grape moonshine (wine) ??

  • njadpco
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2007
      i have seen several listings on the internet saying grape moonshine,
      well it is a grape wine you take 2 12oz. cans of frozen grape juice
      and 3 1 1/2 cups sugar and yeast and let set for 30 days and strain
      then drink.

      I have 3 questions

      a) can this be done with any frozen juice?
      b) what is the best yeast to use for high alcohol?
      c) what would this taste like to run thru pot still?
    • Derek Hamlet
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2007
        You can make wine from just about anything.
        Frozen grape juice will work. Something confuses me about this
        recipe. 2 12oz. cans will not produce much volume even once you add
        water at 3 to 1.
        I'd be concerned about the flavor.
        Like anything else the quality of the product depends on the quality
        and balance of the ingredients. You may want to read up a bit about
        titratable acids, ph, specific gravity (sugar) etc. High alcohol
        content usually means a reduction in mellow flavors. Most wines you
        will find are around 13-14 %.
        Lalvin EC1118 is a good all round yeast that is tolerable up to about
        20% before the alcohol kills the yeast. In practical terms most
        folks have trouble getting it up beyond 18%. Putting it through a
        pot still effectively means you are producing brandy.
        I don't know what frozen grape juice costs, but it might be
        interesting to compare that to some of the kits and juices available
        at your local wine store.
        I have no data, but I'm guessing that's a lot of dollars for frozen
        grape juice which might well be Concord grapes. Concords make
        excellent grape drinks for quenching thirst. Historically on the N.
        American continent there were lots of wines made from Concords. They
        were universally laughed at by wine connisseurs.
        These days of course, the availability of hardy strains of most of
        the world's best grapes are available for winemakers.
        For wine I buy the very best grapes I can afford. For hooch, I don't
        waste time on grapes.
        At 11:18 AM 3/2/2007, you wrote:

        >i have seen several listings on the internet saying grape moonshine,
        >well it is a grape wine you take 2 12oz. cans of frozen grape juice
        >and 3 1 1/2 cups sugar and yeast and let set for 30 days and strain
        >then drink.
        >
        >I have 3 questions
        >
        >a) can this be done with any frozen juice?
        >b) what is the best yeast to use for high alcohol?
        >c) what would this taste like to run thru pot still?
        >
        >_

        ;-)Derek