adapters?
                >
                > I can't seem to get ANY information about what threads and
                diameters are
                > available in these fittings. Anyone out there got any insight?
                >
                > Oh yeah, this is all US sizes, if there was a question.
                >

                > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                > Get a FREE Web site, company branded e-mail and more from Microsoft
                Office
                > Live! http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/mcrssaub0050001411mrt/direct/01/

              • William Hutchins
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 30, 2007
                  The same brass 1-1/2" sink drain nut that you use for a 1-1/2"
                  Bokabob mini will work fine on a 2" pipe too. With a little tapping
                  with a hammer and wood block it will fit inside and can be
                  soldered on.

                  I creates a slight obstruction at the bottom you have to squeeze
                  your packing by, but actually quite useful for keeping the packing
                  in place.

                  _______________
                  > Get a FREE Web site, company branded e-mail and more from
                  Microsoft Office
                  > Live!

                • Robert Hubble
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 31, 2007
                    Thanks, Disk, Morgan, and Trid,

                    First off, disk, thanks for pointing me to teh falanges, which are NOT the
                    floor flanges I thought, but are flanges for actually joining plumbing with
                    gaskets. The stainless one I like is 52.23 USD, and after I got to where I
                    could EXhale, I think I'll do it. For some reason, I could never find this
                    page in McMaster-Carr's site before.

                    Morgan, it may just be my perception, but I think my setup requires more
                    mechanical strength than my soldering at the base of the column would give
                    it. This DOES, however, open up a lot of possibilities, and I'm going to
                    take a stub of 2" copper pipe to the sink section of the hardware store, to
                    see what's possible. Because of where I live, exotic hardware has to be
                    web-ordered.

                    Trid, I've done mental design approaches of the silicone-seal gasket for the
                    cooker lid, but I like your method better than any I've though of. I'm kinda
                    luke-warm on the galvanized flange, and for another 45 USD I can avoid those
                    complications with the stainless flange. The fabricated copper
                    flange/mounting is truly cool. but I have an idea that I can screw off the
                    still column and screw in a lid handle, for when I use the kettle for
                    brewing.

                    Thanks for all the ideas, guys, and I hope to get to the project immediately
                    after the scotch project I'm about 3/4 through. With washes at only 4-5%
                    abv, I'm going through a MESS of grain and beer-stripping runs, for just a
                    modest amount of ageable product. I'm getting REALLY optimistic about this
                    batch, though, because even the low wines hold an element of absolutely
                    delicious scotch bouquet.

                    (I'm just telling you that part because I'm happy)

> [...]

                    >exposed
                    >threads from the vapor and vice versa, you could also do the same with
                    >stainless, but the price tag goes WAY up (mcmaster.com product number
                    >43505K356
                    >as an example...brass (4429K556) is over $150.
                    >
                    >Honestly, the little bit of labor involved with making one's own copper
                    >flange
                    >out of a short section of 2" pipe is worth the effort, though I haven't
                    >undertaken it (still happy with the galvo rig). http://tinyurl.com/38ruu2
                    >
                    >Finally, another option I'm pondering is to take a 2" male threaded fitting
                    >and
                    >cutting the threaded portion of a female threaded fitting to use as a nut
                    >and
                    >making something akin to a 2" EMT (thinwall conduit) connector out of

                    5.5%* 30 year fixed mortgage rate. Good credit refinance. Up to 5 free
                    quotes - *Terms
                    https://www2.nextag.com/goto.jsp?product=100000035&url=%2fst.jsp&tm=y&search=mortgage_text_links_88_h2a5d&s=4056&p=5117&disc=y&vers=910
                  • Trid
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 1, 2007
                      --- Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@...> wrote:
                      > Thanks for all the ideas, guys, and I hope to get to the project immediately
                      > after the scotch project I'm about 3/4 through. With washes at only 4-5%
                      > abv, I'm going through a MESS of grain and beer-stripping runs, for just a
                      > modest amount of ageable product. I'm getting REALLY optimistic about this
                      > batch, though, because even the low wines hold an element of absolutely
                      > delicious scotch bouquet.
                      >
                      > (I'm just telling you that part because I'm happy)

                      Right nifty :)
                      If there's ever an opportunity, I'd love to have a taste of that batch. That's
                      one of the portions of th "art" that I'm still working on. My brewing skills
                      are still in need of honing, but I'm working on it.

                      I still have about 3 gallons of sour mash/thin mash peated malt whisky low
                      wines. I think I'll be polishing those today.

                      Cheers,
                      Trid