Re: Carbohydrates remaining after fermentation - BADLY off-topic

  • pint_o_shine
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2007
      Malto-dextrin is one of the sugars I know of that remains after
      mashing and fermenting. It gives that desired mouth feel. This is the
      stuff the low carb beers are missing. They use a glucosidase enzyme to
      convert it to glucose before the fermentation. It is the same sugar
      that artificial coffee creamer is made of. I am sure there are other
      complex sugars left but this is the only one I know of that we can
      digest to glucose.
    • Robert Hubble
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2007
        Thanks pint,

        That's exactly what I was looking for. I didn't know that malto-dextring was
        a sugar (the name threw me off), or that it digested to glucose.

        I KNEW this was the right group.

        Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

        >From: "pint_o_shine" <pintoshine@...>
        >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [Distillers] Re: Carbohydrates remaining after fermentation -
        >BADLY off-topic
        >Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 21:01:15 -0000
        >
        >Malto-dextrin is one of the sugars I know of that remains after
        >mashing and fermenting. It gives that desired mouth feel. This is the
        >stuff the low carb beers are missing. They use a glucosidase enzyme to
        >convert it to glucose before the fermentation. It is the same sugar
        >that artificial coffee creamer is made of. I am sure there are other
        >complex sugars left but this is the only one I know of that we can
        >digest to glucose.

        Don�t miss your chance to WIN 10 hours of private jet travel from Microsoft�