Re: Reflux splitter

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2, 2007
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@...> >

      > Yep, but guess what happens when one reflux pipe is 2mm higher than
      > the other ...
      >
      > One large shotgun on top of four columns is also worth consideration.
      >
      > Cheers, Riku

      Agreed, on both counts. Personally, I wouldn't bother with a multi-
      column setup in the first place. Just get a bigger diameter column &
      more power if you really must have more volume/hour. The fabrication
      would be simpler for starters. But the guy asked for ideas for a
      splitter, so that's what he's getting, mine & yours (maybe others).
      Making the manifold (or any idea) function effectively is up to the
      builder. I guess we just can't help but be tinkerers.

    • povinstitute
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2, 2007
        ...One large shotgun on top of four columns is also worth
        consideration.

        Do you have a diagram of what you are suggesting here?

        Jeff

        > > Yep, but guess what happens when one reflux pipe is 2mm higher
        than
        > > the other ...
        > >
        > > One large shotgun on top of four columns is also worth
        consideration.

        > > Cheers, Riku
        >

        > Agreed, on both counts. Personally, I wouldn't bother with a
        multi-
        > column setup in the first place. Just get a bigger diameter
        column &
        > more power if you really must have more volume/hour. The
        fabrication
        > would be simpler for starters. But the guy asked for ideas for a
        > splitter, so that's what he's getting, mine & yours (maybe
        others).
        > Making the manifold (or any idea) function effectively is up to
        the
        > builder. I guess we just can't help but be tinkerers.
        >

        > Slainte!
        > regards Harry

      • abbababbaccc
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2, 2007
          Can't find it anymore. This is an old idea anyway. Let me describe it
          briefly:

          As an example we'll take four 2" columns and put them together so
          they form a bundle/bunch (each column touching each other to even out
          heat differences). Then we'll make a chamber on top of those columns
          and have a VM outlet from that chamber. On top of the chamber
          (actually the roof of that chamber) is a shotgun condenser. In that
          condenser we can group the pipes so that each column has the same
          number of pipes on top of them. The effect is roughly the same as
          having a 4" VM column with shotgun condenser.

          Cheers, Riku

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "povinstitute" <povinstitute@...>
          wrote:

          > ...One large shotgun on top of four columns is also worth
          > consideration.
          >
          > Do you have a diagram of what you are suggesting here?
          >
          > Jeff

        • anthony547357
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 3, 2007

            Might I just add a minor note to your very useful notes on dividing
            the stream?

            I, too, was intersted in seeing the flow of reflux. I found glass
            tube exceptionally easy to work with and under heat could bend 1/4"
            tube just about wherever I wanted it - a darned sight easier than
            copper tube!

            However, at that stage I didn't have proper needle valves, and I
            would say, that though one can see the signs of flow, they are not
            great. Narrower glass tube would concentrate matters, though I would
            keep to the accuracy of needle valve control.

            The joins to the copper tube were made from ordinary poly tube and
            butt-ended, so the absolute minimum of poly was exposed.

            Tony A