alcohol % from brix readings?

  • djpotpie
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 21 7:07 AM
      I am fermenting out a molasses wash and taking readings with a
      refractometer. Is there a formula to figure out alcohol % from the
      difference in the starting and finishing readings?

      also...I have found that the readings actually go up after fermentation
      is over. For example: one wash I made started at 20.9 Brix, 5 days
      later it was 10.8 but after 2 more days it was up to 11.7! Anyone know
      what causes that?

      and one more question if I may, why does my open fermenter get
      consistently lower alcohol production than closed fermenters? Is it the
      fermenter geometry? I would think the extra oxygen uptake would
      increase fermentation if anything.

      cheers, -mike