Rum

  • Richard Esslinger
    Message 1 of 42 , Mar 2, 2007
      Hi Hinken:

      First of all, I should say that I like to keep it simple.  I appreciate the folks who go to the trouble of cracking corn, malting their own grains, and trying to promulgate their own yeast strains and the like but to be honest I just don't do all that.  As long as I am happy with the end product I don't feel the need to "get back to basics".  That being said:

      My rum recipe is very simple.  For a 25L batch I use 16 lbs of dark brown cane sugar, one quart of unsulfered molasses, and a pack of MileHi Turbo 48.  I run it through my reflux still at 85% and end up with  close to 4 quarts uncut.  That gives me two gallons cut.  I usually set half aside in oak and then filter the other half and use it as a white rum.  It is very good.

      Vodka by definition doesn't have a strong flavor however in my opinion the best vodkas are clean with a hint of wheat.  When making wheat vodka I usually use either wheat extract or dried wheat extract.  I know the purist would shake their heads and say I was being sacrosanct, but the end product tastes the same so why hassle it.  Anyway in a 25L batch I use either a 5lb can of wheat extract or 6 lbs of dried wheat extract and cane sugar up to an OG of 1.1.

      Using real malted wheat is easy, you just have to grind it then steep it in 150f degree (65c) water for 45 minutes to convert the starches to sugars.  So, that being said, when I do go to the trouble of making it this way I steep 15 lbs of wheat, sparge it off into a fermentor and add cane sugar to bring it up to the same OG of 1.1.

      Then I reflux still it to 85% to 90%.  That leaves just enough wheat flavor to give it that crispness.

      I hope this helps.

      Cheers,
      Elricko

      Message 42 of 42 , Mar 28, 2009
        I have no idea where to get Clostridia bacteria, so I just add Indonesian ragi and Chinese jiuqu rice yeasts which are available to me in Chinese grocery stores. These provide wild tropical yeasts and bacteria.
        wal