Re: Fwd: Kumquat and Star Anise Rum

  • anthony547357
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5, 2007
      This sounds great - but am I right in asuming you made the white and
      dark Rums yourself?

      I have used Subsonic's formula for Rum (peppercorns, cinnamon etc),
      but both he and I are not really sure it tastes/smells of Rum. We
      both use refluxing stills and at least agree the the result is
      something very pleasant.

      I guess you use a Pot Still and plenty of molasses and three passes.
      If anyone can tell how to make rum rum, in a reflux still we'd be
      glad to hear.

      Tony

      PS. I've tried essense but wasn't too sure of the results.

      - In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@...> wrote:

      > --- In BEVERAGE-RECIPE@yahoogroups.com, AJ <aj788888@> wrote:
      >
      > Kumquat and Star Anise Rum
      >
      > Wonderful around the holidays. Makes a great homemade gift when
      > placed in a decanter or interesting bottle.
      >
      > 2 cups water
      > 4 1/2 cups sugar
      > 1 quart. kumquats, cleaned well and pricked well with a fork
      > 1 vanilla bean, cut in half and scraped
      > 5 star anise pods
      > 2 750 ml. bottles white rum
      > 1 750 ml. bottle dark rum
      >
      > Combine the water, sugar, kumquats and vanilla and simmer until the
      > mixture makes a nice syrup (reduce by about half). Add the star
      anise
      > and mix well. Cool to room temperature, then add the rum. Stir
      well to
      > incorporate the syrup and the rum. Soak and scrape labels off the
      > bottles and dry well. Place pieces of the fruit and spices in each
      > bottle and top with the flavored rum. Screw cap back on and store
      > until needed.
      > Makes a great after-dinner drink, wonderful with cigars.
      > Makes 4 bottles.

      > --- End forwarded message ---

    • subsonic40grain
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 6, 2007
        Tony, Rob Thomas gave me some great pointers on Rum. I used Demerara
        he used Horse feed (cheers Rob - found it now!) and running to a high
        end condensor temp made it for me. I never did the Dunder mind, but
        he has and I am sure he can point you in the right direction (I think
        I sent you my doc. on his pointers?- if not e-mail me off forum for
        it). My formula was a spiced rum less the star anise (based on one in
        the library), but it has all gone hic.. :( need to get going
        again.... OH and Harrys pointers were the ones I used albeit on a
        tiny scale for the 'cuts'. But high end temps made it for me and I
        may be a peasant in that respect. Rob Thomas is good on rum.

        Subsonic.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "anthony547357"