Re: Column attachment (was: Column construction)

  • nenengstoute
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 28, 2007
      Thanks Trid,glad to know there's some people out there like me. i'm
      in it for the learning as well as the hobby. making mistakes only
      teaches me something i didn't know. guess i'm gonna go with the galvo
      floor flange again,it's just the easiest way to do it and nobody died
      or went blind yet. i'm not looking to make neutral spirits anyway.
      i'm a rum drinker,and i'm starting to love that pure corn crash too.
      when i go offline i'm gonna pull a bottle of rice whiskey out my
      aging carboy and filter and cut it to see what that taste like. i've
      gotta nuther keg full of corn crash fermenting now,just in case.
      Thanks again and Mabuhay. mike ---
      In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Trid <triddlywinks@...> wrote:

      > --- diskmaster23 <diskmaster23@...> wrote:
      >
      > > I have to say something about this buying cheaper parts stuff.
      > >
      > > If I were you, I would invest properly into your Still. If you
      make
      > > your Still right the first time, you will not have to
      keep "fixing" or
      > > adding Teflon tape every once in awhile. Spend the extra money
      and get
      > > the right parts and build your Still right from the beginning.
      > >
      > > I understand that many people might not have access or money to
      the
      > > proper parts, but lets all just sit back and think about how many
      > > times we had to rebuild something or fix something because we
      took a
      > > short-cut on a certain area. I can tell you from experience that
      I am
      > > experiencing fundamental problems because I decided to do a short-
      cut
      > > or did it half-arsed.
      > >
      > > Does anybody else disagree with me? If so, please let your
      concerns be
      > > known.
      >
      > Since you asked :)
      > I only partly agree with you. We're in this hobby because we like
      to do things
      > ourselves. I doubt few of us have made the sum total of their
      product for less
      > money than they could have bought it for at the store, considering
      man-hours,
      > materials, ingredients, the occasional botched batch, etc. At the
      risk of
      > sounding cliche', the hobby is almost as much about the process, or
      the
      > 'journey', as it is about the product. It's about having fun and
      the
      > satisfaction of a job well done after learning, experimenting,
      trial and error
      > (lots of error on my part) and tormenting SWMBO with "here, smell
      this."

      > We could just as easily purchase any one of a wide variety of pre-
      fab stills,
      > many times of a much higher quality and lower net cost than what we
      put
      > together on our own. Instead, we gather together what we can to
      make a
      > workable still out of readily available materials. Not everybody
      can find a
      > store with 2 inch copper pipe or fittings on the shelf. Then comes
      the price
      > of copper that makes everybody cringe. Thus, we improvise the best
      we can. I
      > lucked out in that I found a stainless mixing bowl that fit the top
      of my
      > boiler perfectly, and had a flat bottom that matched the 2 inch
      galvanized
      > floor flange perfectly. Thusfar, the teflon has performed
      flawlessly, as has
      > the silicone covering any remaining galvo threads. I replaced the
      silicone
      > once out of fidgetiness and it was ugly looking. I've made plenty
      of mistakes
      > along the way, too...not washing the flux off thoroughly enough
      and seeing it
      > in the product...cutting the wrong side of the 1 inch pipe and
      having to either
      > deal with a shorter condenser and getting to work, or waiting a few
      days.
      > There are all kinds of improvisations and adaptations using
      unorthodox
      > materials...some good, some bad. I think we can all agree that a
      PVC condenser
      > or column is just plain bad and can cite numerous reasons why.
      Still, beyond