Re: Im wheated up!! what do i make??

  • elricko2
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2, 2007
      Ian:

      The wheat would need to be malted. Here is a link telling you how to
      do that:

      http://byo.com/feature/284.html

      Once it is malted you would just do a single infusion mash with your
      grain and add sugar to bring it up to the OG you are interested in.
      That way you would get the wheat flavor and the output.

      There might be other ways to do this, but this is how I would do it.

      Cheers!
    • pint_o_shine
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2, 2007
        If I possessed that much maltable wheat, and were capable of malting
        it efficiently, why would I want to add sugar? My preference whold be
        to utilized the resources on hand and forego the sugar. I prefer the
        full flavor of the grains over sugar anytime.
        So what if you can onle get 1.050 or 1,060 sg. That is an ideal
        feremntation environment for grain wash and it whould rock with flavor
        even after two times through a pot still.
        Call me old fashioned but in this case cheaper is better.
      • Ian
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 2, 2007
          Cheers for that!!  I'll start malting on Monday!!,..  I'll do one batch how you suggested!
          And an all wheat one for you pint_o_shine!,

          I've got a huge bucket full,  I think its a 80l drum, And mum's boyfriend owns a wheat farm,
          So if I can make anything thats desirable for him or me!  I'm thinking ill have an unlimited supply!
          Funny thing!  the farm just down the road from him grows corn!,
          Lets see if I can barter some wheat vodka for some corn ! :)

          I'm keen for a real smooth wheat vodka now!!..  ill go put my head in the drum!

          Thanks for the replys!  I'll post back with the outcome!  So you may have too excuse the spelling mistakes! :)

          The wheat would need to be malted. Here is a link telling you how to
          do that:

          http://byo.com/ feature/284. html

          Once it is malted you would just do a single infusion mash with your
          grain and add sugar to bring it up to the OG you are interested in.
          That way you would get the wheat flavor and the output.

          There might be other ways to do this, but this is how I would do it.

          Cheers!

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.