heating elements

  • blueflame456
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 13, 2001
      am in the process of making a valved reflux still as described in the
      info online and want to use electric instead of gas for heat-- using
      a keg as a boiler -- could anyone give me an idea of the approximate
      size of element or elements to use -- with or without thermostat
      control--
      thakn you kindly

      bllueflame 456
    • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 13, 2001
        > am in the process of making a valved reflux still as described in the
        > info online and want to use electric instead of gas for heat-- using
        > a keg as a boiler -- could anyone give me an idea of the approximate
        > size of element or elements to use -- with or without thermostat
        > control--

        I scale up/down for what works for me ... using scrubbers for packing
        suits a 1.5" diameter column at 1800W

        so .. for constant vapour rate per cross-sectional area ...

        1.00" = 800 W
        1.25" = 1250 W
        1.50" = 1800 W
        1.75" = 2450 W
        2.00" = 3200 W
        2.25" = 4050 W
        2.50" = 5000 W

        Tony
      • klcampbell
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 14, 2001
          G'day blue,what volume keg do you intend to use?.
          This designates how much power is required and then we look at the physical size of the tower and balance the system to produce what ever you require.
          Regards,Ken.

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 16, 2001
            am in the process of building a valved reflux still and would like to
            use electric heating elements-- have got the info from Tony on the
            size of the elements and would like to know if a controller from a
            pottery kiln would suffice since it is used to maintain constant temp
            .-- any help would be appreciated

            thanks
            blueflame
          • klcampbell
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 17, 2001
              G'day Blue,what you need to do is find out what the tolerance for that unit is,there is a great difference between 1200 or 1300 degrees used in firing pottery and the 78 to 95 degrees used in our chosen hobby.
              Pottery can possibly tolerate plus or minus 5 or 10 degrees where we need to run with a tolerance of .5 of one degree.
              I know that some of our members do not run controllers but I have proven it to myself that too much heat only causes more trouble than it solves,Regards,Ken.

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 9, 2009
                would it be alright to use a water heater element to boil the mash? and if not where do i look for a proper element?
              • KM Services
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 9, 2009

                  would it be alright to use a water heater element to boil the mash? and if not where do i look for a proper element?

                  I is pretty much standard here in New Zealand to have electric elements. We can get them from electrical suppliers or our local brew shop, you can use electric kettle elements they are easily obtained, I have 2# 100watt in my 50litre boiler. A word of caution though if your mash is high in solids the internal element can cause things to catch and burn other have solutions for this

                  Cheers

                  Ken Mc

                • KM Services
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 9, 2009

                    I have 2# 1500watt in my 50litre boiler

                    Cheers

                    Ken Mc

                     Sorry Typo

                  • rye_junkie1
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 10, 2009
                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mrbubblz22" <akk0322@...> wrote:

                      > would it be alright to use a water heater element to boil the mash? and if not where do i look for a proper element?

                      Really a question for New Distillers Group
                      but to add to what Ken said, You should be very careful that the wash is cleared well when using Internal elements. I uses a 1440w and either a 950w or 650w and never had a problem with a relatively clear wash. However i did a experiment run with 2 650w elements and a wash that purposely had a lot of grain solids and yeast trub in it and it wasn't pretty and if left unattended could have been hazardous. The crust that built up on the elements insulated them well enough that it melted the plastic on the outside of the elements where the wires hook up. Smiley Writes in his book that a 750w element will not burn/scorch a wash with solids in it. Granted I didnt just put the theory to the test but also the Stress test. Just be careful.

                      Mason